• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Congrats on 2nd pick fellas!

Just wondering if there are any Kings board insiders who have potentially spoken about who the Kings prefer more at #2?

On the Sens board, the insiders believe its Byfield for us.

Thank you!

Their was an interview not an hour after the results were unveiled with Mark Yannetti (Director of Amateur Scouting) and he stressed that they would be going BPA, no telling who that is though.

Also, Rob Blake was on the "31 Thoughts" podcast indicating the same thing, but said they would be focusing on "3-4 players", I imagine in the event they get bowled over by someone trying to move up, they want to be ready.

So I guess the best answer is that we wouldn't be shocked (nor upset) with either, i'm sure Marco Sturm will be pushing Stutzle though.

Reactions: DJB

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I love the sport (but have never really played it) can someone explain to me why Stutzle can play lw and center yet Byfield can only play center?

I always read people saying that center is the more important position and that players like carter can switch to wing if he struggles at c and we get more center depth.

Could byfield not also play wing?
He totally could play the wing if he had too. It's harder to go from wing to center because of faceoffs and more defensive zone responsibilities are required.

TL;DNR: Wingers are f***ing floaters in the D zone.

Source: I was a Left Wing.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Most of the various Kings boards are prefer Byfield at the 2nd OVA. Various ranking services seems to give a slight edge to Byfield over Stutzle in their final rankings. The big question is, with the Kings so stacked at C in the pipeline and already having a 1C under contract for a while, would the Kings take Stutzle as an LW, just go Byfield as the BPA and figure it out later, or try and make a move themselves for Lafreniere if a team that wins the lottery is badly in need of a 1C to build upon. I'm sure the phones will be open.

Agreed. Hell, Mario Lemieux played wing on Wayne Gretzky's line vs the Russians, so yeah. Draft BPA and figure it out later. And for what it's worth, Lisa Dillman of The Athletic and John Hoven of Mayor's Manor think Byfield should/will be the pick. Of course, there's plenty of time for paralysis by analysis until draft day. So who knows.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
My question is what line would he play on (Byfield). Kopi #1 center, Vilardi #2, Byfield #3, Lizotte #4? Turcotte and Madden go to wing and Carter? I’m pretty sure Carter was on the wing with Richards in Philadelphia and LA. He moved to center for the Kings when Richards got concussions. Amadio gone?

That's an issue for down the road, I think he would be returned to Sudbury next season, that's the luxury of playing in a non-traditional market, they don't have to rush young players that aren't ready in an attempt to sell tickets, jerseys etc.

Reactions: BringTheReign

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Thanks to those who responded.

One more question. Of recently, have you guys not had a ton of players drafted from the OHL. Or am I mistaking you with another franchise?

Thanks again!

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA

One more question. Of recently, have you guys not had a ton of players drafted from the OHL. Or am I mistaking you with another franchise?

Thanks again!

Not as much as they used to, only 8/23 over the last 3 years.

Reactions: DJB

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I’d want #3 and #5 for 2OA... I’d include a 2nd rounder on our side, for arguments sake. I’m willing to bet that in 10 years Byfield is the best player from this draft. He’s one of the youngest players in his draft class, he’s raw but still hugely effective and has massive upside... his potential is huge. If Ottawa want him they should have to pay a big price.

However, personally I’m not making the deal even if offered. A likely 6’ 5”, 230+ lb highly skilled, defensively responsible Center that’s a great skater and has a great shot is not someone I want to see on another team. He also seems to be a good character also and could easily be a cornerstone piece for the next 15 yrs. Stüzle will be a great player, no doubt, but Byfield is another level IMO.

I agree wholeheartedly as I mentioned in the last paragraph. I was just trying to help his thought experiment given neither of our fanbases have any hockey to look forward to soon. :help:

Crownroyal21

Mar 19, 2019
It worries me about who is NHL ready first. It’s Stutzle. Byfield looks like a beast in 2 years. Do we have patience? We already have a lot of prospect that can step in next year. Also, if I see Luff again on our lines for next year I’m going to puke.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
He totally could play the wing if he had too. It's harder to go from wing to center because of faceoffs and more defensive zone responsibilities are required.

TL;DNR: Wingers are f***ing floaters in the D zone.

Source: I was a Left Wing.

I played the right side.

I can't really agree or disagree though, since I don't know what the D zone is. Is that somewhere on the ice?

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
If we get Byfield I would send him back to juniors without even thinking about it. Dude needs another year in Juniors and then they can figure out what happens after that. No way this kid should play in the big leagues next year.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Thanks again!

I've been keeping a spreadsheet on Dean Lombardi and Rob Blake drafts dating back to 2006.

Under Rob Blake, here have been the total picks from the leagues:
OHL: 35% (33% under Lombardi)
Europe: 30% (13% under Lombardi)
USHL: 17% (10% under Lombardi)
NCAA: 4% (11% under Lombardi)
WHL: 4% (18% under Lombardi)
QMJHL: 4% (10% under Lombardi)
Lesser League (High school, Jr. A, etc): 4% (5% under Lombardi)

(percentages don't add up to 100 due to rounding).

Of the forwards drafted, they have an even distribution of forwards under 6' (below average), from 6'0-6'1 (average), and 6'3+ (above average). Equal distribution of handedness.

Incidentally, every goalie drafted by the Kings have been taller than 6'1 and caught left.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
It worries me about who is NHL ready first. It’s Stutzle. Byfield looks like a beast in 2 years. Do we have patience? We already have a lot of prospect that can step in next year. Also, if I see Luff again on our lines for next year I’m going to puke.
You say "in two years" as if the Kings are going to be doing anything useful next year, if there even is a next year...

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I've been keeping a spreadsheet on Dean Lombardi and Rob Blake drafts dating back to 2006.

Under Rob Blake, here have been the total picks from the leagues:
OHL: 35% (33% under Lombardi)
Europe: 30% (13% under Lombardi)
USHL: 17% (10% under Lombardi)
NCAA: 4% (11% under Lombardi)
WHL: 4% (18% under Lombardi)
QMJHL: 4% (10% under Lombardi)
Lesser League (High school, Jr. A, etc): 4% (5% under Lombardi)

(percentages don't add up to 100 due to rounding).

Of the forwards drafted, they have an even distribution of forwards under 6' (below average), from 6'0-6'1 (average), and 6'3+ (above average). Equal distribution of handedness.

Incidentally, every goalie drafted by the Kings have been taller than 6'1 and caught left.

Phenomenal data and I absolutely appreciate all that information! Great stuff and thanks!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
My question is what line would he play on (Byfield). Kopi #1 center, Vilardi #2, Byfield #3, Lizotte #4? Turcotte and Madden go to wing and Carter? I’m pretty sure Carter was on the wing with Richards in Philadelphia and LA. He moved to center for the Kings when Richards got concussions. Amadio gone?
I see Byfield in LA in 2021-22 playing the 3rd line behind Kopistar and Turcotte with Lizotte manning the 4th line role! That means everyone else plays RWing...Vilardi,Amadio...sadly look for Carts to be dealt and yes Madden makes it as a RWinger when he's ready in 2-3 years time...ditto for Thomas and Kupari

Reactions: Ghetty Green

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
My frame of thinking is like this. There's only one Draisaitl like there's only one Kopitar. If I'm looking at history correctly there's been only one really great player from a non traditional hockey country like Slovenia and like Germany. Hischier may be that player for the Swiss. So what I'm saying is will Stutzle be another great player from Germany? There really hasn't been many til Draisaitl and there may not be another for awhile. So the chance of Stutzle being as good as Drai would not be that great no? I'm just thinking out loud I know I'll prolly get drilled for this but just something I've been pondering about.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Multiple draft picks in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in 2021. Keep building a power house.
I'd be looking for the Kings to be taking Byfield then maneuvering round the chess board avoiding the likes of San Jose and Anaheim and getting quality instead of quantity. A package of 2 of the seconds(35,48) and a 3rd(66) to get another 1st rounder. Ditto for the multiple 4ths(97,109) and a 3rd(77th) to get up higher in the 3rd around 65-69... I'll be looking for LA to draft 2-3 quality forwards, 2 L-Dmen, 1 R-Dman and a 'tender! So out of the 13 picks the Kings are on the board for, I predict they will swap 6 of those to acquire gems over polished rock! PS the last few rounds 5-7 will be on flyers,college players...that can be left to percolate for 3-4 years before a decision needs to be made!

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

All we have is patience. Next season, if it happens, is our transition year from rebuild to playoff hopeful. We still have Kovalchuk, Phaneuf, and Richards on the cap for $11,000,000. The following season we will be looking at being actual contenders, which should be Byfield’s rookie season. Turcotte should get some games in next year, and Vilardi will be an established 2C by then.

The future is really bright and there’s absolutely no rush.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Last edited:

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
For those saying that it's going to be Stutzle because of the Kings depth at centre in their prospect pool does not comprehend Yanetti, Blake and co.'s philosophy. All you need to do is listen to Yanetti speak post lottery draft about what he's learned as a scout.

He said the biggest mistake he's done (his scouting team) is draft based off of need. Yanetti mentioned it's something he's learned to drift away from. That speaks volume, IMO. The Kings won't look at their depth chart and say "hey, we need the next Drew Doughty". They're going to be taking the best player available at 2. That's where the convo starts and ends.

Now, as to WHO they think is the better player between Byfield and Stutzle? That's a different story. I think Byfield is going to be the better player but will not be shocked if Stutzle is the pick. I've mentioned it a few times and I'll mention it again. The Kings have a heavy presence in Germany with scouts (Anschutz owns a team in Germany) and Marco Sturm is one of Blake's closest allies (he's also one of the assistant coaches). There will be a lot of guys whispering "Stutzle" in Blake's ear.

John Mayer said the Kings brass are at 60-40 Byfield right now. This debate will be going on right up until draft day in October. Neither of the two will be on the Kings roster right off the bat (they may be the 9 game sniff, but that's about it).

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad