What's going on with Tavares ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I would think the other side of the continent would be the last place he'd be interested in going to.

IMO, 95% he retires a Leaf, 5% he goes to Buffalo where his uncle is a legend.

It was joke :) , playing on the trope that Edmonton or Vancouver signs/trades for every Toronto UFA/unwelcomed toy ... Hyman, Campbell, Ceci, Joshua, Mykhev, Leivo, etc...

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Tavares is probably going to retire in 3-4 years as Captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I expect him to sign a 2-3 year team friendly contract after next season and possibly take on a role with the Leafs after he retires.

MLSE likely knows this already.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Tavares is probably going to retire in 3-4 years as Captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I expect him to sign a 2-3 year team friendly contract after next season and possibly take on a role with the Leafs after he retires.

MLSE likely knows this already.
No thank you...you wanna bring back players to join management then please bring in Clark or Gilmour and not Mr. Bland. May as well bring back Marleau if your gonna do that.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
He has no incentive to waive the NMC.

Marner does because he heads for free agency and the big lifetime contract.

If TML tells JT they aren't going to resign him there will be plenty of teams in the league willing to take him on for a decent salary.

JT is still a good player his cap hit is just too high for the value he brings at this stage of his career.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
No thank you...you wanna bring back players to join management then please bring in Clark or Gilmour and not Mr. Bland. May as well bring back Marleau if your gonna do that.
Doug Gilmour was employed post career as player development advisor for the Maple Leafs… Wendel Clark still works for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I would guess MLSE are not sour on John Tavares like yourself.

I would also be surprised to see Tavares not part of the Leafs after he’s done playing.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Again, you're right. I need to get back to my "Marner bashing" ASAP. Thanks for the reminder!
glad i could clear that up for you

now you can concentrate on how Marner single handedly destroyed the Leafs

Last edited:

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
We have been over this ad-nauseam. It is not difficult to figure out why there are rumors about Mitch and none about Tavares.

Also, Tavares being what he is does not absolve Marner, or any other player, from not meeting expectations so spare us the whataboutism.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
We have been over this ad-nauseam. It is not difficult to figure out why there are rumors about Mitch and none about Tavares.

Also, Tavares being what he is does not absolve Marner, or any other player, from not meeting expectations so spare us the whataboutism.
shouldn't there be some news ?

-they plan to ask him to waive
-they don't plan to ask to waive
-there talking about or going to talk about an extension
-they're not going to talk about an extension until after the season or at all

you'd think the insiders would have some rumor to spread

and of course it doesn't absolve Marners play , we know it's poor Johnny who's always been the one who been let down by his teammates , it's been that way since jr

Last edited:

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018

and of course it doesn't absolve Marners play , we know it's poor Johnny who's always been the one who been let down by his teammates , it's been that way since jr
Why would there be news?… they likely know exactly how the Captain’s career is going to play out.

They’ll announce his hometown discount when he signs it… the group of people like yourself who despise Tavares and can’t comprehend him finishing his career in Toronto is very small.

If he signs for a substantial hometown discount… your small group gets even smaller.

Reactions: Ciao and Confucius

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Well JT is still learning his lessons

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Why would there be news?… they likely know exactly how the Captain’s career is going to play out.

They’ll announce his hometown discount when he signs it… the group of people like yourself who despise Tavares and can’t comprehend him finishing his career in Toronto is very small.

If he signs for a substantial hometown discount… your small group gets even smaller.
why would any Leaf fan want a loser like Tavares to finish his career as a Leaf ?

his playoff performances says he's worth 1.5m per year so i guess you could say if he signs for league min it would be a discount , not really a substantial discount since the loser isn't worth much now never mind 2 seasons from now but i guess we could still call it a discount if we're being nice

Last edited:

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Doug Maclean said on the fan590 today that Treliving should do everything he can to move Tavares. TOR should keep Marner around to see if Berube can motivate him.

I know leaf fans want Marner's head on a pike, but they should consider seeing him finish his contract.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Did you also stick it to the "Infuriated haters" after Tavares put up 2 points in 7 playoff games?

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Doug Maclean said on the fan590 today that Treliving should do everything he can to move Tavares. TOR should keep Marner around to see if Berube can motivate him.

I know leaf fans want Marner's head on a pike, but they should consider seeing him finish his contract.
I don’t know exactly how things were said, but anyone with only 1 playoff win in 8 years that needs to be motivated can go.
Cause what happens when he gets his 12+ million and finds himself unmotivated again.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I don’t know exactly how things were said, but anyone with only 1 playoff win in 8 years that needs to be motivated can go.
Cause what happens when he gets his 12+ million and finds himself unmotivated again.
We ask that question to all of them including Rielly. 3 of them already got paid.

I wish I knew what is the best course of action.

I feel that if Tre tries to trade Marner he'll lose the trade. Does he want that reputation as a GM?

I just want to turn the page on this era. I don't care for most of these players.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
endless rumors on Marner but barely nothing about what the teams planning on doing with our biggest issue which is Captain Mumbles , whether they trade or re-sign Mitch the most important move is getting rid of Tavares so why so quiet ?
Because he is staying *shrug*

Reactions: Ciao

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

And watch him walk for nothing. Teriible asset management on top of terrible asset management. We will be a lottery team sooner than we are as close to a SCF as the Oilers and Panthers are today.

Trade him and move on. Marner is what is he is. He is not changing his spots. I cannot imagine how scared he would be if he ever got to round #3. We are seeing it with some of the Rangers stars as Florida is taking away their will to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad