What's the main reason/s behind Edmonton's comeback from 0-3 to 3-3 in matches?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What's the main reason/s behind Edmonton's comeback ?

• Florida seemes gased (previous matches have taken their toll)

Votes: 29 16.9%
  • Some of the third liners and lesser known players have stepped up for Edmonton

Votes: 47 27.3%
  • A tactical triumph - Edmonton has figured out Florida's strategy

Votes: 76 44.2%
  • Florida has gotten some injuries

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Edmonton is just too fast for Florida and it's starting to show

Votes: 42 24.4%
  • Bob has let them down, Skinner on a roll

Votes: 43 25.0%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 31 18.0%

• Total voters

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Other. The 3-0 series lead didn't accurately represent how close the series actually was. I had voted Oilers in 7 prior to it. Hopefully I'm right. I think these are two top end teams who both belong here and this is a series that SHOULD have (and now has) gone to 7.

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
It was a fluke they were up 3-0 to begin with. If Florida somehow manages to get it together and wins on Monday, Edmonton is going to be lamenting the fact they let it get to 3-0 before getting it together, because on the whole this series they have been the better team imo.

Last edited:

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Connor McDavid
Oilers just won 5-1 without him registering a point

I think it's beyond just "McDavid playing out of his mind" at this point.

The supposed superior depth of the Panthers is being matched by the Oilers depth, the Panthers main offensive weapons have been neutralized. Verhaeghe has 2 points in 6 games, Tkachuk and Reinhart have 3 points in 6 games (all 3 have been pretty mediocre for half this postseason run tbh) That's 3 of their most productive forwards outside of Barkov barely half a point per game. I mean, Rodriguez leads the team in points for crying out loud.

The Oilers PP has also started to produce some results, and the Panthers PP is absolutely god awful.

I'm sure some of that has to do with Knoblauch figuring some things out, though I wouldn't be able to tell you what he's doing exactly. I'll let better hockey minds explain.

Last edited:

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Oilers have finally managed to tighten up their D, and have the better offence so they're managing to score more than they leak. Panthers can't figure how to break through with quality chances without breaking their own formation. Also, special teams and depth are helping.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
It was a fluke they were up 3-0 to begin with. If Florida somehow manages to get it together and wins on Monday, Edmonton is going to be lamenting the fact they let it get to 3-0 before getting it together, because on the whole this series they have been the better team imo.
I would say we are at the point where Florida won't win while being outplayed. So if they win Monday, they will have outplayed Edmonton in games 2, 3, 7, and turned it on midway through game 1. Edmonton was better in games 4-6, and first part of game 1.

Both teams have taken turns dominating. I don't think Edmonton will have been the better team throughout if Florida wins the series.

Reactions: Panteras and Mike C

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I put other. It's just kind of happened. Florida is exhausted and beat up. It didn't show until late in game 3. Edmonton has played better. But I see alot of unforced plays by the kitty cats.

This two day break benefits them more than Edmonton. They need to regroup and focus on getting the first goal. Realize they have been pretty unbeatable at home for most part this season.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Oilers have finally managed to tighten up their D, and have the better offence so they're managing to score more than they leak. Panthers can't figure how to break through with quality chances without breaking their own formation. Also, special teams and depth are helping.
To your point, they haven't figured out that they can"t keep trying to skate the puck in, especially on the PP. They need to dump in and go get it. When the puck is deep is when the forecheck can be effective and create chances

Also, this last game, Edmonton was the aggressor and took it to them physically. Fla may well be running on fumes

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
It’s a combination of Bob cooling off, McDavid going crazy, Edmonton’s bottom 6 stepping up, and Knoblauch. A perfect storm of things going right for Edmonton, but that’s why this is so historic and only happens once a century.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Panthers giving up too many breakaways and odd man rushes due to aggressive forechecking and pinching. Bob needs to turn into a wall for that to work in a series.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Florida can't start a game on time at all, it's always been a thing with them under Maurice, that plays in Edmonton's hands with their speed. Knoblauch has been tremendous with making changes even when things are going well which is the mark of a great coach and then what else do you have to say about the best player in the world turning it on?

Bob shitting the bed has a lot to do with it.

Bob is the reason they can't start games on time? He's the only reason this series already isn't over with how he played the first 2 games

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Edmonton started taking away more of their space not letting them be comfortable with the puck on their stick

Reactions: Mike C

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Options one, six, and seven.

McDavid is just too good right now being the seventh reason.

First canadian cup since -93. First SCF 3-0 collapse since -42. McDavid breaking records dragging his team to the reverse sweep at the best player since Gretzky. Of course it will be this way. Feels so storybook it must be destiny at work.

It just sucks it's against the Panthers.

Last edited:

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
The biggest reason 100% is the coaching, and it's not just the head coach.

A huge part of it has been the distribution of personnel. When Woodcroft was coaching, McDrai were a big part of the PK. Since Mark Stuart has taken over, he's made the PK a dedicated role for some of the middle six players. It gives the depth of the Oilers ownership of a big part of the game, which you can't do with McDrai playing the big minutes 5 on 5, which keeps them in the game and gives them purpose.

On top of that, Coffey's preaching about defensemen making plays rather than simply playing safe has given them confidence breaking out of their own zone. A lot of the Oilers defensive issues over the last few years has been exactly that.

Going back to the head coaching role though, the adjustments that have been made throughout each of the series goes to show just how much small tactical adjustments can affect the game. Stretching out the Florida D 5 on 5 with extending the F1/F2 for a stretch pass has forced them to respect the breakout, which has helped neutralize the forecheck of Florida in a way that other teams haven't been able to take advantage of.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
A combination of depth, defence and goaltending.

All of the things people say the Oilers lack combined with the star power and specials teams the Oilers are known for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad