What's the main reason/s behind Edmonton's comeback from 0-3 to 3-3 in matches?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What's the main reason/s behind Edmonton's comeback ?

• Florida seemes gased (previous matches have taken their toll)

Votes: 29 16.9%
  • Some of the third liners and lesser known players have stepped up for Edmonton

Votes: 47 27.3%
  • A tactical triumph - Edmonton has figured out Florida's strategy

Votes: 76 44.2%
  • Florida has gotten some injuries

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Edmonton is just too fast for Florida and it's starting to show

Votes: 42 24.4%
  • Bob has let them down, Skinner on a roll

Votes: 43 25.0%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 31 18.0%

• Total voters

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Florida’s PP had gone to shit.
It won them the series vs NYR and is gonna lose them this series.
Also Bob is mid af.

That Hyman goal last night was terrible.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
1) Bobvrosky looks very beatable. Every shot feels like it could go in, which is completely different from Games 1 and 2.

2) Knoblauch has made some tremendous coaching decisions and has thoroughly outclassed Maurice.

3) McDavid went Super Saiyan to get them back into the series, and now their depth is proving to be too much for the Panthers to handle.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Oilers just won 5-1 without him registering a point

I think it's beyond just "McDavid playing out of his mind" at this point.

The supposed superior depth of the Panthers is being matched by the Oilers depth, the Panthers main offensive weapons have been neutralized. Verhaeghe has 2 points in 6 games, Tkachuk and Reinhart have 3 points in 6 games (all 3 have been pretty mediocre for half this postseason run tbh) That's 3 of their most productive forwards outside of Barkov barely half a point per game. I mean, Rodriguez leads the team in points for crying out loud.

The Oilers PP has also started to produce some results, and the Panthers PP is absolutely god awful.

I'm sure some of that has to do with Knoblauch figuring some things out, though I wouldn't be able to tell you what he's doing exactly. I'll let better hockey minds explain.
Oilers are using the Dallas leak play where one forward cherry picks at the blue line. It’s forcing one of the Panthers defensemen to stay farther back on a lot of plays which nullifies their full press forecheck.

Knob saw how effective this was against his own team and implemented it for his own purposes.

matsqq

Jan 3, 2011
Maurice looked really uncomfortable the last games,

Of course it's nothing strange with that but he seemed really affected .

I can't see how that's a good thing.

I think most people make worse decisions when they feel they are under tremendous pressure

Reactions: barry halls

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Tactically, the Oilers are doing exactly what the Stars did.

Off-camera there is a 'cherry picker' near the red line that the defender can NOT ignore. That unfortunately stretches the zone, and nullifies the effectiveness of the aggressive forecheck. If they lose a puck battle it's a breakaway going back.

The Oilers answer to the Stars was keep the Dman back, control the neutral zone, and use superior speed to prevent the cherrypicker. It's why Desharnais was taken out for Broberg. That speed on the backend was what prevented the rushes coming back.

The problem the Panthers have, is their Dmen can't match the speed of our cherrypickers. (Janmark, Foegele, Hyman, Brown, McLeod) which is why you're seeing them on so many breakaways. And if they have 2-Dmen back, it completely opens up the middle of the ice for our much faster forwards.

Here's how the Stars deployed it:

The problem the Panthers have is they're a much slower team. Any solution PoMo might have can't rely on speed.

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
McDavid being unreal for two games, Skinner stepping up along with the Oilers depth and they eventually solved Bobrovsky. Speaking of Bob he is getting a lot of heat but his play in games one to three is the only reason this series wasn’t won by the Oilers in 5.

Still think game 7 is a coinflip even though many have written Florida off. They are going to leave absolutely everything on the line in order to not blow a 3-0 lead.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
1) Bobvrosky looks very beatable. Every shot feels like it could go in, which is completely different from Games 1 and 2.

2) Knoblauch has made some tremendous coaching decisions and has thoroughly outclassed Maurice.

3) McDavid went Super Saiyan to get them back into the series, and now their depth is proving to be too much for the Panthers to handle.
1. Bob could have been torched just as bad in Game 1 if the Oilers just lifted the puck a foot off the ice. Compare the 2 breakaways oilers had in game 1 and buried into Bobs pad versus Hymans breakaway in game 6. A foot off the ice was all that’s needed to beat Bob off the break. See Holloway’s goal in Game 5 for another example.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
A combination of depth, defence and goaltending.

All of the things people say the Oilers lack combined with the star power and specials teams the Oilers are known for.
Well said. I was a skeptic going in. Skinner has played well, depth has impressed and team D has been exquisite.

Reactions: PuckG

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Florida’s PP had gone to shit.
It won them the series vs NYR and is gonna lose them this series.
Also Bob is mid af.

That Hyman goal last night was terrible.
I think it’s less about Floridas PP going to shit as it is about them running up against Edmonton’s PK.

They’ve been rocking 94% on the kill all playoffs.

Playoff Bobrovsky finally showing up after 3 really good rounds and 2 incredible first games is definitely playing a factor too though.

But truthfully I think Florida was lucky to be up 3-0. Bobrovsky flat out stole game 1 and then Skinner lost the Oilers game 3. Edmonton has been the better team in 5 of the 6 games.

This series might not have gotten to 7 in a likely way, but it’s appropriate it’s gone 7. These were 2 of the best 3-4 teams in the league.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
One other reason, remember when everyone said Panthers physicality would run over the Oilers?

Sorry but the Oilers aren’t a soft eastern conference team. The Panthers bully their conference. They can’t bully these Oilers.

The Oilers have been forged in fire playing some of the dirtiest teams of the Cap era in the Treliving Era Calgary Flames. They know all about the cheap antics of Bennett and Chucky and it doesn’t phase them. They’ve also had multiple series against the Kings who tried to injure their way to series wins. They just got done with the Nucks who tried to do the same.

These Oilers don’t cower in the face of physicality. They fight back. You knee one of our guys, were kneeing one of your guys. You head shot one of our guys, Drais gonna headshot Barkov back (this is exactly why Drai did that by the way, payback for a headshot just done a minute prior, oh and also payback for vicious slashes tk Drais wrists that went uncalled in Game 1). It’s always tit for tat with these Oilers. And if you watch the games carefully, you’ll notice that anything the Oilers do that’s “dirty” is only in response to something done to them. They didn’t initiate the dirt, but they are more than capable of answering it.

Reactions: MessierII

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Games were close from the get go. Oilers are capitalizing on their chances now. Bob is letting in goals he was indirectly saving earlier.

zar

Bleed Blue
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Other

IMG_9921.jpeg

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Knoblauch is the reason they are where they are. Without Knoblauch, McDavid doesn't even get the opportunity

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Video showing exactly what I described:

Cherry pick is f***ing up the aggrressive forecheck. Forces them into a run and gun.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Other. The 3-0 series lead didn't accurately represent how close the series actually was. I had voted Oilers in 7 prior to it. Hopefully I'm right. I think these are two top end teams who both belong here and this is a series that SHOULD have (and now has) gone to 7.
The first sentence is how I felt about the first 3 games as well and Edmonton has found momentum and confidence and scoring early and playing with the lead really helps.

Reactions: CanadienShark

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad