Where did Yzerman go wrong with the rebuild?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
It’s sweet you’re pretending like you don’t know the answer to that one.
I know it's a discussion forum, but... it was a technical tiebreaker. One less bad game, one less Debrincat pipe-ring, and they were in. If they'd gotten in, would y'all still be yelling for heads?
I think it's very disingenuous to suggest people would have been mad if they made the playoffs.

I think it's sweet also to pretend like they didn't collapse out of the playoff spot vs just miss it with a lot of consistent tough play.

They basically did the opposite of the Tigers and pulled a Minnesota Twins.

There's reason to be upset with missing the playoffs last year without calling for heads... yet. Idk if I see people calling for firings yet. Maybe the direction of the rebuild and how successful it is or will be but Idk if people are saying fire Yzerman/Lalonde. (If they are, I'm not paying attention so, maybe, my bad if they are. )

Reactions: Lampedampe

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
They likely didnt want to waive someone they gave a decent sized contract to, which is why we saw so long for holl to be waived. But okay assuming they would have done this, the point remains the same, why wasn’t a player who was good enough to be top 4D on our roster when it was most important late in the season, on our team making it better the whole year? His roster construction still sucks either option you look at.
Late season Edvinsson was a very significantly better player than training camp Edvinsson or early/mid season AHL Edvinsson. The player you saw at the end of the season was not what you would have seen had he been on the team all year. It’s easy to assume a prospect who plays good late would play at that level all season, but development isn’t like that. Reality is that it took Edvinsson about 2/3 of the season to reach the level we saw him at with Detroit.

Last edited:

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
Late season Edvinsson was a very significantly better player than training camp Edvinsson of early/mid season AHL Edvinsson. The player you saw at the end of the season was not what you would have seen had he been on the team all year. It’s easy to assume a prospect who plays good late would play at that level all season, but development isn’t like that. Reality is that it took Edvinsson about 2/3 of the season to reach the level we saw him at with Detroit.
and yet, certain posters around here still say he looked like trash in the preseason. so maybe another season in gr is appropriate?

/s

Ad

Ad

Ad