Who is more dominant in their sport: Ohtani, McDavid or Mahomes?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is more dominant in their sport?

• Total voters

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Go look at the posts about Ohtani, they say he isnt the best at anything.

No, McDavid isnt an all time great goal scorer.

Holy shit my guy.

I’m asking if McDavid is elite at goal scoring. I’m not mentioning Ohtani. I’m not talking about all time goal scoring.

mahomes95

Jul 8, 2023
I’m relaxed just hard having a discussion with someone who can’t focus on a single point.

Quick, list all the players who’ve scored more goals than McDavid from 2015-2023. I’ll wait.
My point is McDavid is not a great goalscorer. He wont sniff Ovechkins career totals.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
the lack of love for Mahomes is something. The guy hosted 5 AFC championship games in 5 years. Brady is the all time leader with 7

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
the lack of love for Mahomes is something. The guy hosted 5 AFC championship games in 5 years. Brady is the all time leader with 7
Sure, but look at his situation compared to the others. Andy Reid is the best offensive mind in football and he makes life considerably easier on Mahomes. Additionally he's always had Travis Kelce, arguably the greatest tight end ever and Tyreek Hill for the vast majority of his career. Mahomes is phenomenal to be sure but he has played in one of the most advantages situations imaginable team-wise.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Sure, but look at his situation compared to the others. Andy Reid is the best offensive mind in football and he makes life considerably easier on Mahomes. Additionally he's always had Travis Kelce, arguably the greatest tight end ever and Tyreek Hill for the vast majority of his career. Mahomes is phenomenal to be sure but he has played in one of the most advantages situations imaginable team-wise.
True, a bit like Tom Brady.

In the end, I think Ohtani is the real freak in the sense that nobody in a 100 years could do what he is doing.

As for Mahomes vs McDavid, I think the former is much more feared by his peers than the latter

Reactions: TheStatican

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
too young to have watched Gretzky, Bonds, Jordan but Crosby, Ovi, McDavid, Ohtani, Brady, Messi/Ronaldo is quite the era to live through

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
That's great but leading the league in a couple of categories at the midway point of a season isn't anywhere close to the same level of domination that we've seen from McDavid, who just won his 3rd straight Ross as the league's top scorer (5th Ross overall), while also adding his 4th Pearson, 3rd Hart, and first Richard. Or from Hasek, who won 6 Vezinas in 8 years, along with back to back Harts (in 5 times as a finalist) and 2 Jennings (plus another one in his final season in Detroit). When either one of McDavid or Hasek is playing anywhere close their best, the rest of the league is competing for 2nd place. I don't know how you can say the same with Ohtani.

How to tell people you don’t know anything about baseball, step one.

Reactions: TheStatican

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
In terms of overall career Ohtani is unlikely to stay healthy enough to be this effective as a pitcher forever so McDavid/Mahomes will have better overall careers, but based on how Ohtani has played in the past 3 seasons he's the only answer until he declines on one side of the ball or the other. McDavid and Mahomes are better relative to their peers/historical comparisons at their position (Ohtani has no real argument for being a top 5 all time hitter or pitcher individually), but as a total package he's absolutely been more dominant over the past 3 years and you could legitimately argue that 2021-23 Ohtani is the single greatest 3-year span from any baseball player in history. If you don't follow baseball it's difficult to express just how valuable a player he is. It's completely unprecedented in over 150 years of the game's history, there's never really even been a guy that's been just "good" at both roles at the same time, and he's a legitimate superstar talent on both sides of the ball.

There's a catchall offensive production stat in baseball called weighted runs created (wRC+) which aggregates all value a player provides at the plate, and it's expressed as a base-100 percentage stat where 100 is exactly league average, 150 wRC+ is 50% better, 50wRC+ is 50% worse, and so on. Ohtani is leading the majors at a 183 wRC+ ahead of Freddie Freeman (who's a perennial superstar hitter) at 165. Pitching numbers are harder to explain if you're not familiar with baseball and there's more nuanced to it so I'll just say that he's currently 12th in the majors in one of the two major wins above replacement stats, and was easily top 5 as a pitcher last year. If you cloned him and each clone had to stick to one role, he would be a franchise player worth 25-30 million a year in each role (and the hitter clone would be even more valuable as a hitter than right now because he would play the field instead of DHing).

It's hard to make a hockey analogy since you can't play as a goalie and skater at the same time, but the analogy I'd make is probably something like if Mikko Rantanen could clone himself and simultaneously play 20 minutes a night for 70-75 games a year as a superstar winger while also making 55 starts as a goalie who's as good as Juuse Saros. In football terms Mahomes is a better QB than Ohtani is a hitter, so you could consider it something like maybe a Justin Herbert level QB who's also a top 10 pass rusher in the NFL and plays a starter's workload on defence.

Last edited:

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Ohtani pitched a one hit shutout in the first game of a double header last night and hit two homers and drove in 3 runs in the second game. Hard to not to marvel at what he’s been doing the last few seasons. He’s the only thing keeping my interest in baseball from flat-lining. It’ll be interesting to see how long he can keep up being such an elite dual threat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad