When will Bouchard be considered elite?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Any stat that says Bouchard is better than Draisaitl, or a more important player to the Oilers is complete garbage. Too many people siting flawed advanced stats to drive a narrative.
For these playoffs, I could see it. Through a full 60, Bouchard has been making a higher volume of impactful plays/passes/shots than Drai.

Reactions: Macheteops

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Any stat that says Bouchard is better than Draisaitl, or a more important player to the Oilers is complete garbage.
Why would anyone compare Bouchard and Drai? Compare apples to apples.
Too many people siting flawed advanced stats to drive a narrative.
Very true.

Why do people get upset about these kind of threads?

Bouchard has been GREAT and he's on the verge of a Cup appearance. What posters who never see him play think matters not one bit.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Any stat that says Bouchard is better than Draisaitl, or a more important player to the Oilers is complete garbage. Too many people siting flawed advanced stats to drive a narrative.
Oh? And why is that? Is it because:

1. It's empirically been proven to be less effective than another stat
or
2. It goes against your confirmation bias.

If it's #1, please give me the model I should be using and how well it's performed. Otherwise, I'll assume #2 which makes your opinion worthless.

Why would anyone compare Bouchard and Drai? Compare apples to apples.
Yeah, wonder why players who play on the same team would ever get compared. Hey, I guess all players are just incomparable between one another and the outcome of games is completely random.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I can promise you that number is going to get destroyed in the WCF, Dallas might be the deepest team in the league. Going to be a nightmare trying to line match from Edmontons perspective, expecting this to be over in 5.

How did that promise go? Bouchard was 8-3 5v5 with an xGF% of over 62%.

It's okay to admit that he's pretty good.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Oh? And why is that? Is it because:

1. It's empirically been proven to be less effective than another stat
or
2. It goes against your confirmation bias.

If it's #1, please give me the model I should be using and how well it's performed. Otherwise, I'll assume #2 which makes your opinion worthless.
You're talking to a guy who thinks Bouchard has too many 2nd assists (as a D-man!) to be considered anything more than a "product of McDrai".

Basically he's the kind of poster who thinks he's disproved an argument presenting evidence merely by saying that evidence is meaningless and case closed.

You can't win with people like that. Nor can you lose, on the other hand, because there is no actual argument to be had.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
you think he's top 5 for real? I'd put Forsling in there before Bouchard

I know you guys made a nice run and everything but there's more to the position than a nice clapper and being with 97 and 29 fellas

I'd rather have Devon Toews, Forsling, Hamilton, and Slavin and those guys aren't top 5.
None of those D-men would help Edmonton win the way Bouchard IS, but good to know how some folks evaluate talent 😖

Forget the advanced stats: Guy is 3rd in NHL Playoff scoring after 3 rounds with 27 Points in 18 GP, +11 points over the next highest D (Heiskanen). Those are all VERY meaningful points.

Bouchard now sits #5 all time in Most Points, Defenseman, Playoff Year. With +4-7 games it's easy to see him crack the Top 3 All Time here.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Lisan Al-Gaib
1717423165970.png

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Bouchard hype getting a little out of control imo. He's not a better overall player than Heiskanen.

Last night he makes a soft play on the Stars goal, and fumbled the puck on the play Hintz rang one off the pipe. He's certainly playing great hockey in these playoffs, but you have to admit he's in the absolutely perfect position for his offensive skillset & still makes defensive errors on the regular. Its been a great breakout for him but not sure I'd say he's a top 10 Dman just yet.

Last edited:

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
He’s a better John Carlson, and Carlson was pretty damn good.

Yeah, that's nothing to sneeze at. He's definitely opened my eyes last month, he's better than I've given him credit for. I don't consider him "top echelon" material, but that's still a very very good player.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Bouchard hype getting a little out of control imo. He's not a better overall player than Heiskanen.

Last night he makes a soft play on the Stars goal, and fumbled the puck on the play Hintz range one off the pipe. He's certainly playing great hockey in these playoffs, but you have to admit he's in the absolutely perfect position for his offensive skillset & still makes defensive errors on the regular. Its been a great breakout for him but not sure I'd say he's a top 10 Dman just yet.
Heiskanen got posterized on McDavid's goal. Every defenceman screws up here and there.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Here's a couple 5on5 numbers:

McDavid xGF% with 0.55 without 0.44
Draisaitl xGF% with 0.52 without 0.46
Ekholm xGF% with 0.56 withou 0.44

Bouchard xGF% with 0.6 without 0.4

Makar xGF% with 0.56 without 0.54
Heiskanen xGF% with 0.52 without 0.55
Fox xGF% with 0.47 without 0.42
Montour xGF% with 0.55 without 0.53
Forsling xGF% with 0.52 without 0.55
Hughes xGF% with 0.6 without 0.45

In short, Bouchard with 0.20 has by far the strongest xGF% impact in 5on5 play out of everyone in the entire playoffs, at least of the ones who have played more than a couple of games and who play in significant roles, forward or defenseman.

The second-strongest impact is actually for Alexis Lafreniere with 0.16(0.52 with 0.36 without).

Reactions: Nadal On Clay

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Here's a couple 5on5 numbers:

McDavid xGF% with 0.55 without 0.44
Draisaitl xGF% with 0.52 without 0.46
Ekholm xGF% with 0.56 withou 0.44

Bouchard xGF% with 0.6 without 0.4

Makar xGF% with 0.56 without 0.54
Heiskanen xGF% with 0.52 without 0.55
Fox xGF% with 0.47 without 0.42
Montour xGF% with 0.55 without 0.53
Forsling xGF% with 0.52 without 0.55
Hughes xGF% with 0.6 without 0.45

In short, Bouchard with 0.20 has by far the strongest xGF% impact in 5on5 play out of everyone in the entire playoffs, at least of the ones who have played more than a couple of games and who play in significant roles, forward or defenseman.

The second-strongest impact is actually for Alexis Lafreniere with 0.16(0.52 with 0.36 without).
People somehow still will claim he’s a product of McDrai even though there’s clear evidence to deny it. :laugh:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Heiskanen got posterized on McDavid's goal. Every defenceman screws up here and there.
Just you wait until

next season
a full 82 games
playoffs
Vancouver
Dallas

FLORIDA then Bouchard will be exposed as the fraud he is amirite

Bouchard isn't a fraud I just don't think he's a top 10 defenseman overall. He's been very good this season & is one of the best OFD in the league.

Yes Heiskanen got danced but its also by McDavid. Your right all defenseman mess up, but I think Bouchard tends to lack intensity in his own end & it leads to mistakes.

If the NHL did a fantasy draft tomorrow I'd bet Heiskanen goes ahead of Bouchard

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Bouchard isn't a fraud I just don't think he's a top 10 defenseman overall. He's been very good this season & is one of the best OFD in the league.

Yes Heiskanen got danced but its also by McDavid. Your right all defenseman mess up, but I think Bouchard tends to lack intensity in his own end & it leads to mistakes.

If the NHL did a fantasy draft tomorrow I'd bet Heiskanen goes ahead of Bouchard
Not if you’re valuing production, you’re not. Heiskanen is very good, but Bouchard literally outproduces him 2 to 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad