What's Your Most Controversial Hockey Opinion?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Agreed but I wouldn't use the same language :laugh:

Hockey survived just fine for 100 years without advanced stats. They aren't needed in the sport. Guys get paid based on their play and how much they score, not their G/60 or whatever. You're just making things more complicated with all these random stats.

Plus you get posters here that use them in a bad way. I.E. there was one guy who made up an advanced stat to try and make John Carlson seem like an average player :facepalm:
Mankind survived 200,000 years without a polio vaccine and yet here I am, safely reading this post.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The general opinion that shootouts/3v3 is bad and we should have ties instead is criminally insane. Ties suck. Soccer sucks.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The current # of games suspended for headshots is way too low. It should be drastically increased (5-->10-->25-->full season-->permanent ban from the league)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Controlled but aggressive violence in hockey is a good thing, and fans genuinely want to see it.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
That's not what it is, that's just what people mistakenly do with it.

That doesn't mean smart GM's shouldn't look at per 60 rates to find bargains or potential overpayments.

In the specific instances of GMs using it to evaluate which players could potentially slot higher up in the lineup or be a useful call up/acquisition sure.

But on HF it’s used almost exclusively as a means for player evaluation or comparing two players, with G/60 or P/60 being the only metric. It’s a misuse for sure, like you say, but within the context of HF Boards that’s mostly how it’s used.

terry01

Mar 15, 2018
Fighting and fighters do not deter anything.
Agree
o.png

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
In the specific instances of GMs using it to evaluate which players could potentially slot higher up in the lineup or be a useful call up/acquisition sure.

But on HF it’s used almost exclusively as a means for player evaluation or comparing two players, with G/60 or P/60 being the only metric. It’s a misuse for sure, like you say, but within the context of HF Boards that’s mostly how it’s used.
In 2015/2016 when it first became a thing and the advanced stats community was admittedly more insufferable, this was certainly the case.

I honestly think it's gotten a lot better and we have a lot of people yelling at clouds at this point.

Reactions: IDJOTBOY

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Older generational talents like Gretzky and Orr are incredibly overrated. Today's game is bigger, faster, stronger, and more skilled than ever before. Gretzky may have been the most dominant player ever to play, but McDavid and Crosby are the 2 best hockey players of all time considering their speed, skill, and IQ. If you put McDavid in a time machine and send him to Gretzky's era, he would probably go coast to coast 8 times a game despite the clutching and grabbing that use to take place. Towards the end of Gretzky's era is when the fundamentals of goaltending really even became established. That's why most of his highlights consist of goaltenders 5 feet out of their net, biting on his terrible fake shots, and way out of position when he scores. That would never work on any goaltender today. And nowadays, you can't get away with just having a high IQ like Gretzky. You need the skating and skill (stick handling, shooting, etc) to go along with it.

:laugh::help: Can I have some of whatever you’re on?

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
If you are going to have challenges for offsides, do what the NFL used to do and limit reviews to 90 seconds. If it takes longer than that, it's too close to call and couldn't have had that big of an effect on the play.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
The general opinion that shootouts/3v3 is bad and we should have ties instead is criminally insane. Ties suck. Soccer sucks.

The impact of 3 pt games, sucks so much more than a lack of gratification on a night here or there.

It subtracts from the sport on a nightly basis, and has had far reaching consequences.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The impact of 3 pt games, sucks so much more than a lack of gratification on a night here or there.

It subtracts from the sport on a nightly basis, and has had far reaching consequences.

I said this in the other thread about standings, but these 3pt systems don’t account for the fact that teams are not currently playing for 3pt regulation wins. The mentality going into games, and specifically the end of a close 3rd period would be much different under a new point system.

Even if you ignore that, the results are almost never different outside of a #7 or 8 seed here and there.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Players should be able to fight refs.

No more composite hockey sticks. Just ones made of steel.

Also everyone else's opinion sucks.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I said this in the other thread about standings, but these 3pt systems don’t account for the fact that teams are not currently playing for 3pt regulation wins. The mentality going into games, and specifically the end of a close 3rd period would be much different under a new point system.

Even if you ignore that, the results are almost never different outside of a #7 or 8 seed here and there.

Results don't account for the change in tactics, philosophy and play style that we have to suffer through as observers/fans.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Players should be able to fight refs.

No more composite hockey sticks. Just ones made of steel.

Also everyone else's opinion sucks.
Good ol wooden sticks. Al Mac could shoot over 100mph with one, why can't the new athlete?

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
You're talking to someone who has 1128 NHL games under their belt. :P
But anyway I'm talking about the uber progressive pudgy 30-something year old podcasters or twitter people who seem to think analytics are more important than the score itself, the kind of people who come up with flaming hot takes such as "According to analytics you should just give the puck away to the other team" and who constantly feel the need to bash the "old boys club" and act as if some 30 year old math nerd is more qualified than people with any sort of hockey experience.
The kind of guys who get panties bunched when Tony D says 'analyze this assholes' regarding Strome's production? 'He just undermined an entire industry THINK OF THE CHILDREN'. Gimme a break.

I'm all for analytics especially with player and puck tracking being introduced, but jeez get off yer high horse you pudgy 30 something progressive bloggers. You're not curing cancer or solving world hunger here.

/rant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad