Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Another thing I noticed in watching some Byfield video last night is he is a pretty good faceoff man. Easily over 50%, with the size and strength to add a few tricks to his bag.

YearTeamGPGAPTS+/-PIMPPSHSOGGWGFOWFOAP/G
2018-19Sudbury (OHL)6429326112384218252815390.95
2019-20Sudbury (OHL)4032427422406213762755401.85
Total104617413534781043191155610791.3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Also, the kid can skate and is very good in tight spaces.

Watching that video a few things stand out

- kids has way better vision than I thought
and soft passing hands

- the kid has a great shot - pounded a few from the blue line.

- he goes to the net hard. Imagine that with another 20 pounds of muscle

- he was always in the forecheck. His wingspan is incredible, takes away a ton of ice. just think he may be 3 inches taller than Kopi when all is done.

- his size also opens up room for a smaller player. Think Madden in his line. They would be nuts.

He was narrowly my number two but now he is my for sure 2. I want nothing to do with a Drysdale with pick 2. Still love the player but we got a gift at 2. Let’s grab that massive pivot that can do a bit of everything. Plus learning from A mentor like Kopitar is something very few teams could offer.

verbalkint47

Heroes and Villans
Aug 12, 2009
Emerald State
After reading up on Stützle and watching highlights he reminds me of Barzal when I saw him play vs Portland in a playoff game.

Similar size, electric skating, filthy dangles and carries the puck A LOT. He can also pass/skate the puck out of the defensive zone in a flash.

Every time Barzal touched the puck the entire arena in Kent, WA would jump out of their seats expecting him to do something extraordinary. Stützle has that same knack. The head of player development for Mannheim even made this comment about Stützle.

Ben Smith, who played for Chicago and Toronto, played with Stützle last season and compared him to Kane and Marner.

That being said, I still lean towards Byfield. But I wouldn't be mad if we took Stützle.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
This has probably been posted on your boards before, but in case not...

There was an interview 2 months ago in german media with Marco Sturm and he was asked if he is involved in scouting/draft and what he thinks about Stutzle. Sturm basically said that the Kings scouts think Stutzle is a "world class forward". And he hopes the Kings get him. Sturm himself is not really involved in the draft process, they only asked him for his opinion on Stutzle.

Starts at ~ 13.50

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I would take Byfield too - just analyzing from Kings perspective.

How great would it be in a Laker-Clipper town that two of the Kings top players in a few years are African American players - Thomas and Byfield. That would really help the game grow and bring in new fans.
I like your enthusiasm and optimism of Thomas but I think he'll be one converted and may end up on the 3rd-4th line RWing! But you never know with Chemistry though so he has a chance to be a top 6

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Kings should take Byfield
Kings might take Drysdale
They may have taken Drysdale going into the 2019-20 season when they had question marks behind Drew...And now with the 2nd overall there is a slim and No chance they take a D-man,perhaps with the 48th or 59th pick?

Reactions: Guitpik

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
People on these boards are still sleeping on Vilardi’s potential. He still very well could be a true 1C. Many rankings had him in the top five, and Wheeler even ranked him #3 behind Hischier and Patrick. The sky is the limit with Vilardi. He does not top out as a 2C.

With the second overall pick, there’s really only one question to ask: who has the highest potential in the draft? I think the answer is Byfield. If we have five incredible centers in our cupboard, we can trade one or two for great players at other positions. Kopitar is going to be 33 to start next season. He isn’t getting any younger. He’d likely be 34 or 35 by the time Byfield makes the roster.

If we have to move Vilardi or Turcotte or Thomas or JAD to a wing, we do it happily, because that means there are better options at center.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
People on these boards are still sleeping on Vilardi’s potential. He still very well could be a true 1C. Many rankings had him in the top five, and Wheeler even ranked him #3 behind Hischier and Patrick. The sky is the limit with Vilardi. He does not top out as a 2C.

With the second overall pick, there’s really only one question to ask: who has the highest potential in the draft? I think the answer is Byfield. If we have five incredible centers in our cupboard, we can trade one or two for great players at other positions. Kopitar is going to be 33 to start next season. He isn’t getting any younger. He’d likely be 34 or 35 by the time Byfield makes the roster.

If we have to move Vilardi or Turcotte or Thomas or JAD to a wing, we do it happily, because that means there are better options at center.
i think it's a little cautious optimism on vilardi. i take nothing away from the kid, he's doing great but i can't help but temper expectations given his history

that said, all these kids shoot the puck so well nowadays, i don't think there's anything stopping someone from moving to a wing. stock up on centers if that's what it takes. i've never been one to gamble on a goalscorer anyway

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
The concern with Byfield is he gets most of his points on odd man rushes. Hopefully the Kings have seen him enough to know if he’s good on the cycle as well. I still like Drysdale but I’ve only watched a few videos.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
I don't think the Kings get cute at #2. They'd get eviscerated for not getting value. IF they somehow want Drysdale so bad, they had better trade down. And I'd still be pissed.

I think we are positioned better at D than most think . There’s no way we take Drysdale. All signs point to Stutzle he’s a game changer with high end skill who fits today’s NHL style best. Byfield has to many question marks . And listening to Yannetti and knowing we didn’t interview Byfield pretty much says a lot

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think we are positioned better at D than most think . There’s no way we take Drysdale. All signs point to Stutzle he’s a game changer with high end skill who fits today’s NHL style best. Byfield has to many question marks . And listening to Yannetti and knowing we didn’t interview Byfield pretty much says a lot
If the Kings don't talk to Byfield, that's a failure to do their homework and grounds for dismissal IMO.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

I see Vilardi(RW),Thomas(RW) and JAD(LW) as Wingers. The Kings need to find some snipers on the wing,hopefully with the 35th,48th picks or maybe with a package of picks that gets them back into the later part of the first,ahead of Anaheim's pick from Boston! Maybe a European,we can leave over there for 3-4 seasons and have them Man strong once they get to LA,ala Forsberg,Selanne and Kubalik!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Please no Stuetzle,The Kings need a Byfield and a Holtz and a Raymond too

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
The concern with Byfield is he gets most of his points on odd man rushes. Hopefully the Kings have seen him enough to know if he’s good on the cycle as well. I still like Drysdale but I’ve only watched a few videos.
I see Drysdale going to New Jersey with Detroit kicking the tires! And Ottawa may use the 5th selection,but doubt count on it. New Jersey is the perfect destination for him. Ditto for the Red Wings who are woefully thin there at R-Defense or have prospects(Seider,Lindstrom,Tuomisto and Berglund plying their wares in Sweden,Finland or AHL. And prospects are not NHL players yet

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Byfield is the logical long term choice, but I do love what I have seen from Stutzle, he’s a strong candidate at #2 in his own right. I also really like that he can be dropped into the AHL sooner and more effectively work with this organizations training and coaching staff, and come up alongside guys like Turcotte and Madden.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
The kings did not interview Byfield since they thought they would not be "picking that high" [#2OA]. Have the kings interviewed Stutzle? If they did, wouldn't that indicate they rank Byfield as a higher pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad