What's going on with Tavares ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
Tavares doesn't suck.

He was top 30 in points, top 20 in goals, top 20 in hits, and perhaps the best faceoff man in the league. He is also heavy on the boards, can play the cycle game, and is good at the top of the slot. This makes him, arguably, a 1st line centre. We're using him as a 2nd line C, he is an excellent 2nd line C compared to the rest in the NHL.

His cap hit is too high, by a significant margin, but he can still be an effective player.

We know he isn't going anywhere as he'll never agree to it, and even if he did, we'd get nothing for him. We should show him respect that a captain deserves and begin the process of negotiating a sweet deal moving forward.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
He sucks and we're stuck with him for another year
65 points as a 2C and coming off his worst shooting% season of his career. Definitely sucks...

How quickly people forget the pre-Matthews era where Kadri led the team with 45 points lol

I would be all for re-signing him if we strong arm him into a retirement contract. Something that would be tenable should he drop to 3 or 4C eventually.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Doug Maclean said on the fan590 today that Treliving should do everything he can to move Tavares. TOR should keep Marner around to see if Berube can motivate him.

I know leaf fans want Marner's head on a pike, but they should consider seeing him finish his contract.
Thank God Doug’s behind a microphone and not running a hockey team anymore………

Reactions: GoonieFace

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Tavares is a cancer and continues to infect the leafs

Hopefully the org is smart and tells him to f*** off after this year

Tavares signing killed this teams chance at winning.

You had a guy who drops in production come playoffs, cqnt match top lines, cant be a PP driver, is emotionless and wont bring energy and big hits.

2 pts in 7 games vs bruins, killed PP entries everytime the puck went up his side of the ice, had all the opportunities given to him and he choked like he always does.

Kessel did much more for the leafs than Tavares has.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Tavares doesn't suck.

He was top 30 in points, top 20 in goals, top 20 in hits, and perhaps the best faceoff man in the league. He is also heavy on the boards, can play the cycle game, and is good at the top of the slot. This makes him, arguably, a 1st line centre. We're using him as a 2nd line C, he is an excellent 2nd line C compared to the rest in the NHL.

His cap hit is too high, by a significant margin, but he can still be an effective player.

We know he isn't going anywhere as he'll never agree to it, and even if he did, we'd get nothing for him. We should show him respect that a captain deserves and begin the process of negotiating a sweet deal moving forward.
Maybe the sweet deal involves a trade and a contract extension from the other team.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I doubt he’ll waive, but if he did, he’ll only be owed ~900k once his bonus is paid.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Tavares is a cancer and continues to infect the leafs

Hopefully the org is smart and tells him to f*** off after this year

Tavares signing killed this teams chance at winning.

You had a guy who drops in production come playoffs, cqnt match top lines, cant be a PP driver, is emotionless and wont bring energy and big hits.

2 pts in 7 games vs bruins, killed PP entries everytime the puck went up his side of the ice, had all the opportunities given to him and he choked like he always does.

Kessel did much more for the leafs than Tavares has.
Ridiculous take. You're a media fanboy. Tavaras is good. He's overpaid. The fact that you referr to him as a cancer is idiotic.

Please find another team to cheer for, fans like you are embarrassing

Reactions: therealkoho

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
There's no chatter because he's not going to be moved. He has a NMC and he has a young family. He's a negative value asset in relation to his cap hit at this point as well. Only way Tavares leaves is if both sides mutually agree to part ways.

Tavares will very likely be re-signed and I expect him to retire a Maple Leaf, for better or worse.
If this happens then this management group is not serious about winning anything

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Ridiculous take. You're a media fanboy. Tavaras is good. He's overpaid. The fact that you referr to him as a cancer is idiotic.

Please find another team to cheer for, fans like you are embarrassing
Fanboys like you are embarassing.

Defending Tavares who is overrated, overhyped, overpaid and has done nothing as a leader for the leafs

f*** tavares, and anyone who tries to justifiy him having kids+family for why he should be brought back.

Leafs owe nothing to tavares. This isnt Sundin who we experienced good times and good playoff runs with.

Tavares has produced 24 pts in 38 playoff games. Hes a 3C making 11M come playoffs.

Next year he needs to be playing 12-13M a game and no PP1 time.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
At 4m for a few years?

Sure, I'd rather take Marner at 4m a year though if we are getting this big of a discount from people for no reason.

Tavares is the most likely person to take a discount out of everyone.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Tavares goes down in game 1 vs Montreal.
Holy crap the 2nd line is actually fast.
Look at that Kerfoot can keep up with Nylander's skating. That's amazing.
Did I mention the line actually looks fast?
5 goals and 8 points for Willy in the 7 games.
6 points for Kerfoot.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
And watch him walk for nothing. Teriible asset management on top of terrible asset management. We will be a lottery team sooner than we are as close to a SCF as the Oilers and Panthers are today.

Trade him and move on. Marner is what is he is. He is not changing his spots. I cannot imagine how scared he would be if he ever got to round #3. We are seeing it with some of the Rangers stars as Florida is taking away their will to win.
I know it's terrible. So many good players have already walked for nothing. The organization has big decisions to make. All of these players don't win. Nylander has been flat & shy about making contact too. Can Marner be packaged in a trade with Rielly? Can they move some of our expensive forwards for prospects on Defence? If we move Marner are we going to be good enough to go 3 rounds in the playoffs with whoever they get in return? You can't go deep into the playoffs with the 2025 1st round pick. It's good to get that pick, but is Toronto good enough to win now? It's a tough situation.

Reactions: ToneDog

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Thank God Doug’s behind a microphone and not running a hockey team anymore………
I am not standing behind him on this. Toronto should actually trade Matthews, Rielly, Nylander, Marner, and Tavares.

But why do you think it should be Marner and not Tavares?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Tavares goes down in game 1 vs Montreal.
Holy crap the 2nd line is actually fast.
Look at that Kerfoot can keep up with Nylander's skating. That's amazing.
Did I mention the line actually looks fast?
5 goals and 8 points for Willy in the 7 games.
6 points for Kerfoot.

JT was a terrible signing.

The Leafs are too stupid to build lines. They don't grasp tempo or that players with similar speed are more likely to make plays.

It really is just a poorly run organization full of dimwits.

For 500th time. Clean house fire everyone. Make BT Pres / GM. Remove all the supporting staff and let Berube hire who he wants.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I am not standing behind him on this. Toronto should actually trade Matthews, Rielly, Nylander, Marner, and Tavares.

But why do you think it should be Marner and not Tavares?
I don’t, I’ve said numerous times I believe if there are trades that improve the team no one should not be considered a tradable asset. Having said that JT’s value isn’t strong, and Marner’s contract is expiring so it makes him the most logical to be traded, JT can walk or play for pennies on the dollar next season. This scenario gets rid of half the core and lets the organization know if trading any of 34, 88, 44 still needs to happen. It’s not personal for me trading Marner, it’s all business……..

I would get rid of both of them? 22m cap is awesome to have. If we get some picks and parts back that's fine too. Guys on 1 year to make the cap work no problems.
If it’s doable and improves the team go for it, I thought JT wasn’t a priority when they signed him, Kadri was the perfect number two centre at the time……..

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
hf leaf fans let me ask you this:

John Tavares had a good showing at the IIHF World Championships.

1st in face offs
1st in assists
12th in scoring

All biases aside/all the millions of dollars aside, does he still have value?

Does a pro scout or a GM see him and think he still has value?

Could TOR retain a little on him? Could he get TOR Futures in return?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
hf leaf fans let me ask you this:

John Tavares had a good showing at the IIHF World Championships.

1st in face offs
1st in assists
12th in scoring

All biases aside/all the millions of dollars aside, does he still have value?

Does a pro scout or a GM see him and think he still has value?

Could TOR retain a little on him? Could he get TOR Futures in return?

Karlsson is better and even retained they got Karlsson for free (or close to it), they just paid for the cap dumps they were sending back.

The market is too small for teams who can afford him, I don't see it.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Karlsson is better and even retained they got Karlsson for free (or close to it), they just paid for the cap dumps they were sending back.

The market is too small for teams who can afford him, I don't see it.
so you're saying Dubas paid a 1st (14th oveall) to dump Rutta who was only owed 2.5m x 1 yr to the Sharks ? I wonder how much it'll cost him to dump EK who has 3 yr x 10m left on his deal

there's no way to spin this brutal deal to try to defend Dumbass , lol

i'm also wondering if he's going to try to find a stooge to fill the GM spot to deflect away from his brutal asset mgmt or he'll say again how he doesn't want to ruin the ''synergies'' he built like he explained why he kept the GM title last year , lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad