Who are your Top 10 Forwards next season?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
McDavid
MacKinnon
Kucherov
Barkov
Matthews
Draisaitl
Pasternak
Rantanen
Kiprizov
Hughes

IdleTraveller

Mar 30, 2024
London, UK
OK, this is actually a serious question here as I'm relatively new to HF Boards. Leaving aside the fact that the Panthers won the cup [team effort, Bob, blah blah blah], Barkov won his second Selke this year and I didn't see much chatter on here about that award not being deserved. And yet, he doesn't make the lists of a lot of people's top ten.

Is this a common issue that players who win Selkes are not automatically considered top ten forwards in the years that they won, in the way that players that win the Hart/Art Ross/Rocket Richard are? Was this an issue with Bergeron and Kopitar in the past, or is there something about Barkov in particular or the market he plays in?

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
"Barkov is Top40 max" , "Barkov is overrated" and "Selke`s dont mean shit".... :D :D

I bet Viola&Maurice sleep pretty good this summer having such a shitty player to captain their team! I bet that Panarin, Hughes, Kaprizov and Matthews are more impactful players.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
OK, this is actually a serious question here as I'm relatively new to HF Boards. Leaving aside the fact that the Panthers won the cup [team effort, Bob, blah blah blah], Barkov won his second Selke this year and I didn't see much chatter on here about that award not being deserved. And yet, he doesn't make the lists of a lot of people's top ten.

Is this a common issue that players who win Selkes are not automatically considered top ten forwards in the years that they won, in the way that players that win the Hart/Art Ross/Rocket Richard are? Was this an issue with Bergeron and Kopitar in the past, or is there something about Barkov in particular or the market he plays in?

I don't see any subjective award as a guarantee a player is top 10 at their position. Of course it's likely they are but there are always exceptions, even with Hart I am not certain I would have had Hall in my top 10 for forwards the season after. Selke is certainly a step down, if not two, from Hart. Art Ross/Richard are objective stats based awards and a clearer indication in my mind.

Can't remember the seasons other players had around the time Kopitar/Toews got their Selke's well enough to tell if they were top 10 or not.

Now Barkov? He is fringe top 10 for me, certainly behind McDavid, Draisaitl, Kucherov, MacKinnon, Matthews, Pastrnak and then there is a group of like 5-10 players that's interchangeable. If Barkov and, say, Kaprizov switched teams I am not so certain that Panthers would suffer.

Reactions: IdleTraveller

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
1: McDavid
2: MacKinnon
3: Kucherov
4: Pasta
5: Matthews
6: Kaprizov
7: Barkov
8: Draisaitl
9: Matthew Tkatchuk
10: Bedard

No Panarin, feel like this season was an outlier and that he's a candidate to take an age related setback. I'm thinking Bedard hits 100 points if he's healthy with the added depth on the Hawks. HM to Forsberg, could have an elite season with Stamkos feeding him.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

It's pretty common for Selke award winners.

Very few Selke winners are among the league-leaders in offence (because they sacrifice offence for defence?) and it's still fairly subjective to judge a player's defensive contributions. It's getting better with advanced stats but the team defence/goaltending/overall performance can all have a pretty major impact.

As a reputational award, it can take awhile for the media to recognize a player's defensive play, and even then, there's a sort of PPG threshold that generally has to be met even before being considered for the award.

Similar to the Norris trophy, you don't have defensively focused forwards winning it very often anymore (since the early 2000s with Madden, Draper, Peca), so it becomes this "does he have enough points to be considered and how long has he been recognized for his two-way play" kind of award.

The same debate with Barkov happened with Kopitar and Bergeron, depending on how much the individual values their two-way performance and how much their defensive abilities offset the discrepancy in offence.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
1: McDavid
2: MacKinnon
3: Kucherov
4: Pasta
5: Matthews
6: Thompson
7: Barkov
8: Draisaitl
9: Matthew Tkatchuk
10: Hughes

Not specifically in order I guess. is this points only?

I have high hopes for Tage this year. Not this high but it's possible and I am going to go with it. Especially if he is the previous Tage and not last year.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
how many dinners do you think he owes Bob?
You do realize the Panthers defeated teams with better goalies than Bob on their road to become Stanley Cup Champions over the Edmonton Oilers? Ya couldn’t beat Bob?

Spoiler Alert: Ya wouldn’t have beaten Shesterkin, Vasilevskiy or Swayman either.

How many dinners do Oilers fans owe Bob for being a cope security blanket?

Last edited:

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
1. Connor McDavid, C, EDM
2. Nathan MacKinnon, C, COL
3. Nikita Kucherov, RW, TBL
4. Auston Matthews, C, TOR
5. David Pastrnak, RW, BOS
6. Leon Draisaitl, C/LW, EDM
7. Artemi Panarin, LW, NYR
8. Mikko Rantanen, RW, COL
9. Brady Tkachuk, C/LW, OTT
10. William Nylander, RW, TOR
My 7 through 10 would look like this:

7- Rantanen
8- Forsberg
9- Guentzel
10- Kaprizov

Forgot Kaprizov

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023
You do realize the Panthers defeated teams with better goalies than Bob on their road to become Stanley Cup Champions over the Edmonton Oilers? Ya couldn’t beat Bob?

Spoiler Alert: Ya wouldn’t have beaten Shesterkin, Vasilevskiy or Swayman either.

How many dinners do Oilers fans owe Bob for being a cope security blanket?
coping so hard you're making up terms lmao. Barkov is the only forward on these lists whose value depends on how well his goalie plays.
Ridiculous and salty, Barkov is absolutely a top 10 player
they're not my lists

Last edited:

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
coping so hard you're making up terms lmao. Barkov is the only forward on these lists whose value depends on how well his goalie plays.

they're not my lists
At least we agree can agree that with the Stanley Cup on the line in a game 7:

Barkov + Bobrovsky > McDavid + Draisaitl.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
The only thing I know is that Barkov owes Bob half of this year's take-home.
If you think the Panthers could have won the Stanley Cup without Barkov, that’s hilarious.

In reality, Captain Selke winner Stanley Cup champion, Barkov and the Panthers would have defeated McDavid with any of the goalies they beat in the Eastern Conference. Enjoy the warmth of your Bob Cope blanket.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus
Jan 13, 2023
If you think the Panthers could have won the Stanley Cup without Barkov, that’s hilarious.

In reality, Captain Selke winner Stanley Cup champion, Barkov and the Panthers would have defeated McDavid with any of the goalies they beat in the Eastern Conference. Enjoy the warmth of your Bob Cope blanket.
Meh, hockey's a team sport and he fits with that group, but it's not like you could have inserted him in at 1C on any other team and made them better. Why's he been left off so many lists?

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Meh, hockey's a team sport and he fits with that group, but it's not like you could have inserted him in at 1C on any other team and made them better. Why's he been left off so many lists?
You really don’t think Rangers and Bruins would be better if Barkov was their 1C instead?

He’s been left off lists because his skillset requires more than just “pt totals” to evaluate him. He’s a mastermind on the ice on many levels. Most fans of other teams don’t watch him play enough to recognize it.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
If playoffs included:

1) Connor McDavid
2) Leon Draisaitl
3) Nathan MacKinnon
4) Nikita Kucherov
5) David Pastrnak
6) Auston Matthews
7) Aleksander Barkov
8) Matthew Tkachuk
9) J. T. Miller
10a) Tim Stützle (my wild guess, could end up not being in the top 20 as well, but I have the feeling he could crack the 100 points next year if healthy)
10b) Mikko Rantanen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad