Where did Yzerman go wrong with the rebuild?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
I will never understand Copp hate. Yes he got a nice contract, which is always the case with UFA. But he spent last year centering a third line which was getting tough matchups, while centering Rasmussen, who is not exactly known for his offensive prowess and Fischer who is basically a jag. He managed more or less to break even on ES. He was never a goalscorer and and it is strange to expect him to rack up a lot of assists while playing with those partners. He also gets less PP time than known scorer Joe Veleno. He is not an issue in any kind of sense - he does his job.

Chiarot sucks - there is no argument from my side.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
No seriously - Where did the rebuild go wrong?

Because its looking pretty good to my eye.

Right defense.

Traded away Hronek at the 2023 TDL for what became ASP. After Seider there hasn't been anyone on the roster worth a damn at the position. 2023 we needed an upgrade and got Ghost. 2024 we needed an upgrade after losing Ghost and got Gustafsson. That is not very good.

Guys that were available in each of the last two free agency periods that would be upgrades on what we have:
2024:
Brandon Montour
Brett Pesce
Matt Roy
Chris Tanev (lol at his contract though)
Sean Walker

Ryan Graves
Radko Gudas
Matt Dumba
Luke Schenn

Also, if this message board knew years ago that he picked NYR because his wife got a medical residency there and didn't have any intentions of leaving before that finished, I don't know how NHL GMs didn't know it. (This was apparently the reason Trouba put the kibosh on the trade)

Reactions: PelagicJoe

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Right defense.

Traded away Hronek at the 2023 TDL for what became ASP. After Seider there hasn't been anyone on the roster worth a damn at the position. 2023 we needed an upgrade and got Ghost. 2024 we needed an upgrade after losing Ghost and got Gustafsson. That is not very good.

Guys that were available in each of the last two free agency periods that would be upgrades on what we have:
2024:
Brandon Montour
Brett Pesce
Matt Roy
Chris Tanev (lol at his contract though)
Sean Walker

Ryan Graves
Radko Gudas
Matt Dumba
Luke Schenn

Also, if this message board knew years ago that he picked NYR because his wife got a medical residency there and didn't have any intentions of leaving before that finished, I don't know how NHL GMs didn't know it. (This was apparently the reason Trouba put the kibosh on the trade)
Half of our problem is deployment by the coaching staff. There has been an unwillingness to make changes until far too much damage has already been done. They stick with shit that doesn't work far too long. And they are unwilling to try things that they haven't tried before. I don't have a lot of faith in this coaching staff getting us beyond where we are. There are teams with a worse collection of defensemen that can make things work a bit better than we have. Combinations exist that would allow ChiaPet to just be a sheltered 3rd pairing. But the staff is too chickenshit to go for it. They'd rather ride or die with Chiarot and Petry in the top 4.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
There was only one season when they were both in Nashville when Weber had more TOI/GM than Suter. So Trotz knew what was what. And as soon as Suter left he started getting way more Norris votes when voters realized surprise surprise it wasn't the Rob Blake clone doing the carrying.
They were for the most part playing together. I think Trotz knew like the rest of us except you who was the more dangerous defenseman of the two. Also his GM. You would think some of the reason is because Suter was entering his prime, thus playing better and being signed as the nr 1 guy in Minnesota.

Weber was 9 times in the top 10 of Norris votes
5 times in top 5, 4 of those times in top 3 with 2 of those being 2nd.
He was 9 times in the top 10 for All Star votes. 5 of those times in the top 5 for All Star votes.
4 times voted into the All Star teams, 2 in the 1st team, 2 in the 2nd team.
Weber earned $4.5M per season on his second contract with Nashville.
Weber earned $7.5M per season on his third contract with Nashville (while Suter made $3.5M, that being said it was through arbitration award, but still agreed to which NSH was pretty stingy then with contract amounts as they offered $4.75M and Weber demanded $8.5M, he became the highest paid D-man in the league at the time as well given he was 2nd in Norris votes that year).
Weber earned $7.8M per season on his 4th and long term contract with Nashville (Which was an offer sheet by Philadelphia that was signed).
Weber still have that contract for two more seasons at that amount.
And we could add he won basically everything he could win besides the Stanley Cup.
U20 World Championship, World Championship, 2x Olympics (and on Olympics All Star team and WC All Star team)
2 x WHL Champion and Memorial Cup Champion.

Suter was 6 times in the top 10 of Norris votes
3 times in the top 5, of which 1 was a podium finish of 2nd.
He was 7 times in the top 10 for All Star votes. 3 of those times in the top 5 for All Star votes
1 time voted into the All Star teams, with the 1 time in the 1st team.
Suter earned $3.5M on his second contract with Nashville.
Suter had to go to the open market to get $7.5M and left Nashville (That being said they didn't get the chance to match, idk given the cap and contract situations at the time they would, there is no indications they would offered him the same contract as they reported to have offered $7M x 13 as they finally understood they had to pay beyond trying to make money of budget restrictions).
Suter was bought out of that contract with Minnesota and then bought out of his contract this summer with Dallas and earning minimum wage this year.
Suter has won U18 and U20 World Championships and a silver at the World Championships.

Just to add to it, NSH was spending little on purpose as they were a budget team who were trying to my understanding stay below the middle between cap ceiling and cap floor.
One thing we have to understand is that GMs have to answer to an owner and their fan base.

Sure you could run a team like a video game and sign no middling guys, rank for the top pick every year and then sign all the top FAs.

Reality is you have to compete enough to drive ticket sales, show enough that you get to see the end of the rebuild, and keep improving.

The only teams making huge jumps have lottery luck go their way.

Many of us don't like the Copp, Husso, Holl, etc signings, but none of them lie in a potential cup window. They are buying time, grooming the young guys, and keeping this team competitive.
Finally someone who gets it.
They have to some degree sign players not only to reach the cap floor and stay above that, but to have reasonably competitive players. Copp has performed a bit below par, we all expected more of him (or some expected not so much but states he is overpaid by much) as he was always going to be overpaid in some way, but would be nice if he performed closed to earning the cap hit amount.
2024 we needed an upgrade after losing Ghost and got Gustafsson. That is not very good.
Idk, advanced stats have him as the 2nd best line/pair in hockey with Fox.
Put him with Seider and see how it goes, think the signing is decent and could be underrated.

NHL Lines Advanced Stats

Combinations exist that would allow ChiaPet to just be a sheltered 3rd pairing. But the staff is too chickenshit to go for it. They'd rather ride or die with Chiarot and Petry in the top 4.
Think it goes a bit to what Scottgaf1 mentions, Chiarot got a sizeable contract and thus is expected to be in the top 4 and of course everyone expected him to perform better than he has. Of individual contracts that might be the most underperforming one so far, and he would always be a little overpaid in the first place. I do agree that given the situation, unless he picks up Yzerman could do what he need to get him off the roster in some way if others perform, or even play him sheltered. Though playing a "higher paid" player sheltered minutes doesn't always go well with of course the players and sometimes the teammates depending on his status in the dressing room.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Rebuild went off tracks when he signed a bunch of players to get out of the Bedard race but wouldn't go after any name significant enough to play on the 1st line or build around.

Every year he's just bringing in "guys", outside of DeBrincat, who imo fell into his lap, Open market trade Yzerman doesn't pay up.

Ducks will make the playoffs before the Red Wings do. Sad. Red Wings need a big move to alter things imo.

This was two days into FA... Lol.

More simply I'm not impressed with his offseason, or last TDL. Even right now, I know, or "Feel", like the Red Wings need more top talent to compete seriously with teams like the NYR/TOR/FLA/BOS. Wings just don't have those top, elite type scorers that can carry games. Maybe Raymond turns into one of those guys but I'm not expecting him to match the play of some of the best players in hockey like others are around here. Larkin can certainly drive the play but it's easy to defend one fella.

Going forward, I'm not seeing a guy like that in our system either, or the ability to draft high and get another one. ( I really want to be wrong )

Is Yzerman going wrong... Idk yet, it's not how I'd move, but he's for sure moving extremely slow and basically putting most his chips into draft/development, which takes time to figure out what you have, and also doesn't guarantee you'll be good or even draft good players. It does give him personally a lot of time and everyone around him has a long leash.

Till it happens, I'll be the guy dreaming of trading for what's perceived as the best player available. (Draisaitl,Kaprizov,etc.) I don't think it'll happen soon, if a trade like that takes place it almost certainly puts the clock on Yzerman's Stanely cup window. I don't think him, or the organization even want the pressure yet.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
More simply I'm not impressed with his offseason, or last TDL. Even right now, I know, or "Feel", like the Red Wings need more top talent to compete seriously with teams like the NYR/TOR/FLA/BOS. Wings just don't have those top, elite type scorers that can carry games. Maybe Raymond turns into one of those guys but I'm not expecting him to match the play of some of the best players in hockey like others are around here. Larkin can certainly drive the play but it's easy to defend one fella.

Going forward, I'm not seeing a guy like that in our system either, or the ability to draft high and get another one. ( I really want to be wrong )
How do you explain the success of Carolina?

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Half of our problem is deployment by the coaching staff. There has been an unwillingness to make changes until far too much damage has already been done. They stick with shit that doesn't work far too long. And they are unwilling to try things that they haven't tried before. I don't have a lot of faith in this coaching staff getting us beyond where we are. There are teams with a worse collection of defensemen that can make things work a bit better than we have. Combinations exist that would allow ChiaPet to just be a sheltered 3rd pairing. But the staff is too chickenshit to go for it. They'd rather ride or die with Chiarot and Petry in the top 4.
I agree with this. Babcock was really bad about this, and so was Blashill to a lesser extent.
Bowman mixed it up all the time. It doesn't hurt to do that sometimes.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If your mean the current iteration, I don't know how successful they are. They've been swept in the conference finals twice and otherwise been a first/second round exit.

Have they been a better team than the typical, "sneak into the playoffs and anything can happen" bubble team? Yes. But we'll see how they handle losing Skjei and Pesce on defense. I'm not sure that their best days aren't behind them.

To be fair, the level of success they did reach is a much more realistic outcome for a rebuild than winning multiple championships. But I'm not holding them up as a template either.

Reactions: Snuggs and Henkka

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'd like a source on that, preferably a team that isn't carried by top ~10 goaltending or superstar forwards.
The Wings were 26th in the league for fewest shots allowed. Goaltending doesn't even factor in. We don't have the 26th worst collection of skaters. Our defensive structure/strategy/deployment is awful.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

They have better overall depth than the Red Wings, including defense, which is way over-looked on our team. Like they've had defenders just as good or better than Seider in prior years playing 2nd pair time. They also add guys like Guentzel, Domi, etc, at TDL's to help them.

They'll likely take a step back now with certain guys leaving for more money and still having goaltending questions.

I'd take the run they've had honestly, there was always a chance they could have pulled it together, I think they lost in the conference finals to Florida last year so, they were knocking on the door. I consider them more of an exception than the rule though, but for your arguments sake they're a very good example. Maybe Minnesota/Nashville fit the profile too in prior years, but they too aren't/didn't win anything.

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
The guy mentioned Toronto so I assumed he was not talking about playoff success.
I think walking into a season and knowing you'll make the playoff without major injury's is considered successful. Imo, Maple Leafs are a victim of their own success. They've built the expectation to win or bust now. What Carolina has done the past six years, made the playoffs and won a round at the least, is imo, successful. It's not the goal by any means but it'd be tough to say you didn't do good when only a handful of teams did better. Idk if they were favorites to ever win but they weren't a *token* playoff team either.

I think it's weird we're talking about teams that make the playoffs consistently and pondering 'their' success when Yzerman/Red Wings never have made the playoffs yet and we're saying he's already looking good and still right on track. When two seasons in a row we've watched nose-dives to miss the playoffs.

No one's gonna bash what Yzerman just did with Seider/Raymond. They're great deals, good for anyone's rebuild but the roster still, imo, needs more talent. Jury, imo, still way out there on guys he's drafted like Danielson/Kasper/Cossa/, etc, and imo, the rebuild is hinging on those guys being good/great which only time will be able to show me.

Last edited:

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Rebuilds take a ridiculous amount of time when you don't get a superstar center through the draft. It is incredibly hard to land one of those without being top 3.

Trying to rebuild without one means you have top do so via defense and goaltending. Those positions typically take longer to develop and hit their primes. Your offense is built around two way players, and you draft the guys that can score gritty goals. The positive is that those guys typically cost less and thus you have a bit more depth than say Toronto. Realistically you are probably looking at a team that will never be competing for presidents trophies. I do think we'll be the team that everyone does not want to get matched up against once we get there.

This is not to say Yzerman gets a total pass from me.

Copp & Compher (1 or the other) and Holl were bad deals for this team. Picking up Petry after signing Holl made that deal worse.

Not finding a semi decent goalie since Benny has been a major failing too. Its massively demoralizing to young guys when your goalies consistently give up back breaking goals.

I didn't like hanging onto Blash as long as they did and I'm not a huge Lalonde fan. I think a better coach potentially has us in the playoffs las year. Lalonde hasn't been able to get this team to play consistently from a structural stand point since he came in. I can't see a big difference between a Blash and Lalonde coached team outside of Lalonde having a lot more talent to work with. This should be a make it or break it year for Lalonde. Lalonde doesn't seem like a great motivator and I think young teams need that more than older teams.

I do feel not addressing the 2RD position may also end up being a major failing this year but I hope I am wrong. Expecting Ed to carry a pair may be too much. 90% of young dmen cannot do what Seider did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad