Which team has a better rebuild? Habs vs Red Wings?

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Wings will make the playoff's this year but Habs prospects look superior . Redwings Goalies are better, Habs young D better , Habs forwards better. Demidov should be better than Raymond . Seider is better than any of the Habs young D but Montreal is deeper .

Seider and Edvinsson are better than any D in Montreal’s system. Detroit’s D prospect depth is as deep as Montreal’s with better high end pieces. You also ignored centers which Detroit is much better situated. Assuming Demidov will be better than Raymond is also quite an assumption.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Vegas I give you, but beating WPG and Toronto is not that impressive.
The narrative of "shit" division has been beaten to death and it was and still is complete nonsense. By your argument, if say Winnipeg or Toronto made the same run, it wouldn't count? And Montreal walked all over Vegas.

Other teams in the same shit division you skated in on due to quarantine? Yes. Thanks.

We'll conveniently ignore that in normal conference alignment, Montreal wouldn't even have qualified. :thumbu:

Two easy matchups followed by a beaten down Vegas.

They got bounced from the playoffs due to a tiebreaker with only 2 of their 7 1st rounders over the prior 5 drafts on the roster lol.
Sounds like a weak coping mechanism for you.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
and got spanked. the habs followed that up with being the 1st ever team to finish 32nd overall. im sure that run was fun as a fan but the finals appearance was a fluke product of the bubble. it's not something to brag about.
Calling that a fluke indicates you never saw the 2021 playoffs.

Under normal conferences, neither did. :laugh:
How about the circumstances that actually existed and acknowledging what actually occurred? You mention the bubble... You seem to be in one still.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
19-20: 24th in the league. .500
20-21: 18th in the league. 10th in standard eastern conference. .527
21-22: 32nd in the league. .335

Yep! 20-21 was totally not a fluke and had NOTHING to do with COVID alignment!

Reactions: dirtydanglez

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

I don't understand habs fans who think its not a fluke , it was a fluke , it was also fun to see our AHL team with the greateast goalie of his generation piss on the entire NHL for a few weeks. Bergevin was trying to compete and go all in in all of those years where we finished near the bottom of the league its hilarious , such an idiot gm its incredible.

It was a fluke but they also pissed on the leafs the jets and vegas in a bo7, series I don't know how you can take that away from them. Was the team good on paper ? No , would they have made the loffs in a normal year? Probably not , did they piss on everybody except Tampa in the post season that year? Absolutely!

and got spanked. the habs followed that up with being the 1st ever team to finish 32nd overall. im sure that run was fun as a fan but the finals appearance was a fluke product of the bubble. it's not something to brag about.
Its absolutely something to brag about what are you talking about did you look at that roster on paper? How are we not going to brag when we made the finals with that roster :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:. Dude we were crying to rebuild for years because the team has been absolute dog meat on paper , they played above their heads and made a nice run .

All the habs haters in here come off as mad salty , and the fact theres even Detroit fans in here talking smack is crazy to me...like really? Detroit?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
I don't understand habs fans who think its not a fluke , it was a fluke , it was also fun to see our AHL team with the greateast goalie of his generation piss on the entire NHL for a few weeks. Bergevin was trying to compete and go all in in all of those years where we finished near the bottom of the league its hilarious , such an idiot gm its incredible.

It was a fluke but they also pissed on the leafs the jets and vegas in a bo7, series I don't know how you can take that away from them. Was the team good on paper ? No , would they have made the loffs in a normal year? Probably not , did they piss on everybody except Tampa in the post season that year? Absolutely!

Its absolutely something to brag about what are you talking about did you look at that roster on paper? How are we not going to brag when we made the finals with that roster :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:. Dude we were crying to rebuild for years because the team has been absolute dog meat on paper , they played above their heads and made a nice run .

All the habs haters in here come off as mad salty , and the fact theres even Detroit fans in here talking smack is crazy to me...like really? Detroit?:laugh::laugh::laugh:
i actually agree with most of this but trying to hold it over another teams head when it was clearly a fluke is pretty weak.

thebestnic

Jun 29, 2022
I'm biased as a Habs fan but I'm not a big fan of the Detroit rebuild. With 2 of their top 3 f at their prime(Larkin, Dcat) they really should already be making the playoffs but I don't see a path to contention

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I'm biased as a Habs fan but I'm not a big fan of the Detroit rebuild. With 2 of their top 3 f at their prime(Larkin, Dcat) they really should already be making the playoffs but I don't see a path to contention

I mean Suzuki and Caufield are older than Raymond and Seider... Debrincat is a ripe 26.

thebestnic

Jun 29, 2022
I mean Suzuki and Caufield are older than Raymond and Seider... Debrincat is a ripe 26.
1720633815321.png

Took 2 seconds to google, but yeah I think Larkin and Dcat being 26-27 is a big deal. It means their best window is the next 3-4 years, and I don't see anyone in your pipeline who is gonna be better than Larkin. I will have the same criticism for the Habs if we don't start making the playoffs next year(when Demidov come over).

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
View attachment 893898
Took 2 seconds to google, but yeah I think Larkin and Dcat being 26-27 is a big deal. It means their best window is the next 3-4 years, and I don't see anyone in your pipeline who is gonna be better than Larkin. I will have the same criticism for the Habs if we don't start making the playoffs next year(when Demidov come over).

As Larkin gets older the team gets younger since he predated the "Yzerplan" as everyone calls it. Great captain but not the savior of our franchise. Teams have been known to win with a captain who's over 27 years old once in a while.

thebestnic

Jun 29, 2022
As Larkin gets older the team gets younger since he predated the "Yzerplan" as everyone calls it. Great captain but not the savior of our franchise. Teams have been known to win with a captain who's over 27 years old once in a while.
Who is gonna be the savior though ? Guys like Danielson, Kasper, MBN, etc. are nice prospects but realistically not gonna be 1st line players. I guess the one advantage you guys have is that you have been able to reliably sign free agents...

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

How do you know how they'd do against teams from other divisions when they didn't play them that year until you got into final four where they in fact beat the winner from another division? League standings were meaningless that year.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Who is gonna be the savior though ? Guys like Danielson, Kasper, MBN, etc. are nice prospects but realistically not gonna be 1st line players. I guess the one advantage you guys have is that you have been able to reliably sign free agents...

Hard to say as the kids develop... I'm far from a scout so I don't pretend to know a ton about prospects, I barely know much about the Wings prospects. Larkin was 15th overall, it wouldn't be shocking if Danielson or Kasper became a ppg 2way center. I do think Detroit is building a St Louis style team (for lack of better comparison). Big, skilled, 2way, drive you crazy to play against.

I've been wrong about enough Detroit prospects I just have to hope Yzerman, Draper and Hakan (who thankfully is getting way more influence in our early picks) are going to do a much better job than Holland, Wright, etc.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Weird considering Detroit has been rebuilding for less time yet has come closer to the playoffs than either, while still having a top prospect pool.

Here's to hoping y'all can be the ones to end that Canadian Cupless drought before it hits 50 years.

Weird, considering they've been out of the playoffs for the last 8 seasons and their loser of a GM who's been on the job for 5-6 years still publically hasn't able to commit to his team being any good.

Failed franchise for a failed city is a nice fit though, I'll give the Wings that.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'm not a fan of either team, but I like some players from both. I'm just super bummed out that Larkin and Suzuki are being wasted on these stalled rebuilds.

Suzuki is my favourite Hab, other than Price , that I can remember.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Looking over the Wikipedia page of that years playoffs I would say that they were not spanked.They were in those games they lost. Another chart on the page lists goaltender stats. The Habs went up 4 of the 5 goaltenders ahead of price for GAA. They did not have an easy path to the cup and to top it off TB played the cap rules well.If I remember correctly they were 18 Million over the cap. They had better have won with that roster. No shame for the Habs to have lost. The next year they not the same team then decimated by injuries setting a league record of over 700 man games lost. It was so bad they had to call Cam Hillis up from the ECHL. They had one healthy contract in the minors. 2020-21 Montreal Canadiens Roster, Stats, Injuries, Scores, Results, Shootouts | Hockey-Reference.com

I'm not a fan of either team, but I like some players from both. I'm just super bummed out that Larkin and Suzuki are being wasted on these stalled rebuilds.

Suzuki is my favourite Hab, other than Price , that I can remember.
Curious here. Why do you believe the Habs rebuild is stalled?

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Weird, considering they've been out of the playoffs for the last 8 seasons and their loser of a GM who's been on the job for 5-6 years still publically hasn't able to commit to his team being any good.

Failed franchise for a failed city is a nice fit though, I'll give the Wings that.

Yeah bro Yzerman should've had it turned around from where he started with a 2nd best player of Mantha and top two prospects of Zadina and Veleno by now.

If only he'd had some lottery luck like Montreal he could... Oh... Still be a bottom five team. :laugh:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yeah bro Yzerman should've had it turned around from a 2nd best player of Mantha and top two prospects of Zadina and Veleno by now.

If only he'd had some lottery luck like Montreal he could... Oh... Still be a bottom five team. :laugh:

If women's standards for men were as low as Wings fans for their team and GM, there'd be no single men on the planet. :dunce:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Remarkable how much time you spend thinking about Montreal, ur in every thread posting 20+ times lmfao
I'd just recently cleared out my ignore list. Now I remember why he was on it. Threads look much cleaner with him on it.

i dont like the wings rebuild but no one over 20 is laughing at the wings. they were a top notch franchise for like 25 consecutive years.
Agreed, they were a great franchise until the last decade or so. I've got nothing against the Wings or the vast majority of their fans. I wish the team the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad