Who should the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Here's the article for the lazy ones.

11 Scouts, 5 executives picked their top defenseman of the crop. Below are the results;

(1 scout had a 3 way tie for Yakemchuk/Dickinson/Levshunov)

Levshunov 3/11 scouts 2/5 execs

Silayev 1/11 scouts 2/5 execs

Yakemchuk 4/11 scouts 0/5 execs

Parekh 1/11 scouts 1/5 execs

Buium 2/11 scouts 0/5 execs

Dickinson 2/11 scouts 0/5 execs

Worthy to note Levshunov won the most second place votes for scouts (only like 2 or 3)

Last edited:

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
11 Scouts, 5 executives picked their top defenseman of the crop. Below are the results;

(1 scout had a 3 way tie for Yakemchuk/Dickinson/Levshunov)

Levshunov 3/11 scouts 2/5 execs

Silayev 1/11 scouts 2/5 execs

Yakemchuk 4/11 scouts 0/5 execs

Parekh 1/11 scouts 1/5 execs

Buium 2/11 scouts 0/5 execs

Dickinson 2/11 scouts 0/5 execs

Worthy to note Levshunov won the most second place votes for scouts.
Seems like a really crappy year to pick 2nd. Ugh. This reminds me of 2019 when the Hawks jumped to 3rd. It's almost a guarantee that a better player will be taken later in the top 15.

The 2019 top 5 was pretty terrible with Hughes being the only difference maker.

The best 1st rounders outside of Hughes were picked in the 6-12 range.(Seider, Cozens, Zegras, Boldy);

Last edited:

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Lets say Hawks take Lev

And at #18 Jiricek is still there

Do you consider doubling up on RD? Would make our pipeline of potential RD defenders as strong and deep as our LD

Hawks would then also have a very deep overall D prospect pool to potentially use as trade chips in coming years as well

We have multiple 2nd's + multiple 3rd's to then use on F prospects
Yes. I wouldn't mind at all if they used 3/4 of their 1st 4 picks on RD. If you take Lev and Jiricek in the 1st you almost have to take a F at 34 though. Would be a coup if it was Letourneau.

25/26 need to be forward heavy if they do that though.

1718118358188.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Malaka

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Lets say Hawks take Lev

Do you consider doubling up on RD? Would make our pipeline of potential RD defenders as strong and deep as our LD

Hawks would then also have a very deep overall D prospect pool to potentially use as trade chips in coming years as well

If he's the BPA yes absolutely.

Reactions: Idionym and Malaka

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Haven’t exactly been thrilled with the returns from our drafts past round 1. & round 1 has just been okay. Idk. I don’t have blind faith they’re going to get it right. Wait and see.

We get it, you hate Korchinski. But I'm actually surprised you still would say just okay. Obviously Bedard alone was an obvious, generational pick. That alone is a huge difference maker for this franchise. I remember we were both in agreement on Moore not being our favorite pick but he's personally exceeded my expectations his freshman year. I'm high on Rinzel. His development after he was drafted has been outstanding but I also know we differ on him too. And we both love Nazar. I would've thought Bedard and Nazar alone for you would've been more than just "okay" in the first round.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
We get it, you hate Korchinski. But I'm actually surprised you still would say just okay. Obviously Bedard alone was an obvious, generational pick. That alone is a huge difference maker for this franchise. I remember we were both in agreement on Moore not being our favorite pick but he's personally exceeded my expectations his freshman year. I'm high on Rinzel. His development after he was drafted has been outstanding but I also know we differ on him too. And we both love Nazar. I would've thought Bedard and Nazar alone for you would've been more than just "okay" in the first round.
I like Rinzel's upside a lot actually, I think they should be targeted players more like that in the second as well. I think the Moore pick was safe. Fine. I love Nazar. Bedard is Bedard.

Also I don't HATE Korchinski. I just don't think he's going to be that guy. Like a great #4 or decent #3. Not the worst thing in the world, but you could do better at 7.

So when I consider Korchinski, Moore, Nazar, Rinzel, and then #7, #13, #19, and #26, I think they got about what you would expect from those picks, nothing more, nothing less.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Like I'm not even considering the Bedard pick. That doesn't count for anything other than getting the green light to rebuild and getting lucky.
The only guy that KD picked in the 1st that I think has a chance to outperform their selection spot is Rinzel. I was happy they picked Nazar in 2022 but I have been underwhelmed by his production at Michigan.

I agree with you on Korchinski, I think he's going to make a fine 2nd pairing LD.

I don't see any 1st liners outside of Bedard and I'm not even sure that Vlasic is a top pairing D yet because I need to see if he has more to give offensively. They have a lot of depth but no stars outside of Bedard, and that's at F and D. I see a plethora of middle 6ers/bottom 6ers and 2nd/3rd pairing D so far.

Of those that have been drafted, I think Rinzel has a chance to become a top pairing D, but realize he could be all over the place.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Pez68 and Muffinalt

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Lots of love for Yakemchuk from scouts.
He's probably the biggest swing you can take on a defenseman in the top 10.

You watch the way he can break ankles and make guys look like pylons, and it makes you wonder if eventually he could be a game breaking talent.

He's also big and physical.

It's just that he's really not good on defense. He has the worst positioning and gap control of any defenseman in the top 10.

So you just hope he figures that part out, because the good parts of his game are potentially special.
Lets say Hawks take Lev

Do you consider doubling up on RD?
Nothing wrong with loading up on RD.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
I'm a bit baffled by some of these comparisons based on what I've seen from Lev. Seth Jones is still the best comparison that I've seen. Big, athletic and smooth skating dman with some decent offensive capabilities. I don't see high end offensive awareness. I don't see a deadly accurate shot. I don't see high end defensive awareness; in fact, he needs quite a bit of work on that. He throws the occasional big hit but I don't see the meanness and edge that I'd like. I don't think he's as safe a pick as people are making him out to be. I'd rather trade down and draft Yakemchuk or pick Lindstrom or Iginla.

Dickinson might be the safest pick amongst the top ranked defensemen. 6'3", skates like the wind, rocket of a shot and a late birthday to boot. There's nothing in this guy to not like. He very well could be the first defenseman off the board.

Could the Hawks trade down and still get him? Maybe a spot or two but it would not be impossible that Anaheim already has him in their sights. Without a crystal ball it's impossible to know.

Sacha BOXviert

GoHawks
Jul 20, 2022
Found this quote to be entertaining and accurate:

Scout 7: “It would be real close for me between Levshunov, Yakemchuk and Dickinson, and depending what day I wake up I have a different one at the top. I’ve entertained Buium as well. Silayev looks great but we never saw him live so it’s tough to feel confident in putting a guy that high on your list.”
This is the reality. Drafting Levshunov doesn't mean we got the best player.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Dickinson might be the safest pick amongst the top ranked defensemen. 6'3", skates like the wind, rocket of a shot and a late birthday to boot. There's nothing in this guy to not like. He very well could be the first defenseman off the board.

Could the Hawks trade down and still get him? Maybe a spot or two but it would not be impossible that Anaheim already has him in their sights. Without a crystal ball it's impossible to know.
Hard not to draft a guy out of the Knights system too. Seems like every high pick they have makes it, and is a big contributor in the NHL.

Reactions: Sam I Am

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Can anyone help me think of a time a team has traded a stud prospect because of a surplus and got good value? For example, hypothetically taking Dickinson and having Vlasic/Korch/Dickinson and having to offload EDM and Allan.

Just curious, I heard Davidson talking about it being a luxury and you can make trades… my kneejerk was that I can’t think of many times that a prospects been blocked, then traded for value.

Sacha BOXviert

GoHawks
Jul 20, 2022
Here's the article for the lazy ones.

It seems that executives and scouts are not very sure about Levshunov. He has not received a single vote in the best traits of the Draft:
Best skater: 0
Best hands: 0
Best hockey sense: 0
Best shot: 0
Most competitive: 0

• Haha
Reactions: HawksDub89

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
It seems that executives and scouts are not very sure about Levshunov. He has not received a single vote in the best traits of the Draft:
Best skater: 0
Best hands: 0
Best hockey sense: 0
Best shot: 0
Most competitive: 0
but we know what he is hes very good at everything and not elite at one thing.

McAvoy
Slavin
Peitrangelo

Is the hope. Hes not Makar Fox Josi

Reactions: HawksDub89

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Can anyone help me think of a time a team has traded a stud prospect because of a surplus and got good value? For example, hypothetically taking Dickinson and having Vlasic/Korch/Dickinson and having to offload EDM and Allan.

Just curious, I heard Davidson talking about it being a luxury and you can make trades… my kneejerk was that I can’t think of many times that a prospects been blocked, then traded for value.
Seth for RyJo when they had Weber, Suter, Ekholm, Ellis etc, but Lev is Seth in that situation so not sure there is much trading to be had where there is premier value coming back if its EDM or Allan on the move

Last edited:
Reactions: Taze em and d rake

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
I love Yakemchuk. Sennecke is gonna go way high. In the section of 2nd best forward in the draft after Macklin the scouts and execs were just as split as they are on the D.

Levshunov/Catton would be a grand slam needing a trade
Demidov/Yakemchuk would be a grand slam
Levshunov/Hage home run
Demidov/Jiricek home run
Lets say Hawks take Lev

If we somehow got both levshunov and yakemchuk we also could fill out our top 6 by dangling some of our LD in front of other teams.

It would also make the rebuild process insanely easy because from there you’re only needing <2/3rds of a bunch of top pairing projectables to hit their mark, and can throw the kitchen sink at high end forwards with the team still tanking while the D develop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad