Who is the best goal scorer of all time and who are the top 10 all time in order?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
I don't really have a top ten. I guess I can make one. I may get back to you with that. Like I said, Ovechkin is the most accomplished goal scorer. He would be my pick for greatest. As for best, it's between him, Lemieux and maybe Bobby Hull.

Your list contains the usual suspects. I assume you put much more emphasis on raw scoring ability than on goal finishes and times leading the League in goals (otherwise Bossy and Bure wouldn't be in the top five).
Cant wait to see your list. And as for how i got my list i did a lot of researching.

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
wh
I’ll bite; what’s the argument for Bure over a lot of those names? Gretzky being the big one. Fun player for sure, but Bure isn’t one of my top ten.

Lemieux
Gretzky
Ovechkin
Bobby Hull
Maurice Richard
Russell Bowie
Gordie Howe
Brett Hull
Charlie Conacher
Phil Esposito
whats your reason for wayne and mario over ovi and why do you think lemuiex is the best?

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
I would have no ground to judge Conacher vs peak Richard vs Bobby Hull, modern day my feeling would be Mario, but unlike Gretzky playmaking or Orr for 2 way defenseman play, no one really stand out enough to say.

Number wise career last time I looked it, would be around

Ovechkin
Richard
Lemieux
Hull and hull

When talking peak, Gretzky-Matthews-Bure would enter the conversation, for 2 others to round it to 10, Bossy-Selanne maybe, Esposito scored a lot and hard to keep out but so did Jagr, those 2 can be a bit underrated as goalscorer specially Jagr.
so u got ovechkin as the best and then your top 10
1. ovi
2. richard
3. lemuiex
4/5. brett/bobby
6. wayne
7. matthews
8. bure
9. bossy
10. selanne

Did i read that right?

Does not stand out enough:

But like Jagr he is easy to dismiss because of everything else he did so well, I can see him up there, 801 goals is 801 goals
And i will say this jagr and howe had about the same amount of games played. jagr had 1733 games played, gordie howe had 1767, and jagr played in a higher scoring era but howe still had more goals than jagr. and even if jagr played an extra 34 he wouldnt have passed howe. now howe vs esposito and selanne for 10th is tough but i think either one of them over howe for 10th is agreeable but me personally i still got howe over them.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
whats your reason for wayne and mario over ovi and why do you think lemuiex is the best?
I think they were more multidimensional as scorers. Ovechkin is an all time great, so this isn't me taking away from him at all. But 99 and 66 could be players and goalies in more ways than Ovechkin could.

Ovechkin will likely end up with the all time goal total, and I think he deserves it. But I also think that Gretzky and Lemieux (if he was healthy) would have scored more had they been more focused on scoring goals. I think they left some goals on the table over the course of their careers because they realized that they had the ability to increase their team's chance at a goal if they passed to a teammate.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Lemieux was the best on pure ability. Ovechkin being able to one time the puck from the same spot on the pp for about 10 years now doesnt change that for me.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Ovechkin being able to one time the puck from the same spot on the pp for about 10 years now doesnt change that for me.
aefccbb7c87f4a442821c8d51dbc5169afeac49dcb5e0a9a92f1074322bd50d8.gif

89P7.gif

let not act as if he did not had some of the most dynamics wrist shots and goals in the history of the league, Lemieux as just arguably the biggest toolkit ever.

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
It's very hard to isolate a particular skill and rank it -- and of course there's a lot more that goes into volume of goals scored than just the player's ability -- but anyway, I'll try (this is just NHL based, btw, if that wasn't obvious):

1. Mario Lemieux
2. Alex Ovechkin
3. Bobby Hull
4. Maurice Richard
5. Wayne Gretzky
6. Gordie Howe
7. Brett Hull
8. Mike Bossy
9. Phil Esposito
10. Jaromir Jagr / Pavel Bure / Auston Matthews

I feel like Charlie Conacher's and Jari Kurri's periods as elite goal scorers were just a tad too short to make the top 10.

It's still early days on Matthews, but if he can get another 60-ish goal season this year, maybe he kicks aside Jagr and Bure and starts to climb up the list further...
Why lemuiex over ovi?

Lemieux was the best on pure ability. Ovechkin being able to one time the puck from the same spot on the pp for about 10 years now doesnt change that for me.
who do you think is the best and your top 10 in order and if you have a reason/explaination or stats share them.

Also i think ovi is the best and here is my top 10 all time in order can you rate it.

1. Alex ovechkin
2. Mario lemuiex
3. Mike Bossy
4. Pavel Bure
5. Wayne Gretzky
6. Bobby Hull
7. Brett Hull
8. Maurice Richard
9. Gordie Howe
10. Auston Matthews

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
I would have no ground to judge Conacher vs peak Richard vs Bobby Hull, modern day my feeling would be Mario, but unlike Gretzky playmaking or Orr for 2 way defenseman play, no one really stand out enough to say.

Number wise career last time I looked it, would be around

Ovechkin
Richard
Lemieux
Hull and hull

When talking peak, Gretzky-Matthews-Bure would enter the conversation, for 2 others to round it to 10, Bossy-Selanne maybe, Esposito scored a lot and hard to keep out but so did Jagr, those 2 can be a bit underrated as goalscorer specially Jagr.
so u got ovechkin as the best and then your top 10
1. ovi
2. richard
3. lemuiex
4/5. brett/bobby
6. wayne
7. matthews
8. bure
9. bossy
10. selanne

Did i read that right?
Does not stand out enough:

But like Jagr he is easy to dismiss because of everything else he did so well, I can see him up there, 801 goals is 801 goals
And i will say this jagr and howe had about the same amount of games played. jagr had 1733 games played, gordie howe had 1767, and jagr played in a higher scoring era but howe still had more goals than jagr. and even if jagr played an extra 34 he wouldnt have passed howe. now howe vs esposito and selanne for 10th is tough but i think either one of them over howe for 10th is agreeable but me personally i still got howe over them.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
I think you have to go Ovie here. 9 times leading the NHL in goals, Bobby Hull did it 7 times.

Ovechkin
Lemieux
Bossy
Gretzky
Bobby Hull
Richard
Howe
Esposito
Brett Hull
Bure

How often people forget Howe on these lists is surprising. He had the goals record for 30 years. And I am giving love to Esposito here. Everyone else did it fancier, even Brett Hull did it fancier than Espo with his slap shot and one-timer, but if you are looking for effectiveness it is hard to go against Espo. Matthews will be there eventually and if McDavid ever goes back to his 2023 season where it appears like he just felt like shooting and scoring more than passing, then I could see him here.

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Youthful questions.

Aged answer: tiers.

You'd think more info from more years of watching and learning would result in more splitting of hairs. But, quite the opposite.

Reactions: MadLuke

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Why lemuiex over ovi?
It's kind of splitting hairs between Mario and Ovi, but I'd take Lemieux.

Mario has the highest goals-per-game of any player in NHL history who played beyond the 30th birthday (although he only played about one full season beyond his 30th birthday... but he did dress for 246 games from his 31st birthday onward).

While Ovi is clearly the best / most consistent high-volume goal scorer over a long period (at least, 2005-06 to 2022-23... and he mght not be done yet), I'm personally not that inclined towards longevity over a consistent prime, as long as that prime is several years. In Lemieux's case, during any period within his prime he was clearly a vastly superior offensive player to Ovechkin (as were several others in history), and he basically matched or surpassed Ovechkin's peak goal-scoring ability while playing as a center who put up league-leading assist totals.

So, we always run into this problem of trying to isolate "goal scoring" (or whatever skill) and extract it from overall (in this case) offensive ability. Like, Gretzky scored 700+ goals by age 30 while dominating the League every season in assists by the greatest margin ever. Is it really purposeful (or 'fair'... if such things are important) to rank Gretzky's goal scoring in isolation? The same applies to Lemieux and other playmakers who also scored a lot of goals.

I also think Lemieux had a superior skillset at a shooter / scorer than Ovi has/had.

Finally, can you please stop copying and pasting your blurb from the first post and sticking into every reply? Thank you.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I don't disagree although to play Devils advocate wouldn't a one dimensional player like say Ovi, Bure or Richard have a potentially harder time scoring goals since the other parts of their game weren't as developed?

There is no context where calling Ovechkin "one dimensional" is accurate.

He's top 3 in hits in his generation, top 10 in assists, and will end his career top 5 all-time in adjusted points.

It's kind of splitting hairs between Mario and Ovi, but I'd take Lemieux.

Mario has the highest goals-per-game of any player in NHL history who played beyond the 30th birthday (although he only played about one full season beyond his 30th birthday... but he did dress for 246 games from his 31st birthday onward).

As of age 36, Ovechkin had a higher adjusted GPG than Lemieux, sustained it for 300 more games, and played far more games after turning 30 than Lemieux did.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
There is no context where calling Ovechkin "one dimensional" is accurate.

He's top 3 in hits in his generation, top 10 in assists, and will end his career top 5 all-time in adjusted points
Okay I'll rephrase that Ovi was more goal scoring after the 10-11 season plus the context of my post was guys known first and foremost for scoring goals and even you would agree that's the first thing that comes to mind with players like Ovi, Richard, Bure and Bossy right?

It's more descriptive than judgmental so just relax.

As of age 36, Ovechkin had a higher adjusted GPG than Lemieux, sustained it for 300 more games, and played far more games after turning 30 than Lemieux did.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Vs Lemieux as of age 36 ;) ?

After their respective 36 years old season it was .709 Lemieux vs 0.694 Ovechkin I think, Lemieux only played 26% of his game 30 years old season+ versus 40% for Ovechkin so give him the edge on that metric, but would not be that big.

Having the same goals numbers in anyway to the great Ovechkin just show how valid of a choice Lemieux is (he scored at a 58 goals per 82 pace in the playoff during his career has well, not sure it would adjust lower than Ovechkin)

Ovechkin having doing it more make him greater for sure, but best (who do you want when you need to score a goal in the third period of a game) many in the history have an argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad