When will Bouchard be considered elite?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Bouchard is going to make bank on his next contract.

And while Bouchard benefits from all the space he gets playing with McDrai, it still takes talent to play with them. Not sure how you can't consider him elite at this point. I'd still take other defensemen over Bouch, but he's quickly moving up the ranks.

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser

And while Bouchard benefits from all the space he gets playing with McDrai, it still takes talent to play with them. Not sure how you can't consider him elite at this point. I'd still take other defensemen over Bouch, but he's quickly moving up the ranks.
As a Canucks fan, I have to admit I think this performance has put him in the Makar/Hughes/Fox tier.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013

This is a very sensible assessment.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
One of those players that had a tantalizing offensive skillset for which he was drafted for, and then they prayed his defense and speed caught up. Sometimes those defensemen are cast too fast into rebuilding franchises and suffer developmental consequences

I think the environment of not directly having to rely on a player like him for results (McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins) and then adding the perfect partner to learn from in Ekholm, has totally maximized his potential. Here we're seeing it on the biggest stage one win away from the finals

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
As a Canucks fan, I have to admit I think this performance has put him in the Makar/Hughes/Fox tier.
I think he's a step below those 3 forsure, but in the 2nd tier right below.

He doesn't control the game like Hughes or Makar does.

But if he keeps progressing he can be in that convo

Reactions: Macheteops

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
One of those players that had a tantalizing offensive skillset for which he was drafted for, and then they prayed his defense and speed caught up. Sometimes those defensemen are cast too fast into rebuilding franchises and suffer developmental consequences

I think the environment of not directly having to rely on a player like him for results (McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins) and then adding the perfect partner to learn from in Ekholm, has totally maximized his potential. Here we're seeing it on the biggest stage one win away from the finals
His development was also a slow burn. Which is a theme with the Oilers and defenceman now, they know they all need time and aren’t rushed. He was brought up slowly, not asked to be the offensive dynamo they drafted, but asked to focus on areas of weakness in his game including his foot speed, battle level, strength, intensity, and defensive positioning. Tyson Barrie was brought in so he could continue to focus on those parts of his game and not just be thrust into a PP1 role where he likely would have produced but it would have been at the expense of his focus on his deficiencies coming out of the draft. A nearly perfect development path for this prospect now turned superstar.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
can't wait till both Drai and Bouchard are up for new contracts and Nurse's AAV stares at them. Bouchard's agent is going to have a field day with Nurse's AAV :laugh:

you are spoilt because Avs got Makar :laugh:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
can't wait till both Drai and Bouchard are up for new contracts and Nurse's AAV stares at them. Bouchard's agent is going to have a field day with Nurse's AAV :laugh:
Then he’ll get a reality check when he sees Hughes and Makar’s AAV. Agents would compare to comps with similar contract statuses, that is signed in RFA status. They aren’t going to use Nurse as the comp who signed team friendly bridge after bridge and was owed a bit more as a UFA.

Only a leaf’s fan would think that contracts are compared only within the team the players play for. Just cause Money Mitch demanded to be paid like Greed Pig Matthews doesn’t mean it happens everywhere.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Thankfully Salt Lake is approaching. Nurse could very well be headed there

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Then he’ll get a reality check when he sees Hughes and Makar’s AAV. Agents would compare to comps with similar contract statuses, that is signed in RFA status. They aren’t going to use Nurse as the comp who signed team friendly bridge after bridge and was owed a bit more as a UFA.

Only a leaf’s fan would think that contracts are compared only within the team the players play for. Just cause Money Mitch demanded to be paid like Greed Pig Matthews doesn’t mean it happens everywhere.
Makar and Hughes signed their deals when the cap was lower, and arguably both had their equivalent breakouts after signing their deals.

Bouch will be looking for 10+. We'll see if the Oilers push for the next deal to be signed already this summer like they'll try to do it with Drai or if Bouch bets on himself and wants to wait until next summer.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Makar and Hughes both signed theirs at the end of their ELCs.

Edmonton had the opportunity to get Bouchard for a 6-7 yr x 6-8 mil AAV. They chose to bridge and arguably low-balled him after having 2 40+ point seasons and coming off 17 pts in 12 games postseason.

Bouchard's next deal will eat up 2 RFA years and the remaining are UFA years. We'll see how much of a discount Bouchard wants to give the Oilers, but I'm guessing after taking a cheap bridge he isn't feeling like he owes Edmonton any favors.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta

Luckily the cap is going up nearly 10M dollars in the next two years and they will likely get about 10M in raises

he's a solid top 50 defenseman

a new school Andrei Markov
You added an extra 0

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I'm not sure there's a defenseman in the league I would prefer over bouchard. He's scoring goals at a ridiculous rate *in the playoffs*. Big part of that win over Vancouver. Just make sure you stick him with someone elite like eckholm for protection.

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
Luckily the cap is going up nearly 10M dollars in the next two years and they will likely get about 10M in raises

You added an extra 0
you think he's top 5 for real? I'd put Forsling in there before Bouchard

I know you guys made a nice run and everything but there's more to the position than a nice clapper and being with 97 and 29 fellas

I'd rather have Devon Toews, Forsling, Hamilton, and Slavin and those guys aren't top 5.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Makar and Hughes signed their deals when the cap was lower, and arguably both had their equivalent breakouts after signing their deals.

Bouch will be looking for 10+. We'll see if the Oilers push for the next deal to be signed already this summer like they'll try to do it with Drai or if Bouch bets on himself and wants to wait until next summer.
Well yeh. That’s always a consideration. I’m just saying the comp for Bouchard isn’t Nurse. I hope the Oilers treat the Big 3 like a package deal and some sensible amount can be reached where all can be retained.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Makar and Hughes both signed theirs at the end of their ELCs.

Edmonton had the opportunity to get Bouchard for a 6-7 yr x 6-8 mil AAV. They chose to bridge and arguably low-balled him after having 2 40+ point seasons and coming off 17 pts in 12 games postseason.

Bouchard's next deal will eat up 2 RFA years and the remaining are UFA years. We'll see how much of a discount Bouchard wants to give the Oilers, but I'm guessing after taking a cheap bridge he isn't feeling like he owes Edmonton any favors.
True. Regardless the point I was making was that he’d not be compare to Nurse, he would be compared to similar comps. Not exactly similar but close in terms of player quality and age. They will adjust for the ELC and time differences between the deals and come out with a comp.

I looked at the Comps during the Bouchard resigning. For a bridge it was a very much in line with the market that year with still questions remaining about how good he could be defensively which he’s now answered. Wasn’t a low ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad