Who should be the next head coach?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Q can coach but even if Bettman gives the ok, this team does not need a guy fresh out of reform school after the fiasco of hiring Babcock who was fresh out of reform school (though clearly part of the early release program).
People are concerned about something that isn’t even possible right now. So, unless Q gets reinstated (which is doubtful considering he’s been banned for years now), there’s literally nothing to worry about. A waste of energy.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Until they make the playoffs.
You don't know that...every fan is different. I know Browns fans that swore off the team after DW was acquired. Some went back when the team started winning, some only follow the team when DW is suspended or injured (which is most of the time) and I know others who have not watched a game, checked the scores, headlines or standings in 2+ years.

BTW, I fall into the second category although I would be hard pressed to name fifteen guys on the roster anymore...and I was a long time STH. And I am cool with it, I have found other things to do with my time and money.

Reactions: koteka

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
You don't know that...every fan is different. I know Browns fans that swore off the team after DW was acquired. Some went back when the team started winning, some only follow the team when DW is suspended or injured (which is most of the time) and I know others who have not watched a game, checked the scores, headlines or standings in 2+ years.

BTW, I fall into the second category although I would be hard pressed to name fifteen guys on the roster anymore...and I was a long time STH. And I am cool with it, I have found other things to do with my time and money.

NFL started to lose me prior to the pandemic and little about the league appeals to me to change that. Sundays at the beach seem a far better option. And I was someone who once set my week around Giants games (father had season tickets since 1958).

As for Quenneville, seems like he had little to do with the incident that led to his dismissal - and there are myriad agendas that have nothing to do with the case.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I could have accepted Quennville the first time if it had worked just like I would have accepted Babcock if it had worked.

Yet, the Babcock experiment was an utter disaster and your next hire had better not have similar risks and controversy attached to it.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
People are reading Waddell's response to the Q question as potential interest. I'm reading it as that's a quagmire topic that I'm just not going to get involved in. As in, he started to give what he felt was as non-committal an answer as possible and then caught himself and realized that no answer was the best answer.
To be fair usually you prep for questions like that to where you can practice saying "that is an issue between the league and Q and we have no comments regarding this situation" but dipshit there brought up as a question for no reason out of left field. I don't blame him for Waddell fumbling that question as that's a topic that shouldn't even had been brought up.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I keep hearing that Waddell wants an experienced NHL head coach. Jalonen is not that guy. As for the connections between Jalonen and Waddell, what are they? Just because both are involved in hockey does not mean they have any familiarity with each other. And what's the connection to Laine (a guy we are planning to trade this off-season) other than the fact Laine and Jalonen are both Finnish?

IMO, the chance to bring in Jalonen and break glass ceilings was when Jarmo hired Lars when the team was super young, inexperienced and not particularly good. This team is in a different place now, still young and perhaps still not great but this team needs to start taking forward steps to being competitive again and cannot afford yet another "learn on the job" coach. The CBJ need a guy who has already "seen this and done that" in the NHL.

Other than perhaps Dallas and Florida, no organization has more Finnish players than Carolina. It is safe to assume that Waddell and Jalonen have more than a little connection.

And like the Finnish national team program, the Hurricanes consistently "punch above their weight" using a blend of skill, sometimes unique tactics, and a reliance on maximizing the individual strengths of their players.

System for the players as opposed to finding players to fit a specific system.

Something that is necessary to compete against teams which have inherent advantages.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
To be fair usually you prep for questions like that to where you can practice saying "that is an issue between the league and Q and we have no comments regarding this situation" but dipshit there brought up as a question for no reason out of left field. I don't blame him for Waddell fumbling that question as that's a topic that shouldn't even had been brought up.

Except that that is probably a question on the minds of most fans.

Seems like that is what sports journalists used to do all the time.

In the internet era, particularly here in New Jersey, these are usually little more than releases for the team to issue a pre-established message.

The candor from people like Waddell and Briere in Philadelphia is refreshing.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Except that that is probably a question on the minds of most fans.

Seems like that is what sports journalists used to do all the time.

In the internet era, particularly here in New Jersey, these are usually little more than releases for the team to issue a pre-established message.

The candor from people like Waddell and Briere in Philadelphia is refreshing.
The person who made the comment was previously a writer in Chicago and has been pressing hard to get Columbus to consider Q if he's reinstated...the question was made with an agenda based on his previous statements.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I am mostly avoiding this thread because the last time I wanted a coach his team immediately started really sucking afterwards.

I find myself wondering about an alternate timeline where the Jackets interviewed Brad Shaw as well as Larsen a few years ago and Shaw was given the job. Would we still be in the same spot?

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I am mostly avoiding this thread because the last time I wanted a coach his team immediately started really sucking afterwards.

I find myself wondering about an alternate timeline where the Jackets interviewed Brad Shaw as well as Larsen a few years ago and Shaw was given the job. Would we still be in the same spot?
Idk about Shaw, always just strikes me as an assistant coach. A good one, but I don’t know if he’s head man material.

I’m more in the alternative timeline of what if we hired Tocchet instead of Larsen? We interviewed him, and to be honest I was really against it when it came out that we interviewed him, but he’s done a damn good job in Vancouver. Would it have been a fit going from Torts to Tocchet? Not sure. But he seems like one that got away.

Reactions: MAHJ71 and koteka

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
But Don said himself this morning that Hartley had reached out to him but he had not spoken to him yet.

In all honesty, I do think Hartley makes some sense. He has familiarity with some players on the roster and with Don. He has good experience and has won a cup. If he is truly "in" on wanting to be an NHL coach again he seems like a good fit but it is a concern that he hasn't been in the NHL for several years and the league has changed a bit since then.

Hartley could be the man who sets Elvis straight having coach him with Latvia.

This to me is a major reason to consider Hartley, since Waddel has already stated that Elvis is here to stay for now, might as well pair him up with a coach that is familiar with him.

Worked for Edmonton with McDavid and coach Knoblauch.

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad