When will Bouchard be considered elite?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Basically posted four knocks on Edmonton and ended with "don't mean as a knock on EDM"... :laugh:

giphy.gif

I meant the 'EDM staying healthy' part. But I also don't fault them for beating whats infront of them? :huh:

Dallas facing 2 tough opponents & being a bit more worn down is just a fact. It doesn't mean Edmonton couldn't have beat them straight up or that they need to apologize. The west was wide open this year with plenty of contenders & EDM seized the moment.

I'm sure the 2012 Kings will never apologize or turn in their rings due to a relatively easy road to the cup.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I meant the 'EDM staying healthy' part. But I also don't fault them for beating whats infront of them? :huh:

Dallas facing 2 tough opponents & being a bit more worn down is just a fact. It doesn't mean Edmonton couldn't have beat them straight up or that they need to apologize. The west was wide open this year with plenty of contenders & EDM seized the moment.

I'm sure the 2012 Kings will never apologize or turn in their rings due to a relatively easy road to the cup.

Why is Vegas and Colorado so much tougher than LA and Vancouver? Vegas was riddled with injured players, had an awful season, and made the playoffs as the last team in the west. Avs had one productive line and lost their best goal scorer. Last year they lost to the Kraken and this year most players other than MacKinnon underperformed, especially defensively. Unless you sweep your opponent 4-0 by jogging past them, it's not an "easy" matchup.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Why is Vegas and Colorado so much tougher than LA and Vancouver? Vegas was riddled with injured players, had an awful season, and made the playoffs as the last team in the west. Avs had one productive line and lost their best goal scorer. Last year they lost to the Kraken and this year most players other than MacKinnon underperformed, especially defensively. Unless you sweep your opponent 4-0 by jogging past them, it's not an "easy" matchup.

As I said I think the West was pretty wide open this year, there were a number of capable teams but not 1 or 2 teams clearly above the others like previous years.

Vegas didn't have their whole team most the year as we know with the cap shenanigans they pulled (once again) at the end. Colorado doesn't have the depth of their cup team but are still very good. Vancouver was a good team all year, LA is still a good team but I think the weak link of the 4 - particularly with how they played in the series. I think EDM was moving on either way but LA didn't put up the fight I was expecting (and I predicted EDM in 5).

Coming into the playoffs I had: Dallas, Colorado, Winnipeg, Vegas, Edmonton, Vancouver all as teams in the West legitimately capable of going to the final. There's rarely easy series in the playoffs but sometimes more preferable roads.

Dallas went through 2, Edmonton 1. And to be fair to you, if Vancouver wins game 7 its the same thing on our end, so...

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
As I said I think the West was pretty wide open this year, there were a number of capable teams but not 1 or 2 teams clearly above the others like previous years.

Vegas didn't have their whole team most the year as we know with the cap shenanigans they pulled (once again) at the end. Colorado doesn't have the depth of their cup team but are still very good. Vancouver was a good team all year, LA is still a good team but I think the weak link of the 4 - particularly with how they played in the series. I think EDM was moving on either way but LA didn't put up the fight I was expecting (and I predicted EDM in 5).

Coming into the playoffs I had: Dallas, Colorado, Winnipeg, Vegas, Edmonton, Vancouver all as teams in the West legitimately capable of going to the final. There's rarely easy series in the playoffs but sometimes more preferable roads.

Dallas went through 2, Edmonton 1. And to be fair to you, if Vancouver wins game 7 its the same thing on our end, so...
The west, both conferences really, have been wide open most years in the Salary Cap era. The lone exception in recent years was the 2022 Avalanche who were a machine and arguably one of the best teams of all time.
Other than that, there's been some really good teams but there aren't any real dominant teams anymore.

With that said, Dallas did have the tougher road.
Why is this being discussed in a Bouchard thread?

Bouchard is elite btw, this playoffs is just confirming that because all the eyeballs are on him right now. Elite can mean top 10 Dman and I'd have a hard time listing 10 Dmen that have had a better season/playoffs than Bouchard. The only argument against that is that it's a relatively small sample size of success that he'll have to repeat in future seasons but, right now? Elite.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Because that's what the narrative says. the "juggernaut" knights were obviously better coming in to the playoffs as the last wildcard team than the Oilers who were the best team in the NHL for the last 6 months....

Certain fans of certain teams cannot and will not give Edmonton any credit whatsoever and have to diminish everything thing the Oilers do to keep their sanity.

In a way I can't blame those fans, if I'm being honest with myself, if the Leafs, Canucks or Flames were in the Oilers position, I'm sure I'd be finding every reason, real or imagined, to shit all over their accomplishments as well. Part of being a die-hard fan I guess.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Bouchard moves the puck well, seems to have good hockey IQ. As long as he doesn't panic, he'll be fine

I'd be wary of stretch passes vs the forecheck. One area I think Edmonton excels in vs Fla is team speed

That said, I think Maurice will adjust accordingly

Great contrast in styles this series. Gonna be fun!
I don't even think Bouchard knows how to panic, sometimes his calmness basically 24/7 works against him.

Reactions: Mike C

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I don't even think Bouchard knows how to panic, sometimes his calmness basically 24/7 works against him.
Fair point. Hopefully the moment won't be too big for him. Although I think Fla will win, I really like watching the kid play. I also am big fan of Hyman and Henrique. I've watched pretty much every minute of every playoff game with my 15 year old kid. In his words "I wouldn't be sad if Edmonton won"

Reactions: GOilers88

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
Thanks for reminding me that this thread was here!

If that was the standard for closing a thread, this forum would be dead. Great contribution, you.
I am, but you're also yelling about closing a thread that had already more or less died
I wasn't yelling lol I was merely asking when a thread about a guy who's barely a top 4 dman and all he's done is leach off of Mcdavid and Drai would be closed

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I wasn't yelling lol I was merely asking when a thread about a guy who's barely a top 4 dman and all he's done is leach off of Mcdavid and Drai would be closed
Or better yet, they could remove you from the thread and people wanting to talk about this D man could keep doing so.

Hes better than any D on Ottawa btw, and its not really that close.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Over the last 3 years the Oilers are second in playoff games won with 26 behind only Florida with 29. The previous two years they lost to the cup champs in respectively the third and second rounds. In 2022 they were swept by a juggernaut that was never going to stay together due to the cap. Last year they gave Vegas a very good run. Flip goalies and that series very likely turns out differently. The team they have this year is significantly stronger than the 2022 team, and with the ascension of Bouchard better than the 2023 team. So it is not some surprise that they made it out of the West.

Florida will be a tough opponent for sure. But again it should not surprise anyone if either team comes out ahead in the end. They have both taken fairly similar paths to get here. If the Oilers do win there is a pretty decent chance that Bouchard is a major factor in that victory.

Reactions: jj cale

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ah I see you’re challenged, very good, explains all the confusion.

Or better yet, they could remove you from the thread and people wanting to talk about this D man could keep doing so.

Hes better than any D on Ottawa btw, and it’s not really that close.
Bouchard makes Thomas Chabot look like Marc Andre Bergeron :laugh:

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
He is 100% elite.

His showing this playoffs has him above Quinn Hughes now. Under Makar.

He schooled Quinn and has been a savage his past two playoff runs, when the games matter. That's after a great regular reason

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
He is 100% elite.

His showing this playoffs has him above Quinn Hughes now. Under Makar.

He schooled Quinn and has been a savage his past two playoff runs, when the games matter. That's after a great regular reason
I'm a massive Oilers/Bouch fan, but Hughes is still ahead of him.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
I'm a massive Oilers/Bouch fan, but Hughes is still ahead of him.
I have to see what Hughes does next playoffs. What was the gap between him and Hughes in the regular season? Not a lot

Playoffs Bouchard is like under Orr for ppg. Bouchard is ahead and he's not as soft and bigger

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
puckpedia.com
he's been ELITE, the only people that have hated on Bouchard and still hate on him are those that just want to rag on Edmonton. I had him in fantasy all year long and the guy is a f***ing monster defenseman. And he gulps minutes down like it's nothing, he's a true #1 D you can rely on imo

• Love
Reactions: Coffey

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
So, if he leeches off of McDavid and Drai consistently, then he will be elite?

Just trying to follow your logic here.

Thank god this thread stayed open, lest we lose out your amazing insight.

• Haha
Reactions: UpHere
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad