Who should be the next head coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Very unlikely I think. If it was because of the coach then you wouldn't have seen Laine and the Jackets mutually agree to seek a trade. They would have waited at least until the coaching situation is resolved.

In any case the Jackets need a fresh start from Laine as much as he needs a fresh start from them.
Something I've been thinking lately and it could/likely be complete BS is that for all these guys on the team who have admitted that they like playing for a hard coach(Z, Gaudreau, Laine) what those guys think about playing for a rookie coach. Yeah he's been around for awhile but they've been in the NHL longer than he has.

Any time they trying to implement something that doesn't work, or are unsure of themselves or ever second guess themselves in front of those guys, they pick up on it. And once players start losing faith in a coach it's over.

But if you've brought in a coach like Torts for example, who has a proven track record, those guys instead of second guessing wtf their coach is doing, they are more willing to do what they are being told and go that extra as their coach has more experience and knowledge then themselves.

Reactions: Forepar

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Don't know why Laine's issues would be with Vincent, he barely played for him. Vincent was the guy willing to give him a shot at center. As far as I am concerned, Laine and Elvis both wanted out, so send them out. If you start trying to appease those two to stay by hiring a coach they like, you are sending the wrong message to the rest of the team.
Vincent was also the guy that healthy scratched him in Philly and Laine said it was his most embarrassing moment as a pro... I've suggested Laine could change his tune with this news but others feel that's not the case. I think anything is possible but also think it's likely with all the shit that's gone on the last 2+years, he's done here. But I hold the scratch issue in higher regard when it comes to player decisions about stay or go... Not sure it's enough but I don't think it's "nothing"

Very unlikely I think. If it was because of the coach then you wouldn't have seen Laine and the Jackets mutually agree to seek a trade. They would have waited at least until the coaching situation is resolved.

In any case the Jackets need a fresh start from Laine as much as he needs a fresh start from them.
Keep in mind the request was supposedly BEFORE he went into the PAP, which means it was all about last season (well, this season since SC isn't over I guess - to be clear). I still think he'll want to move on but I put more weight on his scratch than I believe you do.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Even though I think it would be rushing Vogelhuber, I would take him over anyone on that list.
Maybe in due time but the need for another first time head coach is not now. I would think he coudl have a shot as an assistant. Whomever gets the gig... they need to can the rest of the staff and bring in their own so it's one cohesive unit. All on the same page with the same philosophy.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Keep in mind the request was supposedly BEFORE he went into the PAP, which means it was all about last season (well, this season since SC isn't over I guess - to be clear). I still think he'll want to move on but I put more weight on his scratch than I believe you do.

The original trade request was older but word only came out recently that the Jackets and Laine are mutually seeking a trade, after Waddell came aboard. That indicates to me that they talked about it recently, while the coaching situation was still up in the air. So I don't think Laine's trade request hinges on the coaching situation.

If the scratch is a significant factor that makes me all the more inclined to move Laine quickly. It wasn't his fault but he was horrible last Fall, and I don't think players own their spots in the lineup based on pedigree, they have to earn it continually. He did not. Our next coach has to have the freedom to scratch who they please, you can't have players around who both merit being scratched and can't handle it.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Vincent was also the guy that healthy scratched him in Philly and Laine said it was his most embarrassing moment as a pro... I've suggested Laine could change his tune with this news but others feel that's not the case. I think anything is possible but also think it's likely with all the shit that's gone on the last 2+years, he's done here. But I hold the scratch issue in higher regard when it comes to player decisions about stay or go... Not sure it's enough but I don't think it's "nothing"
I guess I don't see the big deal about being scratched. I get it was after the cheapshot in against Calgary, but he was cleared to play, and had played a few games. He did come back after that and had 6 points in his next 9 games, so it did kind of work. Vincent did get more production out of him. He doubled his production over the first 9 games.

Last edited by a moderator:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Even though I think it would be rushing Vogelhuber, I would take him over anyone on that list.
I don’t think Porty is fully back , and playing lots of catch up… Hedger breaking stories as to why they got rid of PV, Schieg has had more insight than porty lately .. But yeah , I agree … I really think Nelson is the one to watch … he has a ton of experience and his resume is just silly . He’s a strong systems and accountability guy , and has a track record of history with Waddell , plus he’s once again playing for a championship .. not to mention he’s strong with player development .. Here’s his bio

Nelson led Hershey to a regular-season title and broke numerous club records along the way as the team finished with a 53-14-0-5 record during the 2023-24 season — the best winning percentage in franchise history.

Twelve different Bears players under Nelson’s watch graduated to the NHL this season with the Washington Capitals.

Nelson has a 97-33-5-9 record during his two seasons with Hershey — a .722 points percentage. Nelson also ranks eighth on the AHL’s all-time wins list posting a 406-222-77 record during his 10 seasons in the league. He led the Grand Rapids Griffins (2017) and Bears (2023) to Calder Cup championships. As an assistant coach, he was a part of Chicago’s Cup-winning team in 2008 and won a title with the 1993-94 Portland Pirates as a player.

Before arriving in Hershey, Nelson served as an assistant coach with the Dallas Stars, who reached the Stanley Cup Final in 2020. With Dallas, he served under current Boston Bruins head coach Jim Montgomery and eventually the recently retired Rick Bowness.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I don’t think Porty is fully back , and playing lots of catch up… Hedger breaking stories as to why they got rid of PV, Schieg has had more insight than porty lately .. But yeah , I agree … I really think Nelson is the one to watch … he has a ton of experience and his resume is just silly . He’s a strong systems and accountability guy , and has a track record of history with Waddell , plus he’s once again playing for a championship .. not to mention he’s strong with player development .. Here’s his bio

Nelson led Hershey to a regular-season title and broke numerous club records along the way as the team finished with a 53-14-0-5 record during the 2023-24 season — the best winning percentage in franchise history.

Twelve different Bears players under Nelson’s watch graduated to the NHL this season with the Washington Capitals.

Nelson has a 97-33-5-9 record during his two seasons with Hershey — a .722 points percentage. Nelson also ranks eighth on the AHL’s all-time wins list posting a 406-222-77 record during his 10 seasons in the league. He led the Grand Rapids Griffins (2017) and Bears (2023) to Calder Cup championships. As an assistant coach, he was a part of Chicago’s Cup-winning team in 2008 and won a title with the 1993-94 Portland Pirates as a player.

Before arriving in Hershey, Nelson served as an assistant coach with the Dallas Stars, who reached the Stanley Cup Final in 2020. With Dallas, he served under current Boston Bruins head coach Jim Montgomery and eventually the recently retired Rick Bowness.

Nelson is someone I would hope they would request permission to talk to. He has done real well in Hershey.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Laine was our best player for two seasons, he just had a point per game. Last season he had great stats in most aspects, including defense (other than distributing, but he mostly lost the puck after returning from IR), he made his partners better. Of course, according to some, he has a terrible contract, doesn't fit here... .

And where is it written that Waddell was the one talking about him? If by salary, then give me Merzlikins, Severson here. And where is it written that he was talking about salary? Don't forget that Bob Hartley said the lineup isn't ideal, which is true. The defense is too soft, at the same time we need an experienced, tough offensive player, preferably a center (I like Sam Bennett, always wanted him).

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Just a feeling. He has a history with Waddell (and Waddell wants an experienced coach, only going to interview 3-4 guys, so someone he knows). Hes a veteran who preaches defense. Also a firm hand.

Just kinda adds up.
I think him and Nelson for sure .. Maybe Hartley is brought In to replace JD ? Can’t imagine even if leave cleared Quinville , the ownership would sign off on that , based on Babs experience

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Just a feeling. He has a history with Waddell (and Waddell wants an experienced coach, only going to interview 3-4 guys, so someone he knows). Hes a veteran who preaches defense. Also a firm hand.

Just kinda adds up.
Are there not multiple candidates who fit this criteria?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Are there not multiple candidates who fit this criteria?
I only know of two. McLellan and Hartley. And Hartley says he doesn’t want to coach anymore.

Nelson is not an NHL veteran coach. But I suppose an interim run could count for him.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I think him and Nelson for sure .. Maybe Hartley is brought In to replace JD ? Can’t imagine even if league cleared Quinville , the ownership would sign off on that , based on Babs experience
  • JPM: Thanks for meeting with me Don, you know I pretty much leave the GM/POHOP hire completely in JD's hands but thought we should at least meet.
  • DW: Completely understand Mr Mac.
    JPM: Mr Mac was my father, just call me Junior. I just have one question for you.
  • DW: What's that Mr Junior?
  • JPM: Would you consider hiring Joel Quenne-vile under any circumstances for any position with the organization?
  • DW: No.
  • JPM: You have my blessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad