Proposal: Which fan base would do this trade Matthew Knies For Jesper Wallstedt

Which fan base would do this trade and if so why?

• Neutral fan would do the trade

Votes: 24 5.2%
  • Neutral fan would not do the trade

Votes: 193 41.4%
  • Toronto fan would do the trade

Votes: 61 13.1%
  • Toronto fan would not do the trade

Votes: 89 19.1%
  • Minnesota fan would do the trade

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Minnesota fan would not do the trade

Votes: 91 19.5%

• Total voters

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Average goal tending. You mean their goalie prospect who had better stats in the AHL than Walllstedt?. Or Woll who gave up 2 goals in 2 games and 1 period in the playoffs against Boston.

Comparing your starter's AHL stats to a prospect, and then using a 2-game sample size may be an indication of what he's talking about.

I like Woll, but your post is just bad. He hasn't proven to be anything more than an average NHL starter yet.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
So
Comparing your starter's AHL stats to a prospect, and then using a 2-game sample size may be an indication of what he's talking about.

I like Woll, but your post is just bad. He hasn't proven to be anything more than an average NHL starter yet.
Our AHL starter is 9 months older than the "prospect" (Wallstadt). Woll hasn't even proven that he's an average NHL starter, he's not out of the "flash in the pan" goalie range for a while yet. But the point is that we actually have a little bit of depth in the young goalie range, which makes trading our budding young PF for another goalie prospect an odd choice.

Regardless, this thread hinges on people assuming that Knies doesn't have star upside, which he absolutely does. We're not trading that for a goalie prospect, who are notoriously voodoo, especially when we have some prospect depth there already. 21 year old rookies with 15 goals and a power forward game are not exactly common prospects, nor are 25 year old 30g power forwards common players. An elite goalie might be more valuable in the long run, but I think everyone knows how rare it is for even a very good goalie prospect to actually become that elite goalie.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
When it comes to Knies, a lot of folks ignore his most appealing attribute which is he projects a top 6 power forward. Too many people saying he is just a 2nd line winger. Most teams kill for a guy like him in their top 6 and honestly he's been in 2 playoffs and been clutch af in both. Guy is a winner.

If it wasn't for the hype, no one is saying Wallstedt is any good for a .910sv% in the AHL and a .897sv in 1 NHL game. Meanwhile you know Knies is an NHler

Considering he went to the University of Minnesota, I'm sure most Wild fans know exactly the type of player Knies is. He has a chance to be a pretty good winger, but that's an easier position to backfill than one of the top goaltending prospects in the NHL.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Considering he went to the University of Minnesota, I'm sure most Wild fans know exactly the type of player Knies is. He has a chance to be a pretty good winger, but that's an easier position to backfill than one of the top goaltending prospects in the NHL.
Nah this doesn't make any sense. That would be like saying any player in the OHL Leaf fans are experts on. I very much doubt any significant portion of fans were repeated viewers of college hockey.

Askarov and Wallstedt are considered the clear 2 best goalie prospects. Both hovered around .910.

How many power forward top 6 wingers are in the league today? Under 10? Goalies also simply do not have the value of other players. We have tons of history to show that. Nevermind unproven prospects.

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019

The first part was about Hildeby who had better stats than Wallstedt in the AHL And the Marlies were not exactly a powerhouse team last year.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Knies is like a unicorn in Leaf land. They’ve been trying to develop a guy w this exact skill set for about a decade . Wallsteadt could be a stud so value wise I could see it ; but I think both teams keep their guys . Leafs additionally have a few promising goalie bullets in the pipeline . You never know w goalies .

Reactions: HabzSauce

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Knies is nice, but Wallstedt ceiling is higher and is floor isn't that bad either.
However, Toronto would like be looking at a keeper with more experience.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Nah this doesn't make any sense. That would be like saying any player in the OHL Leaf fans are experts on. I very much doubt any significant portion of fans were repeated viewers of college hockey.

There was plenty of Matthew Knies discussion on the Wild boards over the past few years as there is a lot of overlap between Gopher fans and Wild fans.. Many of us have watched most of his NCAA games and discussed him, as well as Brock Faber, Logan Cooley and Jimmy Snuggerud especially after they attained NHL prospect status.

And it's nothing like your OHL analogy. The Gophers are one of the most storied NCAA programs in the country and play about about 7 miles away from the Xcel Energy Center, Every Gopher hockey game is televised locally in the Twin Cities. During the years between when the North Stars left and the Wild came in, Gopher hockey was the biggest and most popular game in town.

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

How many power forward top 6 wingers are in the league today? Under 10? Goalies also simply do not have the value of other players. We have tons of history to show that. Nevermind unproven prospects.
That's fine, I don't begrudge anyone their opinion they rather have Knies.

I was mostly responding the the portion of your post that said

"If it wasn't for the hype, no one is saying Wallstedt is any good for a .910sv% in the AHL "

A .910 and winning record with the team that was in front of him is ridiculous performance for him, and well worth the Hype.

As far as knowing any player OHL wide, it's not the same thing. There are 6 D1 hockey teams in Minnesota, but it's the U of M and everyone else. Everyone else will have some small regional support from current students/alums/locals, and with the exception of the brand new St Thomas are only D1 in hockey.

U of M support is more state wide, average 9000+ in attendance, and has almost all games broadcast on TV within the state. None of the other programs have that. If you're a hockey fan without a direct tie to the other colleges via location/attendance, you probably grew up a Gopher fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: TaLoN

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
There was plenty of Matthew Knies discussion on the Wild boards over the past few years as there is a lot of overlap between Gopher fans and Wild fans.. Many of us have watched most of his NCAA games and discussed him, as well as Brock Faber, Logan Cooley and Jimmy Snuggerud especially after they attained NHL prospect status.

And it's nothing like your OHL analogy. The Gophers are one of the most storied NCAA programs in the country and play about about 7 miles away from the Xcel Energy Center, Every Gopher hockey game is televised locally in the Twin Cities. During the years between when the North Stars left and the Wild came in, Gopher hockey was the biggest and most popular game in town.

That's fine, I don't begrudge anyone their opinion they rather have Knies.

I was mostly responding the the portion of your post that said

"If it wasn't for the hype, no one is saying Wallstedt is any good for a .910sv% in the AHL "

A .910 and winning record with the team that was in front of him is ridiculous performance for him, and well worth the Hype.

As far as knowing any player OHL wide, it's not the same thing. There are 6 D1 hockey teams in Minnesota, but it's the U of M and everyone else. Everyone else will have some small regional support from current students/alums/locals, and with the exception of the brand new St Thomas are only D1 in hockey.

U of M support is more state wide, average 9000+ in attendance, and has almost all games broadcast on TV within the state. None of the other programs have that. If you're a hockey fan without a direct tie to the other colleges via location/attendance, you probably grew up a Gopher fan.

End of the day, as we sit here offseason 2024 it is lunacy to suggest a prospect goalie who has never proved himself in the NHL and could very well end up being just a decent starter or less is not worth a player the same age with 1.5 years of NHL experience under their belt with a very desired and valuable skillset.

We are like 1 season removed from Tampa trading all of their picks for a guy who plays like Knies but is 1/4 the player. I am not sure if in the history of the NHL a goalie has returned a top 6 power forward in their 20's.

Am I saying that Wallstedt will never become more than that and Knies is a lock to become some GOAT player of course not. I am saying with what we have in front of us, only on HFboards could the mystery box be seriously considered over the boat.

To be honest Wild fans are prone to the same homerisms and bias every other fanbase has, I don't expect many to honestly choose almost any player over a guy they have become attached to following and believe in. But this feels like something in 3 years that is completely laughable was even discussed.

Even if Knies tops out as a 50 point LW, the style of game he plays in the modern NHL makes him one of the more valuable pieces out there. Wallstedt would need to become a top 5 goalie year in and out in the mold of Shesterkin or Vasi for there to be a conversation that wasn't laughable.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
End of the day, as we sit here offseason 2024 it is lunacy to suggest a prospect goalie who has never proved himself in the NHL and could very well end up being just a decent starter or less is not worth a player the same age with 1.5 years of NHL experience under their belt with a very desired and valuable skillset.

We are like 1 season removed from Tampa trading all of their picks for a guy who plays like Knies but is 1/4 the player. I am not sure if in the history of the NHL a goalie has returned a top 6 power forward in their 20's.

Am I saying that Wallstedt will never become more than that and Knies is a lock to become some GOAT player of course not. I am saying with what we have in front of us, only on HFboards could the mystery box be seriously considered over the boat.

To be honest Wild fans are prone to the same homerisms and bias every other fanbase has, I don't expect many to honestly choose almost any player over a guy they have become attached to following and believe in. But this feels like something in 3 years that is completely laughable was even discussed.

Even if Knies tops out as a 50 point LW, the style of game he plays in the modern NHL makes him one of the more valuable pieces out there. Wallstedt would need to become a top 5 goalie year in and out in the mold of Shesterkin or Vasi for there to be a conversation that wasn't laughable.

Most Wild fans that I know all agree that Knies has the potential to be a pretty good player in the future. Where his ceiling is isn't all that certain. Top 6 player, for sure. We also aren't saying that Wallstedt is the next coming of Martin Broduer, but I think you are underestimating his potential. There is a reason most scouts have him pegged as either the #1 or #2 goalie prospect in the NHL and has the potential to be a top 5 goalie. Will he achieve that? No one knows for sure.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Most Wild fans are big Gopher fans. They play just a few miles apart. Many attend both teams games frequently

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

Evergreen

The Leafs cannot afford to trade Knies because he’s really their only top-6 caliber guy that plays that hard-nosed style of game. And I think they have faith in Woll. Leafs say no.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
The Wild have Kaprizov, Boldy, Ohgren, Heidt, and potentially Yurov as left shot wingers going forward. Knies won’t be better than Kaprizov. It would take a lot for him to be better than Boldy.

I’ve got Knies’ potential as somewhere between Yurov and Ohgren. 25+25 guy that you can hope turns into 30+30.

I’ll keep Wallstedt. We desperately need him to be good.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Knies is a 2nd liner at best, Wallstedt is one of the best prospects in the world

Insane for Minnesota
Knies is the rough power forward that toronto needs so yeah trade him for more nylanders mathews marners the guys who dont go to the paint. Blues would gladly take knies off your hands

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad