Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IchabodCrane

Mar 11, 2023
I agree. Panarin is an albatross in the playoffs and needs to go to a team that never makes the playoffs, like Columbus again or Arizona. I'm over his BS. If they hire Q it BETTER NOT BE to appease that loser.
Yea we need less guys like him obviously. Then we went out and made the most ny move ever with an older, injured american panarin…. We fans will never learn. Names dont win championships. Dolan is making moves for the brand… not to win. Have you ever seen what that nasty dude looks like?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I've probably been around longer. I remember when Red Sullivan was fired and replaced by Emile Francis (I think that was 1965). I remember when GM Francis was always trying to replace coach Francis with, first Bernie Geoffrion, then Larry Popein, then Ron (almost said Rod) Stewart. Never worked. I remember when Phil Esposito replaced Michele Bergeron right before the playoffs. I remember when the Rangers were in such disarray after the Esposito era that they were not able to hire a coach until August 15th (Roger Neilson). When they hired Tom Webster but had to replace him because an ear infection left him unable to fly.

Actually, I tend to disagree, to a degree. I think hockey is one of those sports where coaching does matter. It's not so much in game tactics (I don't think there is really that much difference between coaches although there is a spectrum of effectiveness and GG was on the low end) but off-ice, behind the scenes stuff that we never see, that determines how effective a coach is. Handling disparate personalities, players at different points in their careers, dealing with player's personal and off-ice issues like family, is where a coach earns his bread and butter. That is what puzzles me somewhat about all the hearsay from the breakup day conferences. GG was supposed to be a players' coach, at least that was what we were told and led to believe. I still think that the job he did in the first year of Vegas's existence is one of the greatest coaching job ever, in any sport. He created an atmosphere where those castoffs thrived.

I'm still not sure of the direction I want this team to go. My gut reaction is to go with a younger, first time coach like Knoblauch. But then I back away thinking that, with this team at this time, that is not the right move. Why do I think that, in the end, it will be Laviolette, or Babcock, or some other retread? There is always Sather (ugh), or Espo (I don't think he is in the best of health), or the ghost of Roger Neilson!
How do you determine a coach's effectiveness?

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
How do you determine a coach's effectiveness?
Different code, different country but in my mind the most effective man-manager in any code of the last 50 years was Sir Alex Ferguson from the English Premier League. His writing on leadership, on setting benchmarks and minimum standards of behaviour on and off the pitch took a team that hadn’t won a title in years and established a dynasty. Trying to remember the exact quote but I recall in an interview something along the lines of “to even be considered as an elite player and get signed you already have about 90-95% of the tools necessary…”- it’s the coach/manager’s role to provide the additional mindset of winning so that the players have the skill AND mental strength to succeed. There’s a famous anecdote of one pre-match speech between Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur where he simply walked into the rooms, looked at the players and said “Lads, it’s Tottenham” - they knew the rest.

Obviously a generational talent in terms of leadership however I maintain that at the professional level it’s the bosses job to remind the lazy ones of what they’re getting paid to do and I don’t think GG did it enough.

Reactions: claysimonsen

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
It seems like nobody is a standout. So bring in Mess for the 30th anny year, hope and pray and then move on. It’s not like Knobby would be a lock for a cup. F it. Bring in Leetch and Gravy as assistants. And get Tikkanen out of jail for a few inspirational speeches. I’m in.
Wait, Tikk is in jail??

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I have to assume those selecting Messier are being funny or are still fuming over the loss.

Are people here too young to remember the Brian Trottier experiment? I'd take everyone on that poll before Messier, w/o question.
There's definitely a section of this fanbase (not necessarily on this board) who are really dumb and worship anything and everything to do with the "caw faw of ninedy faw".

I often then tell those people Sergei Zubov was the secret ingredient or just as important and I'm greeted with deflections, xenophobia, and "yeah but....." arguments.

(And for those keeping score at home, Zubov was not really a good HC).

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Not too sure that we should go from a coach with a very good regular season record who didn't get it done in the playoffs to either of Sullivan or Keefe, both of which had deep veteran rosters and mostly could not get it done in the playoffs.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Different code, different country but in my mind the most effective man-manager in any code of the last 50 years was Sir Alex Ferguson from the English Premier League. His writing on leadership, on setting benchmarks and minimum standards of behaviour on and off the pitch took a team that hadn’t won a title in years and established a dynasty. Trying to remember the exact quote but I recall in an interview something along the lines of “to even be considered as an elite player and get signed you already have about 90-95% of the tools necessary…”- it’s the coach/manager’s role to provide the additional mindset of winning so that the players have the skill AND mental strength to succeed. There’s a famous anecdote of one pre-match speech between Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur where he simply walked into the rooms, looked at the players and said “Lads, it’s Tottenham” - they knew the rest.

Obviously a generational talent in terms of leadership however I maintain that at the professional level it’s the bosses job to remind the lazy ones of what they’re getting paid to do and I don’t think GG did it enough.

No NHL players are lazy.

You don't attain the highest level at anything if you are lazy.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'm a Messier fan but a bit surprised to see him get so many votes. Does anyone have any idea about his ability to coach?

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
No NHL players are lazy.

You don't attain the highest level at anything if you are lazy.

With respect - I agree with your second statement and call bullshit on your first. I’ve seen many, many players too lazy to skate fast, to hit, or to give a shit. Some of them in our own franchise.

Reactions: mas0764

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
If Messier is on the list why not add Leetch, Graves, Bill Pidto, Sam Rosen, Joe Micheletti Henrik Lundvist, Joel Lundqvist, Dominic Moore, Tie Domi, Brad Richards, Dale Purinton Manny Malhotra to the voting choices 😂😂

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I've probably been around longer. I remember when Red Sullivan was fired and replaced by Emile Francis (I think that was 1965). I remember when GM Francis was always trying to replace coach Francis with, first Bernie Geoffrion, then Larry Popein, then Ron (almost said Rod) Stewart. Never worked. I remember when Phil Esposito replaced Michele Bergeron right before the playoffs. I remember when the Rangers were in such disarray after the Esposito era that they were not able to hire a coach until August 15th (Roger Neilson). When they hired Tom Webster but had to replace him because an ear infection left him unable to fly.

Actually, I tend to disagree, to a degree. I think hockey is one of those sports where coaching does matter. It's not so much in game tactics (I don't think there is really that much difference between coaches although there is a spectrum of effectiveness and GG was on the low end) but off-ice, behind the scenes stuff that we never see, that determines how effective a coach is. Handling disparate personalities, players at different points in their careers, dealing with player's personal and off-ice issues like family, is where a coach earns his bread and butter. That is what puzzles me somewhat about all the hearsay from the breakup day conferences. GG was supposed to be a players' coach, at least that was what we were told and led to believe. I still think that the job he did in the first year of Vegas's existence is one of the greatest coaching job ever, in any sport. He created an atmosphere where those castoffs thrived.

I'm still not sure of the direction I want this team to go. My gut reaction is to go with a younger, first time coach like Knoblauch. But then I back away thinking that, with this team at this time, that is not the right move. Why do I think that, in the end, it will be Laviolette, or Babcock, or some other retread? There is always Sather (ugh), or Espo (I don't think he is in the best of health), or the ghost of Roger Neilson!
@alkurtz maybe you can answer these questions for me. I've asked many older Rangers fans in bars or casual convo usually before games. No one has been able to.

1. Tom Webster: He coached the Kings a few years later and especially in those days, flying from Los Angles was a lot more taxing, mileage, and less glamorous and comfortable. Was the ear infection real, was he able to have it treated/surgery post Rangers and pre Kings, or was it just a case (my theory) of Esposito being impulsive, childish, and a hot head who had no business running an operation and regretting the hire and using the ear infection as a cover up to part ways?

2. Outrage towards Esposito: Most Rangers fans look back at his tenure and either laugh at it sheepishly, or shrug and say he tried to be new and innovative. Why wasn't there more outrage or people calling for his head especially after the Bergeron dismissal? Even way prior, some of his trades were just boenheaded. Rick Carpiniello told a story about his breakup day 1989 presser where he had food poisoning from bad Chinese food and just freaked out and threw a hissy fit at his players after a journalist's question, but that was it. I know Larry was with the Devils at this point, but where were the other members of the press writing that he was a clueless impulsive childish maniac?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
With respect - I agree with your second statement and call bullshit on your first. I’ve seen many, many players too lazy to skate fast, to hit, or to give a shit. Some of them in our own franchise.

If you agree part 2 is accurate, part 1 can't be inaccurate.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Slept on it a few days and this is where I stand at the moment.

The team needs structure. It may not he the sexiest brand of hockey, but I think Claude Julien is the guy that will get the most out of this group. NMC's, the cap, and contracts will prevent this team from making huge changes this summer.

Get Panarin playing with some structure and move him to RW (I'm going to keep beating this drum till it happens) to force him to play more straight ahead 5 v 5. Julien's track record with developing young talent isn't terrible, but his game plan plays best to this team's strengths. Defensive structure and breakouts would improve greatly and therefore 5 v 5 play would improve greatly. His offensive game plan is cycle, cycle, and cycle. This favors our roster composition with the exception of Panarin and maybe Lafreniere. I'm done catering to the former. Just about everyone else would look better under a Julien system.

This next coach has two years to win something with this group. When the Rangers are able to unload Panarin and Trouba and retool when the cap goes up, I'd bring someone else in.

Babcock would be an unmitigated disaster here. As would Messier, but for different reasons. Laviollette won't bring structure either. Wrong choice for this roster. Sutter is a pipe dream. He goes to Edmonton if Woodcroft gets the axe, but he otherwise retires to his ranch in Alberta.

Knobloch is who you bring in a couple of years from now. Not now with this current roster.

Everyone else in this poll would flop, IMO.

Reactions: SickNice

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I know Babcock makes most of us cringe at first blush, but at the very least he is a well regarded X's & O's guy - his main thing was being a good tactician with good systems. Question would be is did he learn his lesson about how he treats his players and would his X's & O's translate into today's NHL?

Reactions: Kravtsov420
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad