Where Do You Stand on Tyler Boucher?

How do you feel about the Tyler Boucher pick?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
The issue is! Why it was a reach? It was a complete bonehead move. Not intelligent, not supported with any rational. Just stupid!

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Boucher is limited in so many areas. He can not carry a puck through a neutral zone. Can not support an OZ cycle which makes him not even a fourth line material. He can not make plays. His skating is average. His passing is average to subpar. His only forte is an ok wrister and a physical play. It is just a waste, waste, waste of a first 10th overall pick. I would love to be in a war room before the draft, just to hear those idiots, what was the rational to draft him 10th overall. Drafting a player like this in a first round, painted the whole Ottawa organization in a negative way.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I've never seen him play so I have no opinion on him.

No wait, I mean despite never seeing him play, I hate him, he sucks and I'd be surprised to see him become anything more than a fourth liner that eats a fan's puppy before each game because he's an awful person. Or is it that he's a machine that's going to become a thirty goal man that hits people literally into the 200's while banging the opponent's mom and high fiving PierreX2? I can't remember where I'm supposed to stand, HFSens! Help!
Lots of us have seen him play. He plays for the 67s

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The issue is! Why it was a reach? It was a complete bonehead move. Not intelligent, not supported with any rational. Just stupid!
It had the only required rational. The scouts thought he was the best player at 10

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Boucher is limited in so many areas. He can not carry a puck through a neutral zone. Can not support an OZ cycle which makes him not even a fourth line material. He can not make plays. His skating is average. His passing is average to subpar. His only forte is an ok wrister and a physical play. It is just a waste, waste, waste of a first 10th overall pick. I would love to be in a war room before the draft, just to hear those idiots, what was the rational to draft him 10th overall. Drafting a player like this in a first round, painted the whole Ottawa organization in a negative way.

It did not paint the "whole Ottawa organization" in a negative way; rather it raised serious questions about the amateur scouting and GM and their abilities to make optimal draft picks.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Not buying a Chris Neil comparison yet. Neil was a real natural scrapper. He was a light heavy weight in terms of NHL fighters and he took on all comers and kept the opponents honest protecting teammates. 176 fights in 15 seasons. It was a big and valuable part of what he brought and what he needed to do to play in the NHL.
As a 17 y/o he had 150 pims in the OHL
At 18 55 pts and 231 pims in 59 games Draft year
At 19 72 pts and 215 pims in 66 games
In two years in Grand Rapids IHL he had 301 and 354 Pims

Fighting is down across the board. Boucher will definitely have to answer the bell as he moves from the CHL to the AHL/NHL. We'll see if he can be that guy.
I thought somebody told Neil early in his career that if you want to make the NHL, you have to change your role and make a spot for yourself. When he was drafted my mind said he was going to be the second coming of Cam Neely. Lol.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm somewhere between 3 and 4. I'm willing to see how he does. He's still very young. AT the same time I think his skill set is merely OK.

And I think he'll probably reach his potential; I just don't think his potential ceiling is that high.

I agree. The options presented were poorly thought out.

• Haha
Reactions: OD99

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I think 10th is the spot where you are hesitant to swing for the fence, so you get some guys seen as safer picks taken there over guys with more perceived risk of busting. Had we drafted 10th in 2008, would we have still swung for the fence with Karlsson rather than say Myers or Beach who at the time seemed much safer bets to be very good players? Maybe, the scouts were really high on Karlsson afterall, but I do think it gets tougher to take a guy with those question marks in his game the high in the draft you get.
Neat. I wonder if trading the 10th pick has less value then. If it's kind of a no mans land pick, what is it really worth?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I really feel like Boucher is a guy you appreciate if you actually watch the player, so arguing with the the stat watchers can be frustrating, even though I know I am guilty of this as well.

Watching the guy, I can see why he was reached on at 10, even if it was a reach.

I have watched one game with Boucher in the 67s lineup. I was not impressed by his play. He seemed to be a bystander. That does mean much because it was only one game. Yes it was a reach and I am disappointed in the pick by the GM and scouts at this time.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
If Tyler Boucher was draft eligible this year instead of last I'd be recommending that we seriously consider taking him......if he's still available in the second round.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Yeah, I voted bust. Sure he's got some nice individual skill, but you know who he reminds me of? Kole Sherwood. Nice shot. Hits. Good skater. But not enough to put it together. We drafted Kole Sherwood 10th overall.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah, I voted bust. Sure he's got some nice individual skill, but you know who he reminds me of? Kole Sherwood. Nice shot. Hits. Good skater. But not enough to put it together. We drafted Kole Sherwood 10th overall.
No you think we drafted kole Sherwood at tenth overall based on some good traits. There are other really good players who have nice shots hit and are good skaters lol

Reactions: Alfie11

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Went to the game last night. Thought he looked pretty good.
Doesn’t carry the game and doesn’t ooze skill, but is very dangerous and confident with the puck. Seems to be in the right places often and like many have mentioned, a very physical and intimidating player. Solid shot too.

Let’s just wait and see. Should probably play another junior year where he’ll likely dominate.

Cant just have strictly skill based players on your team.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He has the ability to have the best attribute in the world: physical dominance. All he needs is competent enough puck skills(which he has definitely shown) and he can still carve out an NHL career, let alone a solid one.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I watched him live for the first time last night. It was clear that he is one of the best players on the ice and I think he is a guy who would look a lot better on a team/in a league with more skill. There were many times where he gave his DMan a clear outlet option and they just didn't see him or couldn't make the outlet pass. He handles the puck better and more confidently than most other guys on the ice and uses his frame to protect it quite well... wasn't afraid to carry it back to the top of the zone to reassess and attack. Good at getting his shot through. Good at getting open.

I didn't really see the Neil/Wilson comparisons... he forechecked really well, and went into the boards hard, but he had opportunities to absolutely crush guys in the open ice and he just let them go. I didn't mind it... its not like he was avoiding contact... he just didn't chase hits at all.

Just one game, but I was impressed. If he was drafted late 1st or mid 2nd, I feel like I'd be quite excited about him. I didn't see any real deficiencies. He looks like he can be average or better at every facet of the game. Cameron spoke to him a lot and they seem to have a good Teacher-Student relationship... Boucher looked genuinely interested in & appreciative of every conversation.

There are no elite attributes, maybe no high-end attributes, but I can see him being good at a lot of things with a unique physical element. His IQ and positioning were probably the two things that stood out to me, including his assessment of how much time & space he has with the puck. Obviously he won't score 3pts every game but it felt like he deserved them all last night.
Went to the game last night. Thought he looked pretty good.
Doesn’t carry the game and doesn’t ooze skill, but is very dangerous and confident with the puck. Seems to be in the right places often and like many have mentioned, a very physical and intimidating player. Solid shot too.

Let’s just wait and see. Should probably play another junior year where he’ll likely dominate.

Cant just have strictly skill based players on your team.
Matches up quite well with my viewing, although I didn't see much of the intimidation factor last night. Definitely finishes checks & finishes them hard, and I know he has some highlights where he absolutely blows guys up, but there were times where I thought a big hit was coming and instead he just played zone defence. Thats often the right play, so not a bad thing, just a bit different than what I'd expected.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
No you think we drafted kole Sherwood at tenth overall based on some good traits. There are other really good players who have nice shots hit and are good skaters lol

Not sure what your argument is. He's also producing at the same clip as Kole. He's the exact same size as Kole. That's my comparison right now. Obviously, a lot can change in the next couple of years, but he's trending to have the same career as Kole. Career AHL'er who gets a dozen games with our club or some others.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He has the ability to have the best attribute in the world: physical dominance. All he needs is competent enough puck skills(which he has definitely shown) and he can still carve out an NHL career, let alone a solid one.
Even with a little hyperbole I don't see him being physically dominant, he isn't big enough for that

He is certainly more than willing and that is a good trait and he does seem to hit hard but how often will that really happen? He still has to play hockey or else he is a 4th line energy guy chasing plays.

I still wonder about standing up for himself once a bigger player asks him to dance.

Hope he keeps up the offensive production and gaining confidence.

Reactions: SENStastic

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Even with a little hyperbole I don't see him being physically dominant, he isn't big enough for that

He is certainly more than willing and that is a good trait and he does seem to hit hard but how often will that really happen? He still has to play hockey or else he is a 4th line energy guy chasing plays.

I still wonder about standing up for himself once a bigger player asks him to dance.

Hope he keeps up the offensive production and gaining confidence.

I am unsure how he does it, but his hits are devastating. Even ones without big windups. Old fashion type of player. He hits the same way Forsberg used to hit who was his size too.

Reactions: OD99

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Not sure what your argument is. He's also producing at the same clip as Kole. He's the exact same size as Kole. That's my comparison right now. Obviously, a lot can change in the next couple of years, but he's trending to have the same career as Kole. Career AHL'er who gets a dozen games with our club or some others.

Counterpoint: he's actually not trending to have the same career as Kole. I will not be expanding on this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad