Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
"Momentum is building on McGroarty and I expect that a trade will take place before the draft."
says cbj makes sense as the front runner so sounds more like his opinion then what he's heard
Murat says “three teams with interest in McGroarty” which were CBJ, SJ and Ott. So that sounds like he has actual info. Classifying Columbus as the front-runner might be his opinion based on fit and what they’d potentially offer.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Murat says “three teams with interest in McGroarty” which were CBJ, SJ and Ott. So that sounds like he has actual info. Classifying Columbus as the front-runner might be his opinion based on fit and what they’d potentially offer.
Some nice pieces I'd like on CBJ and OTT, from the sharks it's probably picks unless we get that D prospect from the Meier trade

Reactions: snowkiddin

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
he was just saying from his understanding it was because the jets didn't have a spot available to him(basically what friedman/weibe/mcintyre/billeck said), then serevelli didn't really know how to answer that

I think for Rutger he saw his teammates and buddies Brindley and Nazar both go to Chicago and Columbus after the season make their NHL Debut. When that didn’t happen for him in Winnipeg things went south.

It’s tricky because this new wave of US college kids are starting to flex more. As Freidman said there is talk from people in Hockey that the Russian kids are now more reliable than the high end US college kids. As Freidman joked ok we all know the Russians will end up in Florida or New York but at least the go play for the teams that draft them.

As Flair Hay said this is business though. These guys have short careers and they aren’t f***ing around. They know their leverage and are using it.

Hopefully the trade works out well for us, usually Chevy does his best work when he is backed into a corner.

Last edited:

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
If those are the teams in play then he probably wants in the NHL next year at all costs…..As those teams will need to plug him into their rosters asap

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I'm confused by this, are you saying he should get a spot because he has the potential to be an impact player?
Again there’s some who believe he’s a sure thing for regular duty.
I don’t know enough about him but I was one of those who was happy with his selection.
My guess is he doesn’t see the same opportunity to play in this lineup based on contracts in place and the teams track record with prospects ( that is probably agent and or family)
I understand some of HF being put off by what appears to be entitlement but I also see his side as well.
2-3 years in the AHL is probably what the club would do.
This club has shown in the past that they prefer the waiver wire or old vets over inserting the younger players,
Is that the coaches or GM or both!
All I’m saying is I don’t think he’s wrong in thinking that he’ll languish in the minors for a long period of time.
I don’t know that obviously but it’s not out of the realm of possibility.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Interesting. Here are some pieces I'm interested and think are realistic from each team.

CBJ:
Laine - As part of a bigger deal potentially. Laine's value is so low we should be able to get him for cheaper than an A Prospect. But if there are some other parts involved and he's an add I'm okay with that.
Sillinger - Middle 6 C that can potentially fill our 2C needs.
Jiricek - Big body RHD that we so desperately need.
2024 4th overall - We can add a pretty nice piece with this, should be lots of options at 4. Likely won't step in for awhile though.
Mateychuk - Great puck rushing LHD that could cement our left side for years to come. Solid kid too.

SJS:
2024 14th overall - I'd want more on top of this.
Mukhamadullin - Real big and rangy LHD. Cements the top 4 on the left side potentially.
Grandlund - With an extension in place he could step in at 2C for us and solidify that spot a bit but he is 32 turning 33 soon.

OTT:
2024 7th overall - Not as good as 4 but certainly still solid.
Chychrun - Solid vet LHD that can play the right side well enough. Allows us to run 2 solid pairs or stack one. Would want an extension in place though. We likely need to add.
Pinto - Good size C that can step in as 2C. We likely need to add here as well.
Greig - Solid playoff type winger for the middle 6.

Again there’s some who believe he’s a sure thing for regular duty.
I don’t know enough about him but I was one of those who was happy with his selection.
My guess is he doesn’t see the same opportunity to play in this lineup based on contracts in place and the teams track record with prospects ( that is probably agent and or family)
I understand some of HF being put off by what appears to be entitlement but I also see his side as well.
2-3 years in the AHL is probably what the club would do.
This club has shown in the past that they prefer the waiver wire or old vets over inserting the younger players,
Is that the coaches or GM or both!
All I’m saying is I don’t think he’s wrong in thinking that he’ll languish in the minors for a long period of time.
I don’t know that obviously but it’s not out of the realm of possibility.

Ultimately it's up to him to force the orgs hand. Connor, Ehlers, Scheif, Trouba, Morrissey, Laine and many more ultimately all payed their dues. Some might have been held out a little bit more than they should have but that's never really hurt a prospect as much as rushing them does.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Interesting. Here are some pieces I'm interested and think are realistic from each team.

CBJ:
Laine - As part of a bigger deal potentially. Laine's value is so low we should be able to get him for cheaper than an A Prospect. But if there are some other parts involved and he's an add I'm okay with that.
2024 4th overall - We can add a pretty nice piece with this, should be lots of options at 4. Likely won't step in for awhile though.
Mateychuk - Great puck rushing LHD that could cement our left side for years to come. Solid kid too.

SJS:
Mukhamadullin - Real big and rangy LHD. Cements the top 4 on the left side potentially.
Grandlund - With an extension in place he could step in at 2C for us and solidify that spot a bit but he is 32 turning 33 soon.

OTT:
Chychrun - Solid vet LHD that can play the right side well enough. Allows us to run 2 solid pairs or stack one. Would want an extension in place though. We likely need to add.

Ultimately it's up to him to force the orgs hand. Connor, Ehlers, Scheif, Trouba, Morrissey, Laine and many more ultimately all payed their dues. Some might have been held out a little bit more than they should have but that's never really hurt a prospect as much as rushing them does.
I understand, he’s using the system to make his own decisions.
Could it be ill advised ? Absolutely .
Or it could get him to the dance early.
Too bad it would have been good to see what he could have accomplished here.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I understand, he’s using the system to make his own decisions.
Could it be ill advised ? Absolutely .
Or it could get him to the dance early.
Too bad it would have been good to see what he could have accomplished here.

Yeah if the option was there to just keep him that is my preferred route but it's looking more and more like that ship is sailing.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
CBJ certainly has pieces we would be interested in..and Rutger's former teammate Adam Fantilli is in CBJ so I could see CBJ looking to acquire Rutger as a winger to attach to Fantilli going forward.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
CBJ certainly has pieces we would be interested in..and Rutger's former teammate Adam Fantilli is in CBJ so I could see CBJ looking to acquire Rutger as a winger to attach to Fantilli going forward.

Yeah we make great trading partners.

Mateychuk, Jiricek and Sillinger are the big targets there.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I haven't bothered to read any media speculation about potential landing spots, but my spidey senses are telling me he does not want to play for any Canadian team. Increasingly, high end American college players think they can choose their home country to spend the prime years of their young adult life. I would be very wary about drafting top-15 NCAA players if I were a Canadian GM, especially in a smaller market.

Last edited:

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Yes it was a metaphor. The point is that situations aren't always better elsewhere. Sometimes they are like Trouba in NY, but sometimes they aren't such as Laine and Roslovic in Columbus.

Is winnipeg a top market or an elite franchise, no. But they have been competitive for close to a decade and treat their players with a lot of respect. There are plenty of worse run organizations that can't get out of the basement.
Arizona...cough...oh wait...:sarcasm:

• Haha

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
A deal centering around Rutger/Jiricek feels like it would be a total slam dunk for the Jets.

I like a lot of their prospects, including Sillinger/Mateychuk, but the Jets' organization could sorely use a RHD piece like Jiricek.

With DeMelo now locked up, Salo/Jiricek would be integral pieces moving forward on ELCs.

The right side would start to really take shape in a few years -- lots of upside there and on the cheap.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
A deal centering around Rutger/Jiricek feels like it would be a total slam dunk for the Jets.

I like a lot of their prospects, including Sillinger/Mateychuk, but the Jets' organization could sorely use a RHD piece like Jiricek.

With DeMelo now locked up, Salo/Jiricek would be integral pieces moving forward on ELCs.
Could absolutely see something like ehlers+mcgroarty for jiracek+sillinger

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

CBJ:

SJS:

OTT:

Personally, Jiricek and Mateychuk would be my first and second choice from that list. But quite a few interesting options overall.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I haven't bothered to read any media speculation about potential landing spots, but my spidey senses are telling me he does not want to play for any Canadian team. Increasingly, high end American college players think they can choose their home country to spend the prime years of their young adult life. I would be very wary about drafting top-15 NCAA players if I were a Canadian GM, especially in a smaller market.

I think the Russian factor is starting to be replaced with the American factor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad