What's the main reason/s behind Edmonton's comeback from 0-3 to 3-3 in matches?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What's the main reason/s behind Edmonton's comeback ?

• Florida seemes gased (previous matches have taken their toll)

Votes: 29 16.9%
  • Some of the third liners and lesser known players have stepped up for Edmonton

Votes: 47 27.3%
  • A tactical triumph - Edmonton has figured out Florida's strategy

Votes: 76 44.2%
  • Florida has gotten some injuries

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Edmonton is just too fast for Florida and it's starting to show

Votes: 42 24.4%
  • Bob has let them down, Skinner on a roll

Votes: 43 25.0%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 31 18.0%

• Total voters

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kind of prophetic now, but I mentioned Skinner after game 3. He has been one of the keys IMO, also a guy that should but probably will not get a lot of credit. Connor Brown, his outstanding assist on the PK sparked the Oilers comeback. They have not looked back, and really where would the Oilers be for not Brown and his contributions on the PK. Another soild signing by the Oilers once he got healthy. A player when healthy I always had a lot of time for.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
My personal opinion:

• Edmonton's depth has really been contributing
  • McDavid made a statement in two of the games, and has been dangerous all of them
  • Edmonton is sheltering the puck carefully in their own zone when they can't move it quickly, making quick passes to elude the forecheck and winning a lot of battles, and taking hits from the forecheck to be able to move the puck well out of their zone

They are paying the price to negate Florida's hard driving forecheck and are not getting bottled up.

I disagree that Bob has been bad. A week ago he was prime Hasek but hfboards always wants to blame the goalies.

Reactions: FinlandPanther

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
The biggest reason 100% is the coaching, and it's not just the head coach.

On top of that, Coffey's preaching about defensemen making plays rather than simply playing safe has given them confidence breaking out of their own zone. A lot of the Oilers defensive issues over the last few years has been exactly that.

You can't find many guys better to learn about breaking out of your own zone effectively than Coffey, that is for sure. They are just negating the Panthers forecheck with smart gritty play. I didn't think Edmonton's D had it in them but.. here we are

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
McDavid is the main reason. He put the team on his in games 4 and 5 and dragged them back into the fight, giving them momentum and the team has rallied around that.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
McDavid's determination
Florida got complacent in game 4
Oilers destroyed Bobrovsky and his confidence
Florida playing scared to choke
Skinner playing well

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
It looks like when they did the coaching change the team started playing a much better defensive system and the team as bought into it.

Also Florida plays a heavy bruising game and it worked for them until game 3 of the finals and have not adapted or even tried to change there game plan.

One team is trying to score goals and one team is going for the big hits.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Lmao. I’m sorry when the oilers keep coming with odd man rush after odd man rush, then natural stat trick needs to evaluate their program.
Bob also let in more softies than Skinner this series. So even if the Oilers high dangers are more dangerous (debatable), he’s still outplaying Bob.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Knob changes things up, little adjustments along the way. PoMo is a fraud and consistent loser

A combination of depth, defence and goaltending.

All of the things people say the Oilers lack combined with the star power and specials teams the Oilers are known for.
Oiler fans are 1st to scapegoat skinner ceci and nurse so not sure about that narrative

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Edmonton depth. It has not all Mcdavid and or Draisaitl. If the Oilers do go on and win the cup and I caution Florida have a great team over there too I sure hope the support players all get their due. Foegel, Brown, Perry, Mcleod, Ekhlom ect…

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Bettman is giving a gimmie to Canadian fans. One Canadian team is allowed to win the cup every 30 years. :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Florida's weird refusal to commit dump n chase hockey even though Edmonton's been successfully clogging up their NZ passes and attempted skate-in entries may well destroy their hopes of winning. Add on Edmonton's PK being on fire, McDavid willing them to win games 4 and 5, Skinner coming up with timely saves, and Bob not always being able to bail out the mistakes leading to breakaways and odd-man chances, and you have the comeback.

I was at a buddy's wedding during game 4, so I'm curious from people who watched: did Florida play a lackadaisical game where they sorta felt like they'd win just by showing up, or was it more of a perfect storm game for Edmonton?

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Knob changes things up, little adjustments along the way. PoMo is a fraud and consistent loser

Oiler fans are 1st to scapegoat skinner ceci and nurse so not sure about that narrative
The narrative is still largely from outside fans but it doesn’t matter when you can watch the product yourself.

“No defence”
“Will never contend until their star players play defence”
“PP merchants”

Those are narratives. False ones.

Calling out Nurse/Ceci for blunders doesn’t excuse the non-sensical statements above.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
To win in the playoffs and get this far, you need everything clicking. Not just McDavid, everything.

Oilers PK and PP have been beyond elite for awhile now. There should be no surprise they’ve been winning the special teams battle all playoffs long.

Oilers Team D has been elite since Knobluach took over. I said a week after he was hired the Oilers would win a Cup with this Defence. They’ve shown they can defend as well as the best defensive teams in the League.

You got elite talent in McD, Drai, and Bouch that most teams would be hard pressed to match.

The arrival of Bouchard, a true number 1 elite defenceman has really put this Oilers roster over the top compared to past years.

You have support talent like Nuge, Hyman, Kane, Ekholm, that all bring something significant and impactful to the roster.

You have the Oilers always underrated depth playing out of their minds. Really taking on the challenge of being great alongside McDrai in the playoffs.

You have a great D core. Well rounded with loads of talent. With mentorship by Paul Coffey to unlock their best potential.

And the overly-criticized and underrated Stu who’s outplaying his completion all playoffs long. Every goalie he’s faced, he’s outplayed. His stats are deflated for various factors. He’s much better than his stats suggest. I believed in Stu and his talent since Day 1. He’s finally proving to the rest of the world how good he is.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I was thinking about this during the last two games.

How much of the shift is simply momentum?

Momentum can be hard to stop once it turns in a game and with the star power the Oilers have a shift in momentum seems even harder to stop AND has carried on from Game 4 into 5 and into 6...

...certainly Bobrovsky has been impacted and McDavid has been unreal- but in terms of what could the Panthers do in games 5 and 6 and now for game 7 - I think the answer is stem the tide of momentum and I don't know how they do it.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Bob shitting the bed has a lot to do with it.
This agrees with you.

1719076451864.png

Panthers won the high danger chances 6-3

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Lmao. I’m sorry when the oilers keep coming with odd man rush after odd man rush, then natural stat trick needs to evaluate their program.
I mean, that's a rush attack. Those aren't high danger chances by default. There are far more rush attacks per game than what we call high danger chances.

Reactions: norrisnick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad