Who should be the next head coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
This to me is a major reason to consider Hartley, since Waddel has already stated that Elvis is here to stay for now, might as well pair him up with a coach that is familiar with him.

Worked for Edmonton with McDavid and coach Knoblauch.

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison to make lol

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Among the names that have surfaced as likely candidates:

• Todd McLellan, who has coached in San Jose, Edmonton and Los Angeles
  • Dean Evason, who has coached in Minnesota
  • Jeff Blashill, who has coached in Detroit
  • Gerard Gallant, who has coached in Columbus, Florida, Vegas and the New York Rangers
One of the coaches believed to be a candidate for the Blue Jackets job was told in a text exchange with The Athletic that the club’s veteran players are wanting “accountability and structure and coaching.” His response: “I can provide all of those things.”

Waddell acknowledged that Bob Hartley, who coached Atlanta and Colorado in the NHL before spending almost a decade coaching in Russia and coaching Latvia in international tournaments, has expressed an interest in the job.

It remains unknown whether the NHL will clear former St. Louis, Colorado, Chicago and Florida coach Joel Quenneville, who was suspended indefinitely by the league for his role in the Chicago Blackhawks’ sexual-abuse cover-up.

The Blue Jackets were willing to interview Quenneville last summer if he’d been cleared by the NHL, but commissioner Gary Bettman did not lift his ban. Asked about his willingness to consider Quenneville this time, Waddell side-stepped the question.

“It’s probably not in my best interest to talk about what might happen,” Waddell said. “We all know that Joel is still held back by the league. We’ll leave it up to the league to eventually answer that question.”

It seems pretty likely that the coach Porty talked to is Gallant.

While I do like Gallant (he was my pick at the start of the process last year) I don't think he brings enough structure defensively to do the job. Its not just about discipline, its also about doing the right things on both ends of the puck.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

It seems pretty likely that the coach Porty talked to is Gallant.

While I do like Gallant (he was my pick at the start of the process last year) I don't think he brings enough structure defensively to do the job. Its not just about discipline, its also about doing the right things on both ends of the puck.
Of those names Galant and Evason would be my top choices. Never liked Mclellan or Blashill, so I'm expecting one of them named HC.

Reactions: JacketFanInFL

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Of those names Galant and Evason would be my top choices. Never liked Mclellan or Blashill, so I'm expecting one of them named HC.
Absolutely no to Galant - no structure and Blashill can go coach in the AHL. He has proven he can’t coach youth.

I don’t understand the love for Galant.

Reactions: VT and CBJx614

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Has McLellan ever notably developed any young players? Genuine question. All I can think of with him is maybe Byfield and Hertl? He really seems like a more veteran-heavy team type of coach. I haven’t ever heard much about his work with young players.

If those are indeed the candidates, I strongly feel that Evason is a tier above the rest. Todd Nelson would be my other choice but he doesn’t really fit the “NHL experience” bit.

Reactions: MAHJ71

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Here's one passage from Porty's Sunday Gathering piece that caught my eye:

Waddell has ruled out an entire house-cleaning, however. “You want to have some stability on your coaching staff,” Waddell said. “I totally would be against bringing in four or five new guys. If he or she thinks they wouldn’t be capable working with them, we’d have to deal with that at that point.”

But there are no women with NHL head coaching experience. That said, I wonder what female assistants could be ready for a set up?

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Here's one passage from Porty's Sunday Gathering piece that caught my eye:

Waddell has ruled out an entire house-cleaning, however. “You want to have some stability on your coaching staff,” Waddell said. “I totally would be against bringing in four or five new guys. If he or she thinks they wouldn’t be capable working with them, we’d have to deal with that at that point.”

But there are no women with NHL head coaching experience. That said, I wonder what female assistants could be ready for a set up?

Would be badass if Waddell brings Coach Muzz onboard…one can dream

Reactions: Xoggz22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad