What's Your Most Controversial Hockey Opinion?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Institute floating bluelines. more creativity and possession. less off sides and dumps
reduce thigh rise by 10% - get goalies off their knees a bit and open up 5 hole
linesman stay in small boxes at the bluelines and come out if needed for seperating players. Get them the hell outta the way.
3 pts for a regulation win or get rid of loser pts...all games should be equal pt distribution
Only 16 games outside of your conference a year

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Bolded is my "controversial" opinion. I'm fine with making the ice sightly bigger than what it is now, but internationally sized ice is boring. Defenses have no choice but to collapse and individual defenders will nearly always maintain their defensive position rather than going for a loose puck, which leads to less transition opportunities. People seemed to have fallen in love with "big" ice from the great Vancouver Olympics, but that ice was still smaller than international standard.

tl;dr: Big ice is boring.

In addition to this I just do not like the IIHF rules. They have some pretty stupid ones that changes the whole pace and excitement of the sport which were created decades ago in a feeble attempt to cut into Canadian dominance.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Quebec should not even be a top 10 city for relocation. Stockholm, Sweden would make more sense than Quebec City.

Reactions: JD1

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Ryan Johansen is the most overrated player in the entire league and has been for nearly half a decade. He has been coasting for years.

NHL1995

Dec 9, 2019
The NHL should give Atlanta another shot. This time with a competent owner and front office who knows what they are doing. I think most posters here would be surprised at how successful an Atlanta team could be with a Jeff Vinik or Tom Dundon type owner.

Thrashers stage police chase to sell tix - Sportsnet.ca

Thrashers stage police chase to sell tix

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
DULUTH, Ga. — The attendance-challenged Atlanta Thrashers are getting desperate to sell tickets.
The team staged a fake police chase with its mascot on Wednesday in an attempt to pique interest in the surging team, which has won 10 of 12 games but still ranks 28th in the NHL in fan support.
"Thrash" was picked up by officers in suburban Gwinnett County after he supposedly stole a Zamboni from the team’s training complex and took off down a busy highway.
It was all just a publicity stunt. The team says Thrash will be released from custody as soon as 5,000 additional tickets are sold for the remaining five home games in December.
Atlanta is averaging just 11,789 per game, a drop of more than 14 per cent from the same time a year ago.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

muddywaters

GO FLAMES GO
Jul 12, 2006
Cedarbrae
I hope Tkachuk turns Kassian into a human helicopter blade again … and again refuses to fight .. maybe for good measure gives Nurse a free spin too ….

PuckThumper11

Nov 6, 2019
I honestly don't want Ovi to break Gretzky's record. When I was growing up, I never heard of any hockey player, except for Wayne Gretzky. I like Ovi but I honestly root against him to break the record. He won't beat the Great One's other records anyway but I don't want him to get the goals either. Maybe I'm a jerk but that's how I feel. If he gets to 800, fine. I hope he doesn't get past that.

Look Up

Let me tell you about my Celica again
Oct 3, 2013
Toronto should have a second team. The market is way too large and has plenty of hockey fans to make this work.

Reactions: The Pale King

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The more i witness guys on here armed with spreadsheets arguing over who is better, the more i realize the guys that create advanced stats grew up in a classroom not a hickey rink

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I know a lot of people will doubt this but our analytics studies shows Carlton the Bear could kick Gritty's ass.

That's my controversy!

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Online hockey community is way too insecure about the sports standing. Just hate how obsessed some are with trying to figure out hockey's popularity. MLS fandom online suffers from this too.
NHL is incredibly popular in cities with NHL teams.
Unfortunately hockey doesn't have any national exposure in the the rest of the country because it's not on ESPN so it takes a back seat to Lebron's breakfast and Tom Brady's workouts.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I honestly don't want Ovi to break Gretzky's record. When I was growing up, I never heard of any hockey player, except for Wayne Gretzky. I like Ovi but I honestly root against him to break the record. He won't beat the Great One's other records anyway but I don't want him to get the goals either. Maybe I'm a jerk but that's how I feel. If he gets to 800, fine. I hope he doesn't get past that.
Checks avatar: Yup, makes sense...

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Bolded is my "controversial" opinion. I'm fine with making the ice sightly bigger than what it is now, but internationally sized ice is boring. Defenses have no choice but to collapse and individual defenders will nearly always maintain their defensive position rather than going for a loose puck, which leads to less transition opportunities. People seemed to have fallen in love with "big" ice from the great Vancouver Olympics, but that ice was still smaller than international standard.

tl;dr: Big ice is boring.

Not that I'm disagreeing with the point of your argument (all true!), but just to be clear - the Vancouver Olympics were played on a "standard" 200 ft × 85 ft rink. This was very well publicized.

I'm guessing you're thinking of SLC in 2002 which was purportedly played on IIHF size rinks (60m x 30m), but was actually (according to Ken Hitchcock who as a Hockey Canada coach supposedly measured the rink) somewhat of a hybrid size.

Reactions: BrokenFace

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
McDavid's skillset (high skill at high speed) will ultimately not be viewed as translating into individual playoff performances befitting his regular season stature.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Thrashers stage police chase to sell tix - Sportsnet.ca

Thrashers stage police chase to sell tix

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
DULUTH, Ga. — The attendance-challenged Atlanta Thrashers are getting desperate to sell tickets.
The team staged a fake police chase with its mascot on Wednesday in an attempt to pique interest in the surging team, which has won 10 of 12 games but still ranks 28th in the NHL in fan support.
"Thrash" was picked up by officers in suburban Gwinnett County after he supposedly stole a Zamboni from the team’s training complex and took off down a busy highway.
It was all just a publicity stunt. The team says Thrash will be released from custody as soon as 5,000 additional tickets are sold for the remaining five home games in December.
Atlanta is averaging just 11,789 per game, a drop of more than 14 per cent from the same time a year ago.

Cool story bro

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
The All Star game does not make me irrationally angry that it exists. Players get a needed week off, while it's something that can be on in the background if I remember it's on.

I guess my controversial opinion is not having a strong opinion one way or the other.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Frederik Andersen is a great first-save goalie, but he's always a split-second slow tracking the puck and has below-average rebound control and recovery ability, so he ends up creating wayyy more work for himself than he needs to and makes what should be routine saves look much, much more difficult.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad