Speculation: Who will be the best players on waivers before the season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Seattle has like 17 forwards and 11 defencemen that are waivers eligible.

I wonder how many, if any get claimed.

A few teams could get their players back if they wish.

Reactions: banks

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think he gets waived to be honest. Who is he beating out?

Ritchie Matthews Marner
Bunting - Tavares- Nylander
Kerfoot - Kampf - Kase
Mikheyev - Spezza - Simmonds

One extra spot between Brooks, Anderson, Engvall, Gabriel, Amadio and Robertson.

You think they go 8 D? I feel like he and Robertson stick as the extra forwards

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Nashville has a few candidates...

1) Rem Pitlick - seems to be on the cusp of being ready for the NHL, but if both Tomasino and Glass make the team, it seems unlikely there'd be room for Pitlick even as a spare. He might end up falling between the cracks --- more of an offensive player, but not established enough for an offensive role, and not clearly suited to a depth/checking role either. Ideally we'd like him to clear and be an injury callup candidate and have a better chance of making the team full time in 2022-23.

2) Rocco Grimaldi - he is definitely an NHL caliber player, had a great season the year before on our 3rd line, but wasn't used as much last season. He's still got speed, energy, and he'll chip in some production when given the opportunity. Of course he's also tiny, which is probably why he has fallen out of favor with Hynes and could end up on waivers. If he does, it's too bad because he's a good little player, and it might be hard for other teams to commit to him at his size too.

3) Connor Ingram - before last season he was tracking to be our internal replacement for when Pekka Rinne retired. But his development went fully off the rails last season, even before he checked into rehab. He didn't look good after his return in Chicago either. So he's quite the unknown commodity at this point for us. We had to sign Rittich because it sure looks like Ingram needs another year in the minors to try to put things back together again. I can't imagine another team taking a chance on him at this point with his most recent track record, but who knows there are some truly dismal goaltending situations out there. If he did get claimed, I think we're fine with that, patching with a veteran like Rittich until Askarov is ready works fine for us.

I don't think the Preds would waive Mark Borowiecki... though we have some young guys pushing for that spot, Boro was completely derailed last year by personal issues too, I doubt the Preds would be so cold as to waive him at first. He'll probably get a chance to show if he's back to normal first.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Leafs will likely waive Adam Brooks, Joey Anderson, Michael Amadio, Kurtis Gabriel up front.
+ Brennan Menell on defence. Definitely some solid candidates from us.
From what i saw of Brooks someone should take him if he hits waivers. Hes got speed and tenacity that someone should be able to make bottom 6 player out of.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Edmonton has Tyler Benson, who could be claimed as he has proven he deserves a shot at making an NHL team. We also have Cooper Marody, Brendan Perlini and Alex Stalock who will likely not be claimed.

I could also see Edmonton waiving Koskinen, just to see if someone takes him. Which they won't.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Pacific Division candidates -
Anaheim -
Josh Mahura, LHD

Brendan Guhle, LHD
Greg Pattern, RHD

Edmonton -

Cooper Marody, F
Tyler Benson, LW
William Lagesson, LHD

Slater Koekkek, LHD
Kyke Turris, C
Mikko Koskinen, G

Flames
-
No one of interest

Kings -
Lias Andersson, F
Kale Clague, LHD

Olli, Maata, LHD
Christian Wolanin, LHD

Seattle -
Dennis Cholowski, LHD
Morgan Geekie, F

Alex True, F
Will Borgen, RHD
Cale Fleury, RHD

Colin Twarynski, LW
Kole Lind, LW

Sharks -

No one of interest

Canucks
-
Olli Juolevi, LHD
Brad Hunt, LHD
Zack MacEwn, F
Phil DiGiuseppe, F

Vegas -
No one of interest

*these are all potential candidates. Vegas, Calgary, & Sharks fans if you feel there is a player that would draw considerable interest, then please reply and I will repost the list.

Last edited:

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
The flyers board will have a meltdown if/when NAK is waived.

I think the only "notable" names that may be waived are former 1st round picks Rubstov and Morin. If Rubstov doesn't make the NHL this year, does he head home or report to the AHL?

Other than that, I'd only see one of the vets signed as depth being waiver potential, and they'd need to really stink at training camp. Brassard, Yandle, Thompson, would need to be passed by a couple of prospects.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Arizona -
No one of interest

Chicago -

Brett Connolly, F
Adam Gaudette, F
Ryan Carpenter, F
Collin Delia, G
Malcolm Subban, G

Colorado -
Dylan SIkura, F
Jacob Macdonald, LHD
Jonas Johansson, G

Dallas -

No one of interest

Minny -

No one of interest

Nashville
Rem Pitlick, F
Rocco Grimaldi, F

Ben Harpur, LHD
Matt Benning, RHD

St. Louis

Jake Walman, LHD
Steve Santini, RHD
Niko Mikkola, LHD

Jets
Sami Niku, LHD
Nathan Beaulieu, LHD

Last edited:

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Atlantic

Boston -
Zach Senyshyn, F
Steve Fogarty, F
Anton Bildh, F

Buffalo

Jimmy Schulde, D
Drake Caggiula, F
John Hayden, F
Ryan Macinnis, F

Detroit

Danny Dekeyser, LHD
Ryan Murphy, RHD
Taro Hirose, F

Florida

Ryan Lomberg, F
JukomLaamiko, F
Zac Dalpe, F

Montreal

Paul Byron, LW (but I think he is injured)

Ottawa
Victor Mete, LHD
Nick Holden, LHD
Josh Brown, RHD

Tampa

No one

Toronto
Joey Anderson, RW

Adam Brooks, C
Josh Ho Sang, RW
Alex Biega, RHD

Last edited:

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think he gets waived to be honest. Who is he beating out?

Ritchie Matthews Marner
Bunting - Tavares- Nylander
Kerfoot - Kampf - Kase
Mikheyev - Spezza - Simmonds

One extra spot between Brooks, Anderson, Engvall, Gabriel, Amadio and Robertson.
I think they can only run a 21-man roster because of cap restraints. They have to keep up only one forward or one defenseman. They do have 13 NHL forwards under contract. But, it makes sense to have a spare defenseman in case of injury more so than a spare forward, you don't want to be forced to 5D for a prolonged period, that's what they did last season and I expect them to do it again this season.

That would mean Pierre Engvall if not traded before waivers will be waived before the season.
I have a feeling leafs will try to keep menell on active roster for as long as possible because he will get swiped the second he's on waivers

They traded a conditional 7th for Menell. Liljegren is a 17th overall pick. I hope they value the development of Liljegren over the development of a likely waiver wire player. Dubas did that last season with Lehtonen and it was pointless. Dubas has said they're not going to block Sandin or Liljegren this season and I believe with his moves he has fallen suit. It made sense to get someone semi interesting to have as a callup behind Liljegren that will see time if someone gets injured, like Menell.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Metro
Columbus

Gabriel Carlsson, LHD
Mikko Lehtonen, LHD

Pittsburgh

Dom Simon, LW
Louis Domnigue, G
Sam Lafferty, F
Evan Rodrigues, F

Islanders

Leo Komarov, F
Richard Panik, F
Kieffer Bellows, F

Michael Dal Colle, F
Ross Johnston, F
Thomas Hickey, LHD
Sebastian Aho, LHD

Flyers
German Rubtsov, F
Sam Morin, D

Nate Thompson, F
Derick Brassard, F

Rangers

Jared Tinordi, D
Anthony Bitetto, D

Washington -
Matt irwin, LHD

New Jersey -
Scott Wedgewood, G

Carolina - no one of interest

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
what about Hutchinson? That seems to be an annual tradition.
He is in fact headed to the wire. Free of charge, get him while you can.

Forwards
Pierre Engvall
Joey Anderson
Adam Brooks
Kurtis Gabriel
Mike Amadio
Brett Seney

Defenseman
Brennan Menell
Carl Dahlstrom
Alex Biega
Teemu Kivihalme

Goalie
Mike Hutchinson

Most Likely To Be Claimed
Pierre Engvall
Brennan Menell
Adam Brooks
Joey Anderson
Mike Hutchinson

Malgin just signed in Switzerland for 4 years or he would have been an option. Him leaving does make Ho-Sang who is a PTO a little more likely to get an NHL contract instead of an AHL deal imo, he would then be waived as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: banks

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Flames -
No one of interest

*these are all potential candidates. Vegas, Calgary, & Sharks fans if you feel there is a player that would draw considerable interest, then please reply and I will repost the list.

Matthew Phillips and Oliver Kylington are both on the cusp of not only being NHLers, but very good ones. If the Flames elect to waive them, there's a chance another team takes a flyer on one of them, if not both.

Reactions: CF84 and SI

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I know nothing about him. but what about Cooper Marody?
Maroody is way too slow for the NHL. He's like the Jason Allison of the AHL. Puts up decent numbers, but I personally don't see him ever cracking an NHL squad.

Benson has been among the top-scorers of the AHL for 3 years now but for some reason or another, he's never been able to make that jump to the Oilers. Shocking considering how poor our depth was last season. He's in a bit of a tough spot, because Tippett prefers his bottom-6 to penalty kill, whereas his skillset is more tailored for the top-6 where there isn't any room to play. The knock on him has always been his skating.

I kinda hope he makes the roster and bumps Turris off. But if he shits the best like he has every other training camp then he's likely waived.

Any team with worse forward depth than the Oilers might take him from waivers, but not many teams fit that.
Seattle maybe?

I sorta feel like if he's not an Oiler, he's Europe bound.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad