What's Your Most Controversial Hockey Opinion?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
I'm glad the NHL doesn't go to the Olympics. Shuts down the game for three weeks. The first week is meaningless just to see which one of Norway/Germany/Kazikstan goes home. Then the rest is just a crapshoot, one game and you're done. Big ice is boring and unless it is played in North America. Games are on at all hours of the morning. Just too many negatives. Should have a real World Cup every four years in September where teams have a training camp and time to jell. Canada/World Cup has always had superior hockey.

My Best-Carey

Bolded is my "controversial" opinion. I'm fine with making the ice sightly bigger than what it is now, but internationally sized ice is boring. Defenses have no choice but to collapse and individual defenders will nearly always maintain their defensive position rather than going for a loose puck, which leads to less transition opportunities. People seemed to have fallen in love with "big" ice from the great Vancouver Olympics, but that ice was still smaller than international standard.

tl;dr: Big ice is boring.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Mine is that the posters who post on here after playing a bit of hockey but never making it to the show throw the "you never played the game" argument out there. You do not know what the NHL is like either. That is the equivelent to a paint baller saying they know what war is like.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
1 goal 1 assist.

An assist should be rewarded for a play that DIRECTLY leads to a goal. The vast majority of 2nd assists have nothing to do with the scoring play.

SleepyJoeyB

Dec 26, 2019
1 goal 1 assist.

An assist should be rewarded for a play that DIRECTLY leads to a goal. The vast majority of 2nd assists have nothing to do with the scoring play.

LOL.

Do me a favour, and ask your self if the player who got the 2nd assist, muffed it up and turned it over, would that goal still be scored.

Reactions: RosstheBoss

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Evgeni Malkin is not only a top 100 player, but the best Russian hockey player ever, and will likely finish without the best hockey career due to injuries.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
LOL.

Do me a favour, and ask your self if the player who got the 2nd assist, muffed it up and turned it over, would that goal still be scored.
That can be said for 3rd, 4th, and 5th player that touched the puck before the goal.

Again, an assist is a play that DIRECTLY leads to a goal.

Reactions: Leksand

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
He may be the most skilled, but OV has the better career accomplishments and may go down as the best goal scorer in history.

I'm a Pens fan and hate the Caps but it's hard to argue Geno over OV.

I didn’t say career, he won’t have the better career unless he has a huge 30’s and wins a another Cup/some individual awards and OV stops scoring 50 every year.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I didn’t say career, he won’t have the better career unless he has a huge 30’s and wins a another Cup/some individual awards and OV stops scoring 50 every year.
Geno may be a better player, but history will remember OV as arguably the best goal scorer in history. History will unfortunately remember Geno as Sid's #2 center.

I'm sad to say there isn't a single argument that can be made in favor of Geno over OV.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Geno may be a better player, but history will remember OV as arguably the best goal scorer in history. History will unfortunately remember Geno as Sid's #2 center.

I'm sad to say there isn't a single argument that can be made in favor of Geno over OV.

I can’t tell if you’re trying to argue against my opinion or just regurgitating it. How history views their careers is different than who is more effective at the sport of ice hockey when they played.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
When Seattle joins the NHL should switch to a 76 game season that runs from Oct 1st to March 31st.

The rink should be wider in the NZ making it more ovoid. The bluelines should be moved 4ft towards the ends of the rink, where they used to be.

Seth Jones is a glorified Jay Bouwmeester.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
The NHL should give Atlanta another shot. This time with a competent owner and front office who knows what they are doing. I think most posters here would be surprised at how successful an Atlanta team could be with a Jeff Vinik or Tom Dundon type owner.

Ruh? Tom Dundon? The idea of running a franchise by Committee instead of paying a GM top dollar is ridiculous. And Don Waddell is a joke who has already ruined one franchise. On top of that, Dundon is cheap. The Carolina Hurricanes under Tom Dundon are bound to fail. I know all of these things to be true because I read them on HF Boards. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I like pretty everything about the game today. Maybe 10% more sandpaper and fighting.

Also, keep the overtime and shootout as it is. I'm not sure why people complain about a shootout if it's still tied. It's not the worst thing at all and people seem to like it at the game. Good for the extra point. But if they change the 3 on 3 to 7 minutes I'd prefer that. Otherwise just leave it.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I like Romanuk and even Randorf more than Hugheson ( and his color sidekick Simpson). I have no use for that latter duo. They just suck and are such homers.

Also, can't stand Maclean any longer and his self-abasing, self-flagelating, we're sorry to be Canadian, bring your box of tissues broadcasting. The guy needs to get out of this business. Such friggin' groveling and pedantic messaging. He's like the high priest of CBC blah-de-blah. It's nauseating.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Online hockey community is way too insecure about the sports standing. Just hate how obsessed some are with trying to figure out hockey's popularity. MLS fandom online suffers from this too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad