Where did Yzerman go wrong with the rebuild?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Call me a homer, but I think Yzerman has been playing 3D chess. He GMs like he played hockey, he was always 3 steps ahead of the play. DMAC has been saying the same thing if you listen to him.

Yzerman isn't transparent and keeps everyone on their toes, including the fans. I am fine with that!

- Yman is trying to balance drafting decent positions; 6th, 4th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 15th (MBN), and ice a team that appears to be on the upswing. (look at the jump from 2019 to 2024)

- Trying to inject FA depth to both help not win enough to draft after 15th, but also give Larkin and core a carrot to "try" to make the playoffs. To seem somewhat competitive. Guys will bail if they think Detroit is a sinking ship.

- Helps hold back Sieder, ED and Raymond's production so he can negotiate a slightly better contract.

The proof to my speculation is look at the contract terms. I do think Yzerman probably expected a wee-bit more out of Copp, and Holl was a swing and a miss. While Holl was a failure, Copp is an [overpaid] serviceable 3rd line center who plays responsibly. Kasper will take his job in a season or two.

I like Husso, but you can't predict injuries. Lyon was a brilliant signing.

So I agree that some Yzerman moves have been an undesirable gamble. But not one move hurt the team long term. I would argue it has played out nicely long term; see all the recent core contracts.

I don't expect to make the playoffs this season, but I do think it is going to be an exciting year in the east with Sabres, Ott, Devils, Caps, etc. I don't expect Yzerman to have his team until Cossa or Augustine to graduate and become the top horse. Once one goalie becomes that, then I think you'll see an aggressive 'win now' Yzerman. If both bomb, then who knows... let's be optimistic and hopeful.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
My opinion is that A- he's made a decent amount of questionable moves the last 2 years; B; none of those moves were catastrophic long term mistakes and C- he's set the team up extremely well for the next 3-5 years by locking up Ray/Mo to very reasonable deals and has a lot of cap coming off and a lot of young guys set to come up.

I'm very optimistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad