Who should be the next head coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
  • JPM: Thanks for meeting with me Don, you know I pretty much leave the GM/POHOP hire completely in JD's hands but thought we should at least meet.
  • DW: Completely understand Mr Mac.
    JPM: Mr Mac was my father, just call me Junior. I just have one question for you.
  • DW: What's that Mr Junior?
  • JPM: Would you consider hiring Joel Quenne-vile under any circumstances for any position with the organization?
  • DW: No.
  • JPM: You have my blessing.
Haha Mr. Junior.

Reactions: Fred Glover

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Nelson is someone I would hope they would request permission to talk to. He has done real well in Hershey.
I'm a big Brad Ralph fan. He's won 3 straight Kelly Cups with the Florida Everblades. Nelson might end up with 2 straight Calder Cups.

How guys like this don't get promoted is beyond me unless there's some major personality issue-real or perceived. There was a coach named Steve Martinson who played in the NHL and won NINE Championships at the pro AA level. Never got a promotion but had a very unusual personality:laugh:

I understand why the CBJ are gun shy about hiring a coach who doesn't have a strong NHL resume after two straight greenhorns were in way over their heads. But a guy like Nelson should absolutely be in the mix for at least one of the open NHL jobs. That none of the six have called is perplexing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Didn't someone say a day or 2 ago that Hartley said on Canadian radio he had no interest and he hated how the roster was constructed?

I'm guessing some French journalist called him to ask about it. And he was probably 1) pretending to not be interested, and 2) speaking up for Vincent, who he thought had to deal with a mess of a roster.

He might genuinely think the roster is badly built, and if that's the case I might want to hire him even more. :laugh:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I only know of two. McLellan and Hartley. And Hartley says he doesn’t want to coach anymore.

Nelson is not an NHL veteran coach. But I suppose an interim run could count for him.
Yes he mentioned experienced , many good former coaches and ex nhl coaches I think was quote . Nelson is as experienced as any , although only 2/3 of a season in nhl . Have to think he’s on the list .. buzz will grow even more so if he wins yet another ahl title .

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Understatement. Maybe I'm missing context but it seems like and odd series of words.

Is he trying to say Bob offered to help as a consultant but Don doesn't want a consultant so he changed his mind and says he wants to coach?
I think between Hartley speaking on the French Canadian radio station and the latest reports Waddell likely told him roster changes he wants to make, and his general vision for the team. They were probably on the same page on what needs to be altered.

As for the other part, it could be

"hey Don I want to help you out in Columbus, maybe as an advisor"

"nah Bob we need an experienced coach that can get this team in order while we tweak the roster to build a winner, not a guy that needs an advisor"

"Damn you know what Don I might be the guy you're looking for🤔"

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think between Hartley speaking on the French Canadian radio station and the latest reports Waddell likely told him roster changes he wants to make, and his general vision for the team. They were probably on the same page on what needs to be altered.

As for the other part, it could be

"hey Don I want to help you out in Columbus, maybe as an advisor"

"nah Bob we need an experienced coach that can get this team in order while we tweak the roster to build a winner, not a guy that needs an advisor"

"Damn you know what Don I might be the guy you're looking for🤔"
But Don said himself this morning that Hartley had reached out to him but he had not spoken to him yet.

In all honesty, I do think Hartley makes some sense. He has familiarity with some players on the roster and with Don. He has good experience and has won a cup. If he is truly "in" on wanting to be an NHL coach again he seems like a good fit but it is a concern that he hasn't been in the NHL for several years and the league has changed a bit since then.

Hartley could be the man who sets Elvis straight having coach him with Latvia.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
But Don said himself this morning that Hartley had reached out to him but he had not spoken to him yet.

In all honesty, I do think Hartley makes some sense. He has familiarity with some players on the roster and with Don. He has good experience and has won a cup. If he is truly "in" on wanting to be an NHL coach again he seems like a good fit but it is a concern that he hasn't been in the NHL for several years and the league has changed a bit since then.

Hartley could be the man who sets Elvis straight having coach him with Latvia.
Plus he has familiarity with Chinakov and Gaudreau(and Gudbranson?)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Given Waddell’s reaction to the Hartley question, I don’t really think Hartley is in play for head coach.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Watching Waddell's conference and the way he answered the Quenneville question, makes me think that Quenneville is his preferred candidate if the league clears it. Until the Hockey Canada case gets resolved, I don't see the NHL doing that for optics reasons.

As for veteran coaches, wonder if Finland's Jukka Jalonen is one of those being interviewed.

Obviously he is familiar to both Waddell and Columbus due to their many connections - including Patrik Laine.

And in a market like Columbus, Jalonen's ability to maximize the productivity of a roster with many different parts could work well.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Watching Waddell's conference and the way he answered the Quenneville question, makes me think that Quenneville is his preferred candidate if the league clears it. Until the Hockey Canada case gets resolved, I don't see the NHL doing that for optics reasons.

As for veteran coaches, wonder if Finland's Jukka Jalonen is one of those being interviewed.

Obviously he is familiar to both Waddell and Columbus due to their many connections - including Patrik Laine.

And in a market like Columbus, Jalonen's ability to maximize the productivity of a roster with many different parts could work well.
I keep hearing that Waddell wants an experienced NHL head coach. Jalonen is not that guy. As for the connections between Jalonen and Waddell, what are they? Just because both are involved in hockey does not mean they have any familiarity with each other. And what's the connection to Laine (a guy we are planning to trade this off-season) other than the fact Laine and Jalonen are both Finnish?

IMO, the chance to bring in Jalonen and break glass ceilings was when Jarmo hired Lars when the team was super young, inexperienced and not particularly good. This team is in a different place now, still young and perhaps still not great but this team needs to start taking forward steps to being competitive again and cannot afford yet another "learn on the job" coach. The CBJ need a guy who has already "seen this and done that" in the NHL.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

I actually feel the opposite. Not wanting to talk about it until the league clears him, implies as much. Unless I'm missing something, that's not something that's going to happen any time soon and Waddell doesn't have time to wait for the league to make a decision.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I feel like the Quenne-vile situation is intentionally becoming a 'chicken and egg' scenario. GMs are waiting for Bettman to reinstate him before even considering him for a job while Bettman is waiting for some team to publicly say they want to consider him before making a ruling on his eligibility.

It's a very convenient way for them to bury the guy and never have to publicly address the situation. I have no issue with it because NFW I want that guy coaching the CBJ and I am sure the vast majority of most fanbases feel the same way. But in another way its cowardly to not make a decision and stand behind it.

While no commissioner is beloved by the fanbase and all of them have certainly made mistakes (how could they not) it just seems the only time Bettman shows any cojones is when it's team owners vs players. The rest of the time he buries his head in the sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad