Who else has very little interest in the Four Nations tournament?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Stupid its only 4 teams. I liked the young north american and European outcasts last time. Obviously Russia as well.

That would make it more interesting to me but I think the players will get up for it. Not going to be like an All star game

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
Remember when WWE hosted Survivor Series and made it about "brand warfare" and each side wrestled in either red shirts or blue shirts representing their show? No one really knew what and why they were fighting but they were.

That's what this tournament feels like.

• Haha
Reactions: Blitzkrug

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
If the player are into it and give an effort, not sure I would have little interest to see Mcdavid-Mack-Crosby-Makar-etc... Pretty sure I would take a look, just to see the lines and what they do together, Marchand-Crosby-Mackinon on a line or a team trying to handle McDavid-Mackinon skating together ?

above international politics
Maybe but never been and even the ancient Olympics were deeply political, specially when the sport events is divided by nation, with people wearing country flag singing national anthem, hard to imagine how it could be above politics, international politic is their reason to exist and the reason they are in any way interesting and their goal (what else is going on..., why split people by country to start with).

Their politicization need to be in good taste, but cannot be removed.

Famously there was truce announced during game (quite the political act):
During the celebration of the games, the Olympic truce (ekecheiría) was announced so that athletes and religious pilgrims could travel from their cities to the games in safety. The prizes for the victors were olive leaf wreaths or crowns. The games became a political tool used by city-states to assert dominance over their rival city states. Politicians would announce political alliances at the games, and in times of war, priests would offer sacrifices to the gods for victory.

The modern olympics was a lot motivated because France lost to Germany in the 1870 war, an France generalized effort to create strong, disciplined and unified young French through sport combined with the International collaboration during the even would help avoid the Prussian next attack.

And elite competitive sport is the exact opposite of being for everyone, it is for a tiny sliver of elite.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgelord

Edgelord

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I’m looking at it as the 4 countries doing a trial roster run for the 26 Olympics.
I don't understand why the NHL didn't just rename 2 other teams, Europe East and Europe West where Europe East is essentially just Russia and Europe West would be Germany, Swiss, Chech and Slovakia

Add 1972 to that list
yup, all of which except ww2 I disagree with

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I'll say it, this is borderline exhibition hockey to me. The 2026 Olympics will be a blast. I can't wait. I don't like the idea of Russia not playing in it as it takes away what could be such great hockey, and it penalizes a lot of players that have nothing to do with anything going on in the world. Too many great players in the NHL on Russia not being able to showcase their talent or play for their country either in the 4 Nations in 2025 or possibly even the Olympics. Not good. So that alone makes it less competitive for me and I for one have never liked boycotting and not allowing a country to compete in things like this.

Secondly, how much of an exhibition-like feel will this have? Is McDavid going to go full out for this tournament? Will Makar and MacKinnon play hard against Rantanen two days after playing together in Colorado? I think there is more to lose with the Olympics but my thought is that this won't be the competitive tournament in 2025 that some might think it will be. The Olympics is the Olympics. Mario and Yzerman certainly cost themselves a bit healthwise by playing in 2002. But it was worth it. Would anyone do this in 2025?

Thoughts?

Never heard of it until now.

So I had zero interest and now maybe I'm interested but have other stuff to right now.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Remember when WWE hosted Survivor Series and made it about "brand warfare" and each side wrestled in either red shirts or blue shirts representing their show? No one really knew what and why they were fighting but they were.

That's what this tournament feels like.
I hate how accurate this is.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
NHL is one of the worst sports leagues to organize anything, then you add the global climate and I have negative interest.

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
I've never been the biggest fan of the world cup of hockey, don't hate it or anything, but not my favorite. This seems like a worse version.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
No Russia but the world's biggest terrorists (along with Israel, which are hard to separate from them at this point) are allowed lmao

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
As a swede I'd be way more excited to see something like Quebec vs Ontario and a Canada cup that is all about Canada. Something that sparks emotions.

Playing Finland as Sweden seems kind of pointless. There's no real animosity. You'd have to boost it by betting Gustav Vasas corpse or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad