Prospect Info: Who should the Jets draft? COVID edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RCAFguy

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
I don't even know if he's more mobile than Stanley. Stanley isn't the best skater in the world, heck he's not even the best 6'7 skater. But he can at least make some plays at speed. Kleven has a pretty damn good shot. Trouble is he sucks at using it. Everytime I watched the USDP squad it was like he had no idea when the right time to shoot was. Remember when Myers would have the puck and wait until the opposing forward was within like a foot of him and just slap it into their shins? Yeah Kleven has even worse timing than that. And if he manages to actually shoot at the right time he usually misses so wide or so high that he gives up possession because he shoots the puck so hard it rings right around the boards to the opposing team. When he's on the ice and gets the puck at the point you might as well just get out of the way and let him shoot. Start your breakout and the puck will probably land on your stick for nice easy breakout pass. I honestly have no idea how that kid made the USDP squad.
HAHAHA the so wide or high part reminds me so much of Freddie Olausson!!!

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Jarvis is a pretty big tool of Portland offense and he pretty much carries the puck at all times. He plays a similar style game to Kane. You just get him the puck and let him do the rest. I don't think he will have as big of an impact as Kane at the NHL level. But he could easily be as efficient as Ehlers at driving play.
Kane is what I saw as well other than he shoots right. Trade Laine put Kane on the right with Connor and Schiefele.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Liiga regular season starts today, and apparently Lundell's very strong pre-season has carried into the first regular season game.

I think this kid is NHL ready by the time the season starts. He could likely step in as a 3C on any team and not look out of place. The upside is definitely there but I don't think it will be instant if it happens. There is absolutely no way we get a shot at him if he keeps on trucking like this though.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Liiga regular season starts today, and apparently Lundell's very strong pre-season has carried into the first regular season game.

Stupid D+1 happening before the draft. I was ready to take him at 10 but he'll likely raise his value now.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He only has 1 more game before the draft, hard to believe that 2 regular season games would move him all that much.

He'll likely go to Buffalo at this point. They might have been a bit bullish on him before but they desperately need centers just as much as we do and I have a hard time seeing them pass on him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Seems likely to me that Lundell will be selected before Holtz. I'm guessing that Holtz might be a faller.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
He'll likely go to Buffalo at this point. They might have been a bit bullish on him before but they desperately need centers just as much as we do and I have a hard time seeing them pass on him.

Boy if you are Buffalo, and you have Eichel, Cozens, Lundell up the middle you are in a better spot than we are. As long as you don't sign too many Skinners and Okposos to long term deals.

If we don't draft a centre, we better look at trading for a young one, or else we may get left behind as other teams start to build up. 9 years ago is when we got Scheifele and Lowry.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think this kid is NHL ready by the time the season starts. He could likely step in as a 3C on any team and not look out of place. The upside is definitely there but I don't think it will be instant if it happens. There is absolutely no way we get a shot at him if he keeps on trucking like this though.

The upside is we either get a shot (if our org loves him) or he eats a draft slot ahead of us. :thumbu:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Lapierre with a nice start to the QMJHL season. A hard zone entry and a couple of down low battle wins by him leads to him getting the puck back near the point and he threads a beauty feed a person wide open to feet from the net resulting in a goal.

Edit:

Set up another grade A chance and also found Mercer back door but Mercer couldn't handle the pass.

Another assist by Lapierre in the second. He also just had a nice sequence where he was hard on the forecheck, won the puck, shielded the defender off and used his speed to gain enough separation to set a player up for a point blank slot shot.

Lapierre now with a PP goal. Nice patience and shot through a screen. Very nice first game in roughly 10 months.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

That's my hope too. I can't see him in the top 7, so if it comes to Buffalo, I wonder if they would take Roslovic as a sweetener to draft up at 8. Start him off between Ehlers and Laine. 8 games, see what he is made of. Maybe he's one of these Patrice Bergeron's that just gets it from the get go.

I think that would change the way Chevy approaches the rest of the offseason, including Laine talks.

There's a chance we could field our youngest team yet this year, with some of the other prospects we have.

Reactions: Calcutta

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well Lapierre with a 2 goal and 2 assist game in his first regular season game in nearly 10 months.

There were definitely times were you could see he was a bit rusty. He held onto the puck too long on a couple of occasions ans bobbled it a few times as well.

Still he was the best player on the ice and made a lot happen. He set up probably 4 or 5 grade A chances and a number of other solid chances. He showed some real nice patience on his pp goal waiting for the screen to form. Was very solid positonally in three ends ans wasn't really on the ice for much in the way of shots against. He also was quite strong on the forecheck and cycle.

I would be quite happy with him at 10, he is the type of player we need.

Mercer somehow got first star but outside of his goals I didn't think he accomplished all that much. He works hard and was solid on the forecheck and some good looks but was pretty ho hum outside of that. I've definitely seen him perform better then he did tonight.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Well Lapierre with a 2 goal and 2 assist game in his first regular season game in nearly 10 months.

There were definitely times were you could see he was a bit rusty. He held onto the puck too long on a couple of occasions ans bobbled it a few times as well.

Still he was the best player on the ice and made a lot happen. He set up probably 4 or 5 grade A chances and a number of other solid chances. He showed some real nice patience on his pp goal waiting for the screen to form. Was very solid positonally in three ends ans wasn't really on the ice for much in the way of shots against. He also was quite strong on the forecheck and cycle.

Mercer somehow got first star but outside of his goals I didn't think he accomplished all that much. He works hard and was solid on the forecheck and some good looks but was pretty ho hum outside of that. I've definitely seen him perform better then he did tonight.

Games are available on You Tube I believe? Question, how is he on the draw? Important aspect for a centre.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Games are available on You Tube I believe? Question, how is he on the draw? Important aspect for a centre.

He won 5 of 9. He seemed rusty at first but got a lot better at it as the night went on and was put out for a couple of key defensive zone draws late in the third includong being on in the last minute.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I can't see the Jets being in on Lapierre. Yes he's a playmaker, but I get the Drouin vibe from him. He even wears the same number. Sure Drouin was a monster with Ehlers in the Q, but Drouin wasn't an ideal centre. I don't like that he lacks physicality. That's something we already lack. I know you have a certain poster pumping your tires, but I see Lapierre more in the Canadiens range, this is a good draft for them to get their French Canadiens in. He might raise his stock a little bit, but his lack of finish (or Finnish lol), and injuries would make him a very high risk pick at #10.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I can't see the Jets being in on Lapierre. Yes he's a playmaker, but I get the Drouin vibe from him. He even wears the same number. Sure Drouin was a monster with Ehlers in the Q, but Drouin wasn't an ideal centre. I don't like that he lacks physicality. That's something we already lack. I know you have a certain poster pumping your tires, but I see Lapierre more in the Canadiens range, this is a good draft for them to get their French Canadiens in. He might raise his stock a little bit, but his lack of finish (or Finnish lol), and injuries would make him a very high risk pick at #10.

Lapierre doesn't shy away from the physicality at all though. Sure he doesn't appear to be a monster hitter but he is in there winning pucks on the boards and using his body in combination with his skating to shield the puck while he creates space for himself. He isn't just a finesse playmaker there is tenacity in his game. He also appears to be more of a thinker than Drouin in that he is disciplined in his neutral zone and defensive positioning and doesn't chase the play. All traits that a good center needs to have.

Also Drouin never played center in junior so I am not really sure why you are bringing him up as a player comp other then maybe the skating and puck skills.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
He only has 1 more game before the draft, hard to believe that 2 regular season games would move him all that much.

2 games actually.
HIFK plays tonight vs Ilves and next Tuesday vs Pelicans Lahti both games are home games.
So Lundell has 2 more games time to show scouts what he's got.

By the way is there any live stream or live broadcast available 2020 draft ?
I have day-off in next Wednesday and if there is any chance to watch or follow 2020 NHL draft
i would like to find some way to do that.

Reactions: hn777

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
If Lundell and Lapierre are picked 8 and 9, I'm going to be crushed. I know that means we can nab a "faller" but unless it's Rossi or Drysdale, I'm not that interested.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
If Lundell and Lapierre are picked 8 and 9, I'm going to be crushed. I know that means we can nab a "faller" but unless it's Rossi or Drysdale, I'm not that interested.
I’d take Sanderson Perfetti Raymond every day of the week
My final list is coming, for those that care :laugh:

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

Agreed, that would be crushing if it plays out like that.

If those two are gone, It’s probably Jarvis for me. I don’t expect either Drysdale or Sanderson to be available at #10.

I don’t see Rossi as a centre in the NHL and his skating/size is concerning. I think I’d just as well go with Schneider or Guhle in that case if it’s not Jarvis.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad