What's Your Most Controversial Hockey Opinion?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Chara should have been suspended for the rest of the season (including playoffs) for the Pacioretty hit. Not only that the Habs would have beaten the Bruins in round 1 with a healthy Max Pac.

There should be a big fat giant asterisk on the Cup next to the winner in 2011

Yea that would’ve been a great idea for an unintentional hit. It sucks what happened to MaxPac but Charas goal wasn’t to drive him into the stanchion

Most teams retired numbers standards are way too low.

Phoenix one of the more notable ones in that department

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Forcing?

Exactly which woman was forced to play?
If you don’t know what I mean I cannot be bothered to explain in detail, Mr Dictionary. The women weren’t forced to play. But viewers in attendance, unless they closed their eyes and abandoned their seats, weren’t exactly there to watch women sports.

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
The losing teams captain should be subject to public humiliation including a round of flogging. The nhl should also adopt a pit of despair. Which contains all the most dangerous predators known to man, some of which are not known to man yet. If a team loses 3 in a row they are subject to 24 hours in the pit

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
America is a giant bully that only goes "me me me me me me me!!" All about growth of the game in America! We take over everything murica!! Mass consumerism, f*** yea!

It's ridiculous how it's a Canadian sport but the majority of the teams have been made American all for "growing the game in America" especially considering a lot of these teams can't even fill their stadiums when doing bad.

The fact that Americans don't accept their American centrism bothers me. Okay, if it's just about growing the game in the less popular country, why don't we have a Canadian NFL team in Toronto? Why aren't the majority of teams in the NBA in Canada? Why is it only about growth in America America America? It's so annoying. From their international bullying with their military to sports, American centrism always prevails.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
America is a giant bully that only goes "me me me me me me me!!" All about growth of the game in America! We take over everything murica!! Mass consumerism, **** yea!

It's ridiculous how it's a Canadian sport but the majority of the teams have been made American all for "growing the game in America" especially considering a lot of these teams can't even fill their stadiums when doing bad.

The fact that Americans don't accept their American centrism bothers me. Okay, if it's just about growing the game in the less popular country, why don't we have a Canadian NFL team in Toronto? Why aren't the majority of teams in the NBA in Canada? Why is it only about growth in America America America? It's so annoying. From their international bullying with their military to sports, American centrism always prevails.
News flash: There are way more people in America.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Remove teams from the country called the United States.

Canadians team should be able to draft players raised in their own provinces.

Have a separate Canadian commissioner because right now this the USHL, ONLY citizens and needs of one country are met.

Why should Canada care about another country who doesn't bring anything to the growth of the game in Canada?

America has ruined the game of Hockey in Canada frankly. One reason for this, the commissioner.

Oh ya? You want to donate money from your league to small American children., match those donations in Canada.

This from someone who can see what the true mission statement is from another American company.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
  • You get called for icing even if you're on the PK.
  • Goalies shouldn't be allowed behind the net so that they can't impede the movement of opposing players.
  • We should have an "eye in the sky" official for every game who can instruct on ice officials to blow the play down if they miss an icing, off-side, goal or penalty.
  • Teams either shouldn't get a loser point for losing in OT/SO or they should get 3 PTS for a regulation win.
  • Bring back wooden sticks.
  • Ban a team for having 2 top 3 picks within 3 years. If you won the lottery and you were top 3 the last 2 years, the earliest you're drafting is 4th.
  • If you're penalized for intentionally pushing the goal posts off they're moorings; on every occasions not only should the opposing team be given a penalty shot, but the team in the wrong should be assed a 5 minute major as well to ensure that nobody dares do it ever again.
  • If someone is called for embellishment the other player should never be given a penalty.
  • A player shouldn't need multiple embellishment infractions to suffer further punishment to ensure that people actually stop doing it.
  • Players should be banned from laying down on the ice to block shots to ensure that they don't get injured and that more shots get through onto the net. Not saying there's anything wrong with standing in the shooting lane. Not cool with laying down.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Mine is that for the most part analytics are for nerds who've never played hockey. The vast majority of podcasts, twitter people, bloggers etc who preach about analytics above all else have never played hockey in their life

Agreed but I wouldn't use the same language :laugh:

Hockey survived just fine for 100 years without advanced stats. They aren't needed in the sport. Guys get paid based on their play and how much they score, not their G/60 or whatever. You're just making things more complicated with all these random stats.

Plus you get posters here that use them in a bad way. I.E. there was one guy who made up an advanced stat to try and make John Carlson seem like an average player :facepalm:

Reactions: EdJovanovski

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Meh. They’re definitely useful as an aid to assist in scouting, but without the context of visuals, they’re often misleading and even useless. Final scouting decisions will always be most heavily weighted by a pair of human eyes sitting high in the corners of hockey arenas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
America is a giant bully that only goes "me me me me me me me!!" All about growth of the game in America! We take over everything murica!! Mass consumerism, **** yea!

This is hardly a hockey opinion and more so just a generally bad take. There are nearly 300 million more people in the United States. It's almost like businesses want to make money. :sarcasm:

Reactions: cowboy82nd

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
  • You get called for icing even if you're on the PK.
  • Goalies shouldn't be allowed behind the net so that they can't impede the movement of opposing players.
  • We should have an "eye in the sky" official for every game who can instruct on ice officials to blow the play down if they miss an icing, off-side, goal or penalty.
  • Teams either shouldn't get a loser point for losing in OT/SO or they should get 3 PTS for a regulation win.
  • Bring back wooden sticks.
  • Ban a team for having 2 top 3 picks within 3 years. If you won the lottery and you were top 3 the last 2 years, the earliest you're drafting is 4th.
  • If you're penalized for intentionally pushing the goal posts off they're moorings; on every occasions not only should the opposing team be given a penalty shot, but the team in the wrong should be assed a 5 minute major as well to ensure that nobody dares do it ever again.
  • If someone is called for embellishment the other player should never be given a penalty.
  • A player shouldn't need multiple embellishment infractions to suffer further punishment to ensure that people actually stop doing it.
  • Players should be banned from laying down on the ice to block shots to ensure that they don't get injured and that more shots get through onto the net. Not saying there's anything wrong with standing in the shooting lane. Not cool with laying down.
Agreed on every single one except wood sticks

Reactions: GreeningOil

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I have a controversial rule change that seems like a no-brainer to me, but of course will never come to fruition. A game cannot end when a team losing by 1 goal has a man advantage. In basketball, if you foul a guy at the buzzer he gets foul shots. In football, if you interfere with a passer with time on the clock, they get the yardage. Why, in Hockey, do we allow the opposing team the ability to commit egregious penalties in the final seconds of a game with no repercussions? So many times I see games end with the losing team getting held, cross checked and all kinds of obvious penalties occurring, yet who cares because there are two seconds left on the clock.

Change the RULE! If the team that has the lead by one goal is penalized then the team behind should get the advantage of trying to score on that full PP.
Late reply, but I love this idea.

Kaapo Cabana

Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia

USA is where the money is.

deal with it

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I want the ties back. 5 min of OT 5 on 5 or 4 on 4, that's it.

Fines should be for a percentage of the salary, not a fixed fine. A player earning $10,000,000 would pay $500,000 in fines at a 5% penalty. A player earning $750,000 would pay $37,500. Then players would actually respect player safety more.

Everything from 1-5% of your yearly salary could be used.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Hockey's biggest growth hurdle is the significant portion of it's fan base that played some low level hockey in their past and they wear that as some sort of badge of honor because it's all they have. This leads to a lot of gate keeping and toxic behavior that turns off the casual sports fan. It makes it even worse that this group of people seem to both be proud of what they do while not understanding why 'casuals' gravitate to other sports.

If we are going to be forced to live with replay than all the refs should get is 3 angles at full speed. If they can't make a definitive call after that than the call on the ice stands. Speeds up the process and removes the ticky-tack overturns.

Atren

Jun 29, 2011
Europe
There is no point for losers. You secure point for achieving tie at end of regulation, not for losing.

Kaapo Cabana

Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
There is no point for losers. You secure point for achieving tie at end of regulation, not for losing.
BitesizedInfantileDingo.webp

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
“Fans” that focus primarily or solely on the country or location a team plays in are truly the worst type, as they as a rule miss out on discussing the game in lieu of whining about factors that have no on ice relevance. See: further up this page.

Reactions: cowboy82nd

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
Remove teams from the country called the United States.

Canadians team should be able to draft players raised in their own provinces.

Have a separate Canadian commissioner because right now this the USHL, ONLY citizens and needs of one country are met.

Why should Canada care about another country who doesn't bring anything to the growth of the game in Canada?

America has ruined the game of Hockey in Canada frankly. One reason for this, the commissioner.

Oh ya? You want to donate money from your league to small American children., match those donations in Canada.

This from someone who can see what the true mission statement is from another American company.

If you have hate in your heart, let it out!
-Clayton Bigsby

Reactions: nyrleetch and izlez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad