Confirmed Trade: [BUF/WSH] Beck Malenstyn for 2024 2nd round pick (43OA)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I love trades like this.

The Caps are overloaded with quality depth players, thanks to solid pro development at Hershey the last two years in their two runs to the Calder Cup. What they need right now are highly-drafted futures.

The Sabres are loaded with drafted futures and picks, and what they really need to add are some character guys for the bottom six right away. Malentsyn is a gem of a fourth liner and not too old (age 26).

It's an overpay, perhaps, but from an area of strength for Buffalo. Neither team will overly miss what they give up and will be happy to add the type of asset they acquire here.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Beck Malenstyn was a key part of the best "4th line" in the NHL last year. The Caps had a top 9 that was very untrustworthy defensively, so they leaned on their 4th line defensively to a degree that no one has ever leaned on a line before. I've written mini-essays about that line before so I'll just link this comment about the line in general and this one that's more about Beck and why certain models are stupid for not liking him. The TL;DR is that the Malentsyn-Dowd-NAK line got incredibly difficult deployments and still ended up above water.

Malenstyn himself is one of the fastest skaters in the NHL (97th percentile top speed and speed bursts) and he's a big hitter (11th in the NHL in hits last year). If you were building a 4th line winger in a lab, you'd build Beck Malenstyn. I know Buffalo fans are gonna be annoyed about the cost, but you're gonna like the player. I'm bummed to see him go.
I'm not upset. Buffalo has a deep prospect pool.

I live in metro DC. I have familiarity with him.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He was a nice energy 4th liner with mediocre fancy stats but a 2nd seems insane

He was playing north of 14mins/game and his stats were in an extremely defensive role not conducive to strong possession metrics. Certainly looks like they were using him as a shutdown 3rd liner.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Beck Malenstyn was a key part of the best "4th line" in the NHL last year. The Caps had a top 9 that was very untrustworthy defensively, so they leaned on their 4th line defensively to a degree that no one has ever leaned on a line before. I've written mini-essays about that line before so I'll just link this comment about the line in general and this one that's more about Beck and why certain models are stupid for not liking him. The TL;DR is that the Malentsyn-Dowd-NAK line got incredibly difficult deployments and still ended up above water.

Malenstyn himself is one of the fastest skaters in the NHL (97th percentile top speed and speed bursts) and he's a big hitter (11th in the NHL in hits last year). If you were building a 4th line winger in a lab, you'd build Beck Malenstyn. I know Buffalo fans are gonna be annoyed about the cost, but you're gonna like the player. I'm bummed to see him go.

One look at his hockey reference page told me everything I needed to know about his role/usage (14:15/game and 91% defensive zone starts lol). I didn’t watch many Caps games, but I do indeed expect to like this guy.

Reactions: GOALOFSSON

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I love trades like this.

The Caps are overloaded with quality depth players, thanks to solid pro development at Hershey the last two years in their two runs to the Calder Cup. What they need right now are highly-drafted futures.

The Sabres are loaded with drafted futures and picks, and what really need to add are some character guys for the bottom six right away. Malentsyn is a gem of a fourth liner and not too old (age 26).

It's an overpay, perhaps, but from an area for strength for Buffalo. Neither team will overly miss what they give up and will be happy to add the type of asset they acquire here.
Very well said.

Could you stop by the Sabres board to deliver this message? :help:

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
So ie the Sabres traded pick 11 for pick 14 and Beck Malestyn… great asset management
I don’t think this can be overstated. The Sabres traded down, still got their player at 14, and used the free pick on a player that more than adequately fills a hole on the roster.

For those of you cherry picking stats, you might want to look at all of his stats, particularly his O zone start %.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I don’t think this can be overstated. The Sabres traded down, still got their player at 14, and used the free pick on a player that more than adequately fills a hole on the roster.

For those of you cherry picking stats, you might want to look at all of his stats, particularly his O zone start %.
You are delusional. I didn’t cherry pick any stats. I just don’t like the trade.

Last edited:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Price isn't absolutely terrible after seeing what Jeannot went for, its still bad but Buffalo has so many prospects they could ice an entire AHL squad and still have guys looking to play.

Jan 21, 2018
The sabres realize that they cannot fix all their problems via the draft. Look at how bad Edmonton is, it took them like a decade to finally make the final and that is only after one of their many lottery picks turned into a generational player.

Who cares if the sabres “lose” this trade, it makes their team better. Do you want the sabres to win every trade or do you want them to make the playoffs? I think malenstyn is a great addition for their bottom 6.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
The sabres realize that they cannot fix all their problems via the draft. Look at how bad Edmonton is, it took them like a decade to finally make the final and that is only after one of their many lottery picks turned into a generational player.

Who cares if the sabres “lose” this trade, it makes their team better. Do you want the sabres to win every trade or do you want them to make the playoffs? I think malenstyn is a great addition for their bottom 6.
I admit I haven’t watched the player much, but this is true. Sabres have enough capital to lose trades if it improves their roster.

This isn’t nearly enough though. Desperately need a responsible 3C. Cannot go into season with Krebs there.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY

Yup. Buffalo fans have been clamoring to make trades that improve the roster today, and have been saying that we have to overpay to do it. That is exactly what this is. I know nothing about the player other than his ridiculous player usage, but he sounds like a dreamy bottom 6 winger who can skate, play physically, and fill a specific need on this team.

The value is terrible, but they maneuvered the 1st pick to get this one. I would have been happy with Helenius at 11. Getting Helenius and a premiere 4th liner (if such a thing exists) sounds pretty damn good to me.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I think the value is bad for the Sabres and favors the capitals, but I don’t think it’s horrible. Physical, fast, big penalty killers have a cost in today’s NHL

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
What I don't understand about this trade is that Buffalo have so many young players ready and waiting to make the big club, and you take away one of those spots for him. It's not like they're on the cusp of the Stanley Cup finals, don't give up a top pick for a 26 year old fourth liner?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
What I don't understand about this trade is that Buffalo have so many young players ready and waiting to make the big club, and you take away one of those spots for him. It's not like they're on the cusp of the Stanley Cup finals, don't give up a top pick for a 26 year old fourth liner?
We've got young players ready for more offensive roles. We've got NO ONE in the pipeline to do any sort of dirty work. Like seriously -- probably our two most physical, dirty-work type players before this were Peyton Krebs and Jordan Greenway.

We absolutely NEEDED a guy like Malenstyn. Badly.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This one is viewed as a 4th liner/ checking line role Buffalo had alot of top 6.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
We've got young players ready for more offensive roles. We've got NO ONE in the pipeline to do any sort of dirty work. Like seriously -- probably our two most physical, dirty-work type players before this were Peyton Krebs and Jordan Greenway.

We absolutely NEEDED a guy like Malenstyn. Badly.
OK, you know more about the Sabres than I do. Just seems like a bit of an overpayment for a guy who couldn't make the NHL until 26, and likely only made it because Washington were struggling to find forwards. No insult intended but it does seem a bit desperate.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
OK, you know more about the Sabres than I do. Just seems like a bit of an overpayment for a guy who couldn't make the NHL until 26, and likely only made it because Washington were struggling to find forwards. No insult intended but it does seem a bit desperate.
It's not an insult if it's the truth...lol. We are/were absolutely desperate for a guy like Malenstyn. It's why we overpaid for him.

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
Sabres organization showing their incompetence. Could’ve easily signed a UFA with similar intangibles instead of giving up a second round pick
They can't. No attractive depth UFA with options is going to sign with a team with a decade+ playoff drought if everything else is equal. The only way the Sabres land UFAs is with significant overpayment, and that would lead more posts about incompetence. It cost them over $6.5M last year for Connor Clifton and Erik Johnson.

Reactions: VaporTrail

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Haters gonna hate, but this gunna be a good deal. Beck brings that feisty that we need. We have prospects and talent galore for the top 2 lines, but we’ve been sorely lacking down the lineup. Girgensons is what he is and is aging, Jost had a brief bounce back but ain’t a grinder, Okposo is gone- I’m assuming they saw a guy they felt fit the need, 2nd rounder was the market price, that’s it. Hockey trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $175.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $682.00