Who should the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
Why not trade down, accumulate draft capital, and take one of these other studs since it seems 2-10 is a crap shoot?

Reactions: Auggie

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I argued with a bunch of people when I said he showed flashes that he could be really damn good, or praised things he did in games. Most people did nothing but shit on him. So I have to disagree with you.
You could be right I've got brain damage but my takeaway was nobody really thought he was awful except Musto but nobody had Vlasic turning into the defenseman he became. Pretty meh prospect.

Forsling I remember a bunch of guys liking way more.

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
After reading the scouts takes, I'm even more up in the air as to who I want to see the Hawks take.
This draft is going to be wild as hell and must see TV. A number of these mock drafts are pretty wide open after around 15. Not trying to do a Fiddy style post but I like a number of players at each of our first four picks. At #2, I'd be fine with Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla, Buium or Dickinson. At #18, I'd be fine with Solberg, Jiricek, Hage, Brandsegg-Nygard and Chernyshov. At #34 I like Elick, Miettinen, Badinka, Surin or Artamonov. At #50 I like Howe, Mustard, O'Reilly, Basha or Tarin Smith.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
You could be right I've got brain damage but my takeaway was nobody really thought he was awful except Musto but nobody had Vlasic turning into the defenseman he became. Pretty meh prospect.

Yeah, there were quite a few of us that were pretty high on Forsling.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013

To toot my own horn... I remember when he was drafted and I went to Prospect camp to watch, reporting Vlasic actually impressed me with his agility and skating for being so Damn long I commented specifically on his agility and being able to change directions- 6'6" --and said there could be something there.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
My draft currently would hope to run like this (without trading)

2) Demidov/Buium
18) Jiricek/Chernyshov/Hage (Needs to be a higher upside player, probably with some risk)
34) I think Tarin Smith starts to be a choice here. Miettinen is also good and I think has some more growth available. I like Basha too.. he's an IQ and effort guy. Love those.
50)Artamonov should still be here and I would take him.

Vlasic was easy to see why he was picked that high. The skating and size were ++. Just thought he was going to be too soft to ever get anything done and the puck skills in college were just meh. Sort of continued and then the light flip switched last year and then this year he blew up. Seemed like a mentality change more than anything. Especially when you hear Vlasic talk about it.

I have a Forsling jersey I watched his games for Linkoping on SHL.se. Always loved the player. Q loved him too, its not a coincidence that he ended up in Florida.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Yeah, there were quite a few of us that were pretty high on Forsling.
Forslings WJC was amazing. It’s funny, I thought he’d be a PPqb, his shot was his defining skill.

Earlier in the playoffs he scored a goal and the announcers were talking about how they were shocked he could shoot too. I was thinking nahhhh it’s shocking he can defend this well. The shot was always there.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Leaving Celebrini out of this, IMO:
Best Ceiling: Parkekh & Demidov
Best Floor: Dickinson & Buium

Hawks are going to pick 1 of these 4 with their first pick.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
My draft currently would hope to run like this (without trading)

2) Demidov/Buium
18) Jiricek/Chernyshov/Hage (Needs to be a higher upside player, probably with some risk)
34) I think Tarin Smith starts to be a choice here. Miettinen is also good and I think has some more growth available. I like Basha too.. he's an IQ and effort guy. Love those.
50)Artamonov should still be here and I would take him.

Vlasic was easy to see why he was picked that high. The skating and size were ++. Just thought he was going to be too soft to ever get anything done and the puck skills in college were just meh. Sort of continued and then the light flip switched last year and then this year he blew up. Seemed like a mentality change more than anything. Especially when you hear Vlasic talk about it.

I have a Forsling jersey I watched his games for Linkoping on SHL.se. Always loved the player. Q loved him too, its not a coincidence that he ended up in Florida.

Miettinen Would be a great pick at 34. He’s a type we need more of.

I think all 3 of the guys you listed at 18 will be available.

I’d go…Hage, Chernyshov and Jiricek in that order.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Lol that you or the experts saw Vlasic coming. Less than 10 months ago in Aug of '23, the Athletic listed the Hawk pipeline #2 overall and had 6 D listed in the 17 players they ranked...and Vlasic was not one of them. Vlasic showed up in the alphabetical all others that "has a chance to play" category. You don't think Pronman and the Athletic are credible, our very own illustrious board here did a prospect ranking poll ranking last Summer where again SIX other D were ranked before we got to Vlasic at #14. A year ago if you tried to sell Vlasic as a 3rd pairing NHL guy, many would have argued that he would not be or that that was his ceiling at best. Now I hope Pronman and our board "experts" that had 6 other D are dead on right in their evals, cause what a marvelous problem for us to have if 6 D prospects surpass Vlasic.

Saw him coming how? In that he would end up a top-pairing shutdown D or that he'd play in the league? I didn't see a top-pairing guy but it didn't take a hockey savant to see NHL potential.

And for the record, this was me this time last year:

Reactions: Giovi

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
Leaving Celebrini out of this, IMO:
Best Ceiling: Parkekh & Demidov
Best Floor: Dickinson & Buium

Hawks are going to pick 1 of these 4 with their first pick.
Hope u are right... Just something about Levshunov that I don't like... Keep reading most places/scouts say many other D men in this draft w Higher ceilings.... THAT alone says--Do NOT draft this guy.... when multiple other D men will probably be better - Long term

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
IMO if they're dead set on picking a defenseman at 2, take one of Buium or Dickinson. Who cares which way they shoot. Take a RHD somewhere else in the draft or try to sign one via free agency or trade.

KK has top 4 potential. EDM/Allen are 4-6 range guys and seem to be more defensively-sound types.

I'm still on the Demidov train. The team has GOT to show improvement over the past two seasons for crying out loud. Bedard can't be expected to do it all and it's asking for too much even though he's an extremely talented player.

Just my opinion.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Nuh uh. Here’s a video my doctor friend showed me of someone recovering from a full spinal cord rupture with disc protrusions around the lumbar. < 2 week recovery. True story

I love how he he just got punched in the back really hard to begin the healing process

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Forsling had a really good/great junior tournament (WJC?) IIRC and the names his production was being compared to were all great players so I was expecting him to end up being something nice. Really too bad it didn't work out with him here. The kid just needed patience and ice time

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Forsling had a really good/great junior tournament (WJC?) IIRC and the names his production was being compared to were all great players so I was expecting him to end up being something nice. Really too bad it didn't work out with him here. The kid just needed patience and ice time
He won the defender of the tournament and the players who win that are pretty much all good.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Saw him coming how? In that he would end up a top-pairing shutdown D or that he'd play in the league? I didn't see a top-pairing guy but it didn't take a hockey savant to see NHL potential.

And for the record, this was me this time last year:

Congrats that you were more intuitive then most and experts like Pronman a year ago. I'll stand by my orginal point that started this whole tangent of who saw what & when in Vlasic which was that the development curve for D is typically much longer then forwards and getting the future D pipeline has advantages in getting the D into the pipeline sooner as forwards can and do contribute in the NHL a year if not 2 sooner than D in general. This is a draft where the concensus is that it is an above average year for D and adding one (or even 2) of those D prospects would not be terrible in some ways. Start the development clock in case it takes those D picks 4 post draft seasons before they in their 5th year blossom into Vlasic or hopefully better at the NHL level. Load up on F next draft where the top end (at this point) is viewed to be a little deeper. Demidov may turn out to be a star, or he may end up being reaching (like like Reinbacher and Simashev were in a F heavy year) in a D heavy draft (where again, in time both those Reinbacher/Simashev may end up real good so who knows).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad