Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Agreed that in terms of moving down, Detroit is a better trading partner.

I just think we have much more to offer in a trade than Yzerman does.

Obviously Detroit being at 4 certainly makes it very difficult to be sure that, if you did move back to 5, you'd get your man.

Staying at 2 makes a lot of sense but hey, the Sens are in rough shape so I gotta ask :P

Given that the Kings want to compete with Kopitar and Doughty still playing top roles in the near future, I'd suspect Ottawa would need to include a top young player/NHL-ready prospect to get LA to think about trading down. So, who is the best NHL-ready prospect you'd be willing to trade to go from #5 to #2, or #3 to #2?

I don't want the Kings to trade the pick, but for the sake of your argument, I think the question above is key.

Reactions: deaderhead28

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Agreed that in terms of moving down, Detroit is a better trading partner.

I just think we have much more to offer in a trade than Yzerman does.

Obviously Detroit being at 4 certainly makes it very difficult to be sure that, if you did move back to 5, you'd get your man.

Staying at 2 makes a lot of sense but hey, the Sens are in rough shape so I gotta ask :P

I like being in your spot, the pick is basically being made for you by who the Kings take at 2, no second guessing or debate on your end. We Kings fans will always compare who we take at 2 vs who you guys get at 3. If Byfield ends up a 2nd liner and Stutzle is Kucharov it could be the difference between winning cups or not for both teams in the future.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
What's also notable about this is Byfield is the youngest (2nd youngest?) on that list AND that out of the last few years, he's the only one who did it solo (as opposed to those stacked Erie otters teams as well as Tkachuk-Dvorak-Marner).

QB is the real deal it seems. If he doesn't miss a few games, he's over 100 points on the season as well. This kid is your Kopitar in waiting. Imagine a young Kopi and Jason Allison anchoring your top 2 lines.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I found this quote from McKenzie's recent article ranking prospects interesting

"One of those prospects with at least a chance to do that is No. 2 on TSN’s final ranking: Tim Stutzle, the dynamic German forward (he can play centre or left wing) who excelled while playing for Adler Mannheim in the DEL and starred for Germany at the 2020 World Junior Championship.
“If there’s someone in this draft who could go by Lafreniere in the years to come, it’s this kid,” an NHL scout said. “It’s because of the skating.”

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I would take Byfield too - just analyzing from Kings perspective.

How great would it be in a Laker-Clipper town that two of the Kings top players in a few years are African American players - Thomas and Byfield. That would really help the game grow and bring in new fans.
I hope this isnt the Kings philosophy for drafting players due to political purposes,this is a sport,not a popularity contest.Best available player should be drafted for the organization success on the ice and the only factor contributing to this pick or any pick in the future no matter who it is, not the race of the player.Saying that,after doing a little research on Byfield vs Stützle on video and reading the scouting reports, I am leaning Stutzle barely.But I wouldnt be upset either if Kings traded the pick for more assets and got Drysdale.

Last edited:

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I love the sport (but have never really played it) can someone explain to me why Stutzle can play lw and center yet Byfield can only play center?

I always read people saying that center is the more important position and that players like carter can switch to wing if he struggles at c and we get more center depth.

Could byfield not also play wing?

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Given that the Kings want to compete with Kopitar and Doughty still playing top roles in the near future, I'd suspect Ottawa would need to include a top young player/NHL-ready prospect to get LA to think about trading down. So, who is the best NHL-ready prospect you'd be willing to trade to go from #5 to #2, or #3 to #2?

I don't want the Kings to trade the pick, but for the sake of your argument, I think the question above is key.
I would be willing to listen to offers as long as the Kings could get Drysdale and a top level prospect in return.If not ,you keep the pick and make the best player available choice for the organization success going forward.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I love the sport (but have never really played it) can someone explain to me why Stutzle can play lw and center yet Byfield can only play center?

I always read people saying that center is the more important position and that players like carter can switch to wing if he struggles at c and we get more center depth.

It's not that Byfield can only play center, but rather that Stutzle may be forced to move to wing.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010

Possibly vision and speed along with experience playing both positions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingspiracy

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

The centerman needs to be more responsible in his own own covering down low, but is also required to help on the rush to break out of their own zone. A wing, on the other hand, doesn't have as much responsibility in covering one of the D.

If a forward can play both the wing and center it shows off their versatility, which is a good thing. But because certain wingers who also play center get burnt playing down low they are often moved to the wing (since they can't handle the defensive-side of the game).

Given Stutzle's (lack of) height and speed, I'd wager he'd fit in better on the wing in the NHL regardless of wether he can play C. But time will tell.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
The centerman needs to be more responsible in his own own covering down low, but is also required to help on the rush to break out of their own zone. A wing, on the other hand, doesn't have as much responsibility in covering one of the D.

If a forward can play both the wing and center it shows off their versatility, which is a good thing. But because certain wingers who also play center get burnt playing down low they are often moved to the wing (since they can't handle the defensive-side of the game).

Given Stutzle's (lack of) height and speed, I'd wager he'd fit in better on the wing in the NHL regardless of wether he can play C. But time will tell.

I'm pretty sure that Stutzle is the fastest/best skater in the draft or top 5 bare minimum in speed. But I won't be angry either way between he and Byfield. No to freaking Drysdale though. The reason that Drew was/is great is the fact that not only can he generate offense and carry the puck out of the zone, it's that he is also a top shutdown defender. It's part of why I hope that TMc can pair him this season with someone who can actually help carry the load on defense. Every other elite defender in the league has help and coverage with their defensive partner. Drew has jack shit for the last 4 seasons or so. Is there another top 10 defensemen in the league who has worked with less? Can Drysdale actually shutdown forwards or does he have to learn that? You've got the number 2 pick. Don't get cute and I don't expect the Kings front office to. The Kings don't need quantity. They need quality at this point.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Screenshot_20200628-162932_Samsung Internet.jpg

Slow? Not even close

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

I’d want #3 and #5 for 2OA... I’d include a 2nd rounder on our side, for arguments sake. I’m willing to bet that in 10 years Byfield is the best player from this draft. He’s one of the youngest players in his draft class, he’s raw but still hugely effective and has massive upside... his potential is huge. If Ottawa want him they should have to pay a big price.

However, personally I’m not making the deal even if offered. A likely 6’ 5”, 230+ lb highly skilled, defensively responsible Center that’s a great skater and has a great shot is not someone I want to see on another team. He also seems to be a good character also and could easily be a cornerstone piece for the next 15 yrs. Stüzle will be a great player, no doubt, but Byfield is another level IMO.

Crownroyal21

Mar 19, 2019
My question is what line would he play on (Byfield). Kopi #1 center, Vilardi #2, Byfield #3, Lizotte #4? Turcotte and Madden go to wing and Carter? I’m pretty sure Carter was on the wing with Richards in Philadelphia and LA. He moved to center for the Kings when Richards got concussions. Amadio gone?

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Kings Have Only One Option at No. 2: Tim Stützle

Byfield vs. Stützle

Sudbury Wolves star Quinton Byfield is ranked No. 2 by general consensus. However, he is a center, and the Kings already have Gabriel Vilardi (No. 11 in 2017), Alex Turcotte (No. 5 in 2019) and Tyler Madden (No. 68 in 2018) projected to slot in there. That’s discounting players like captain Anze Kopitar, who currently acts as the team’s top pivot and isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, with four years left on his deal, which has a $10 million cap hit and a no-trade clause to boot.
On the left side, the Kings really only have winger Arthur Kaliyev in terms of blue-chip prospects. Furthermore, Alex Iafallo is effectively their top-line left-winger, which should tell you all need to know in terms of their depth on that side, even if only due to the fact that he should be considered a top trade chip, as he only has one year left on his deal. The Kings simply need Stützle more than Byfield.

To read more click on the article link below

https://thehockeywriters.com/los-angeles-kings-stutzle-draft-byfield/

Reactions: Faterson

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Congrats on 2nd pick fellas!

Just wondering if there are any Kings board insiders who have potentially spoken about who the Kings prefer more at #2?

On the Sens board, the insiders believe its Byfield for us.

Thank you!

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Kings Have Only One Option at No. 2: Tim Stützle

Byfield vs. Stützle

Sudbury Wolves star Quinton Byfield is ranked No. 2 by general consensus. However, he is a center, and the Kings already have Gabriel Vilardi (No. 11 in 2017), Alex Turcotte (No. 5 in 2019) and Tyler Madden (No. 68 in 2018) projected to slot in there. That’s discounting players like captain Anze Kopitar, who currently acts as the team’s top pivot and isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, with four years left on his deal, which has a $10 million cap hit and a no-trade clause to boot.
On the left side, the Kings really only have winger Arthur Kaliyev in terms of blue-chip prospects. Furthermore, Alex Iafallo is effectively their top-line left-winger, which should tell you all need to know in terms of their depth on that side, even if only due to the fact that he should be considered a top trade chip, as he only has one year left on his deal. The Kings simply need Stützle more than Byfield.

To read more click on the article link below

https://thehockeywriters.com/los-angeles-kings-stutzle-draft-byfield/

I concede they make great points. Unfortunately I draft the best player available which should be Byfield.

By drafting by field that allows us to do a few things. It allows us a true number one center once Kopitar is gone.

It allows either Vilardi or Turcotte to only have to grow into a great number to center instead of adequate or average number one center.
it allows us the options to trade either Velarde or Turcot for an equivalent winger. Since center iceman hold a little more value you could probably get a slightly better player.

As much as people think madden and Kupari or centers, madden does not have to size and Kupari does not have the IQ. These guys will both end up wingers.

Just think a guy like by field takes up so much ice that it allows a smaller player like Madden a little extra space to move and get into position.

I love Stützle and I won’t complain if he is the person we draft. I just think Byfield opens up a lot more options to us.

we have been so spoiled by having Kopitar as a release number one center and all the tangibles he brings that I think some of us forget what it is actually like lining up against the big body centers in our division with a smaller less skilled pivot.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Congrats on 2nd pick fellas!

Just wondering if there are any Kings board insiders who have potentially spoken about who the Kings prefer more at #2?

On the Sens board, the insiders believe its Byfield for us.

Thank you!

Most of the various Kings boards are prefer Byfield at the 2nd OVA. Various ranking services seems to give a slight edge to Byfield over Stutzle in their final rankings. The big question is, with the Kings so stacked at C in the pipeline and already having a 1C under contract for a while, would the Kings take Stutzle as an LW, just go Byfield as the BPA and figure it out later, or try and make a move themselves for Lafreniere if a team that wins the lottery is badly in need of a 1C to build upon. I'm sure the phones will be open.

Reactions: DJB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad