Who should the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft?

Who do the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
That’s not how it works. Demidov =/= Kucherov just because fans and public scouts think so. If any GM is drafting players based on public consensus then they should immediately be fired. GMs and scouts have their jobs for a reason. If you’re picking at #2, the pick should be who YOU think the best player available is. Not who the fans think it is
I don’t care about the public’s opinion. But most evaluaters seem to have him second, and pretty much everyone agrees that he has the highest ceiling.

If YOU think one guy is better while most other pro evaluators think it’s the other guy, that’s thinking you’re smarter than them. Maybe you (KD) are.

There are plenty of examples of the majority being wrong (Makar-Patrick). But the majority will be right much more often than not. Like belfour30 said, get ready to be called out and maybe lose your job if you **** up big time.

Reactions: Geoist

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
If they want to put their job on the line, fine but if they go off the board and it doesn't work said GM should prepare to be lambasted in the media and among the fans.
And what happens if they stay “on” the board and it doesn’t work? They get a free pass because the fans and media thought it was a good idea at the time?

The other thing is people here are acting as though passing on Demidov would equate to passing on the second coming of Christ himself. It’s really f***ing close behind Celebrini. This conversation wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
If they want to put their job on the line, fine but if they go off the board and it doesn't work said GM should prepare to be lambasted in the media and among the fans.

There is only one board: the board your team spent all year making. Every team goes by their own board. You don't have to answer for shit immediately after the draft. You find out in 2-5 years if you were right or wrong and they're usually wrong regardless.

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
I don’t care about the public’s opinion. But most evaluaters seem to have him second, and pretty much everyone agrees that he has the highest ceiling.

If YOU think one guy is better while most other pro evaluators think it’s the other guy, that’s thinking you’re smarter than them. Maybe you (KD) are.

There are plenty of examples of the majority being wrong (Makar-Patrick). But the majority will be right much more often than not. Like belfour30 said, get ready to be called out and maybe lose your job if you **** up big time.
Ok so by that logic it’s completely acceptable for a GM to f*** up as long as they make a decision that the majority agrees with?

I’m gonna call it there. We don’t need to turn this into another necas-esque discussion

Reactions: ClydeLee

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

You're lifting a whole lot on seem.

He is not a absolute consensus. The view you have isn't matching the reality. There's plenty of people who think he could be not going top 4 because of talent, not other things. This, he has the highest ceiling isn't held overall. Especially when you add Lidstrom, Silayev, or others to the mix.

Pretty much anyone of the vote of this poll is going with still on the board.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Ok so by that logic it’s completely acceptable for a GM to f*** up as long as they make a decision that the majority agrees with?
The way I see it...

If your scouts/organization, and most other league scouts and organizations all think a guy is the consensus best pick at a specific spot, and he makes that pick, and the player busts, yes, you as a fan can be bothered by the fact that it happened, but it won't be because he "made a mistake" so to speak. It would be because the player didn't develop how everyone expected him to. So yeah, he can take a little blame for that, but it's not nearly the same as going off the board and picking some random guy that no one expects to go in that spot, and him busting. It's almost a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation really. If he goes off the board, and the pick hits, he's a genius. If he goes off the board, and the pick busts, he's the devil incarnate and should be fired. If he picks the consensus BPA, and he busts, he's also the devil incarnate. If he hits, then it just reaffirms what everyone thought.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019

I’m gonna call it there. We don’t need to turn this into another necas-esque discussion
I don't think anyone blames the Rangers for taking Kakko and Lafreniere. Shit happens.

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
The way I see it...

If your scouts/organization, and most other league scouts and organizations all think a guy is the consensus best pick at a specific spot, and he makes that pick, and the player busts, yes, you as a fan can be bothered by the fact that it happened, but it won't be because he "made a mistake" so to speak. It would be because the player didn't develop how everyone expected him to. So yeah, he can take a little blame for that, but it's not nearly the same as going off the board and picking some random guy that no one expects to go in that spot, and him busting. It's almost a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation really. If he goes off the board, and the pick hits, he's a genius. If he goes off the board, and the pick busts, he's the devil incarnate and should be fired. If he picks the consensus BPA, and he busts, he's also the devil incarnate. If he hits, then it just reaffirms what everyone thought.
I don't think anyone blames the Rangers for taking Kakko and Lafreniere. Shit happens.
And that’s the beauty of the draft. Everyone is completely guessing and really has no clue.

And to be clear, I really don’t give a shit if they take Demidov or if they don’t (My opinion this year is that it’s too much of a mess to know what I’d even want them to do). I just want them to pick who they think is the second best player in the draft. Anything else would be malpractice

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Yes there abosultey are Rangers fans pissed at it, but it was Jeff Gorton who was replaced and left for Montreal so I don't think they hold it against Drury who was AGM then I think.

I never watched Kakko in Finland but I wonder why types of goals he scored. Because he does nothing in the nhl

Cbj was mocked for not going with Puljarvi but went with PLD, looked good until he stopped caring about playing. But still he's way better than Pujabri ever was despite being the consensus 3rd player.

Reactions: d rake

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014

I’m not one for long debates, so no worry here. Disagreements are ok!

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Yes there abosultey are Rangers fans pissed at it, but it was Jeff Gorton who was replaced and left for Montreal so I don't think they hold it against Drury who was AGM then I think.

I never watched Kakko in Finland but I wonder why types of goals he scored. Because he does nothing in the nhl

Cbj was mocked for not going with Puljarvi but went with PLD, looked good until he stopped caring about playing. But still he's way better than Pujabri ever was despite being the consensus 3rd player.
That's the very definition of armchair GMing with the benefit of hindsight.

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014

He is not a absolute consensus. The view you have isn't matching the reality. There's plenty of people who think he could be not going top 4 because of talent, not other things. This, he has the highest ceiling isn't held overall. Especially when you add Lidstrom, Silayev, or others to the mix.

I

I could be wrong but he seems to be number 2 on more than 90% of the lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad