Speculation: What was this Teams biggest mistake?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
1). Letting Zach Hyman walk as UFA, suggesting $5 mil AAV was too rich for Leafs. Hyman coming off a 70 goal season (54 regular and Salary Cap record 16 playoff goals).

I don't care about the rest...

Does playoff performance matter or not? You can't have it both ways.

Assuming you will ignore this question or be a hypocrite and cite something that happened after he left.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I mean it's signing Taveres and blowing up the salary structure, Dubas isn't wrong about that at least. If you want to take that up a level and call it letting Lou go and hiring Dubas, then I won't argue it.

Reactions: Mess and ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Signing an aging Marleau caused downstream issues and may have set a bad example to a young impressionable couple.
Sure they could have done without him and Dubas made the mistake worse no doubt but that can't qualify as the biggest mistake.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Tavares was UFA.

His contract should not have been any part of RFA signings.
No, it shouldn't have, but it did, I think. Mitchy and Matty and their camps came marching in saying we are younger and already better then Mr. Eleven Million over there, we should make more then him. Hard point to argue against at that time.

Reactions: egd27

CuuuJooo

May 28, 2021
Since we've discussed the Dubas era in some detail, let us pause to remember Our Lord and Saviour David Clarkson.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Tavares.
Foligno.

Letting Hyman walk.
Trading
Verhaeghe.
Trading Kadri.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
The team that tanked the hardest (Buffalo didn’t even get McDavid). At the end of the lottery, we were one ball from getting McDavid. And we ended up with the second best or third best player in the 2015 draft. It’s all luck. If that ball drops our way we end up with Mcdavid. Literally came down to the last ball in the lottery between us and Edmonton.
Maybe we don’t get Mcdavid, but we could’ve gotten eichel who is/was clearly a better player especially when he was on Buffalo

Kaprizov, Rantanen, Aho, Eichel are all Marner level players. He isn’t the second or third, he’s around 4-6th.

It would’ve helped a lot to improve our odds and who knows what would’ve happened then.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Kyle Dubas’ dirty dozen 12 worst moves during his time with the Toronto Maple Leafs
=========================================================================

1). Letting Zach Hyman walk as UFA, suggesting $5 mil AAV was too rich for Leafs. Hyman coming off a 70 goal season (54 regular and Salary Cap record 16 playoff goals).

2). Signing Marner and Matthews to UFA $$ contract rates as RFA (under cost controllable situation), missing the 2nd contract team value deals and missing Leaf Cup compete window.

3). Toronto Maple Leafs acquire Tyson Barrie, Alex Kerfoot and a 2020 3rd-round pick from the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen and a 2020 6th-round pick.

4). Toronto Maple Leafs acquire Nick Foligno (CBJ) and Stefan Noesen (SJ) in a three-way trade in exchange for a 2021 1st-round pick, a 2021 4th-round pick and a 2022 4th-round pick

5). Toronto Maple Leafs protecting Justin Holl and Alex Kerfoot over 40 goal future scorer Jared McCann in the 2021 Seattle Kraken expansion draft

6.) Toronto Maple Leafs sign free agent John Tavares to a seven-year, $77M contract ($11M AAV) the highest UFA contract in a Salary Cap World blowing up Leafs internal Salary Cap.

7). Toronto Maple Leafs dumping Marleau with a 1st round who turned out to be Seth Jarvis, because of overspending on contracts preventing Leafs own RFA re-signings.

8) Toronto Maple Leafs acquire Matt Murray in trade coming with a long injury history and $15 mil owing on his 2 year contract for a 3rd and 7th round picks.

9). Toronto Maple Leafs sign free agent Petr Mrazek to a three-year, $11.4M contract ($3.8M AAV), then dealing away Leafs 1st round pick in 2022 to unload it.

10). Toronto Maple Leafs acquire 38 year old Mark Giordano and Colin Blackwell from the Seattle Kraken in exchange for a 2022 2nd-round pick, a 2023 2nd-round pick, a 2024 3rd-round pick

11). Building a team in a Salary Cap World not from Goalie out, but rather 4 forwards eating up 1/2 a Salary Cap and it leading to NHL worst playoff results of all NHL teams.

12). Leafs GM scorced earth dealing away Leafs draft picks like candy years into the future to fuel his 1st round playoff loss imcompetence. No team has made less picks the past 3 years.

Honourable Mention:

- Allowing Frederik Andersen to walk in free agency to sign a two-year, $9M contract ($4.5M AAV) with the Carolina Hurricanes, leading to the endless poor goaltending decisons (Garret Sparks, Michael Hutchinson, Kasimir Kaskisuo, Jack Campbell, David Rittich, Petr Mrazek, Erik Kallgren, Matt Murray, Ilya Samsonov).

- Toronto Maple Leaf hiring Soo Greyhound Sheldon Keefe with Zero NHL coaching experience and getting outcoaced against everyone and leading to imbarassing losses to CBJ and Montreal and others.

- Toronto Maple Leafs acquire Denis Malgin from the Florida Panthers in exchange for Mason Marchment.

- Toronto Maple Leafs sign UFA Nick Ritchie and then deal him away with Leafs 2025 2nd round pick to unload.

- etc, etc etc

Conclusion: Leaf BIGGEST Mistake

A Fortune 500 company hiring a Clueless inexperienced greenhorn GM, that had no clue what he was doing who destroyed the Leafs best opportunity and Cup competitive window during the prime years of AM, MM and WN.

The leafs didn’t let Andersen walk. He didn’t want to be a maple leaf anymore. We saw in the documentary, he straight up didn’t want to play. How can you bring a guy a like that back into the locker room. Do or die playoff and he was okay with not playing.

The core 3 forwards were drafted BPA. There’s nothing Lou or Dubas really could have done about that. And the leafs hit correctly on those picks. where the leafs shit the bed was the supplemental picks in 2015/2016 where they truly could have built a more balanced core and it would have been easier to trade a core piece.

Taken one of Konecny, Aho or Carlo with our extra picks in 2015.

Korshkov over Debrincat/Lindgren in 2016

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Every team has missteps, some more than others.
What do you feel was the biggest mistake this team has made? (Limit your response to post lockout/salary cap introduction)

I can think of a bunch but not sure yet which I feel was the 'biggest'.

We needed to keep Lou Lamoriello as GM.

Toronto was too big of a spotlight for dubas and he ruined the potential we had by trying to be bros with the players.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Maybe we don’t get Mcdavid, but we could’ve gotten eichel who is/was clearly a better player especially when he was on Buffalo

Kaprizov, Rantanen, Aho, Eichel are all Marner level players. He isn’t the second or third, he’s around 4-6th.

It would’ve helped a lot to improve our odds and who knows what would’ve happened then.

Do you understand how a lottery works? You could tank and still end up with the 4th pick. Edmonton wasn’t even the worst team and got McDavid. So I’m not really understanding this tank harder because it wouldn’t haven’t guaranteed anything.

And Eichel was better than Marner on Buffalo? I rather have Marner than Eichel tbh. Kaprizov there’s an argument there. But id go McDavid, Rantanen, Marner, Kaprizov. I’d even take Aho ahead of Eichel.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It's a good question, if we can keep this out of deteriorating into a Lou vs Dubas (and now vs Dubas) debate.
  • I feel like signing Marleau to a three-year deal was a big mistake. I liked the signing but never liked the third year. Know, what did it cost us? Seth Jarvis, possibly. Would we have drafted Amirov in that slot anyway? Would we have got them both? No one knows, but that third year on Patty hurt us big time.
  • Letting Hyman walk. I was Ok with at the time and for a while I even thought Bunting was a good replacement. It's not just about the 50+ goals last year, if is also about keeping the right kind of players and building continuity in the program. It's hard to argue that we wouldn't have been better off with Hyman and two lower cost free agents, instead of Kampf, Ritchie, and Mrazek. We could have had Hyman, Bunting and any goalie...Mrazek, of course cost us a trade down out of the first round a year later.
Hindsight is 20/20, but these two moves hurt

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Good one too. We hear whispers of his influence that make you wonder.
1721839437711.png

Marner and Matthews were seemingly adopted by Marleau, his wife Christine, and their four hockey-playing sons. They were frequent visitors for dinners and other events at the Marleau house. “It was good too see that,” said Matthews. Oct 25, 2023

With so many youngsters shaping up the Leafs core, Marleau was an important figure to have on the team, as an experienced veteran, a proven offensive threat, and a mentor. His relationship with young superstars Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner was particularly noted. Jun 22, 2019

1721839507277.png
1721839539091.png

Matthews honours Marleau with All-star game tribute.

Auston Matthews wows San Jose crowd by unveiling Marleau jersey​

1721840113770.png

They may no longer be teammates, but they will remain friends forever. Or family… father/son… whatever. While there are many veteran/newcomer relationships in professional sports, this one was particularly special. If you don’t believe us, just take a look at a few of these highlights.

Last edited:

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Do you understand how a lottery works? You could tank and still end up with the 4th pick. Edmonton wasn’t even the worst team and got McDavid. So I’m not really understanding this tank harder because it wouldn’t haven’t guaranteed anything.

And Eichel was better than Marner on Buffalo? I rather have Marner than Eichel tbh. Kaprizov there’s an argument there. But id go McDavid, Rantanen, Marner, Kaprizov. I’d even take Aho ahead of Eichel.
Tanking increases the odds, doesn’t make it perfect but gives you a better chance. Moreover we’d maybe have gotten a better return for kessel if dealt earlier, we should’ve sold some other pieces to get more draft capital and maybe not end up with marner + bracco + dermott. That team was unremarkable at best, there should’ve been 0 attempt at making the playoffs when we had just drafted 8th overall last year

If you tank to last you get eichel, a better player is that hard?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
We needed to keep Lou Lamoriello as GM.

Toronto was too big of a spotlight for dubas and he ruined the potential we had by trying to be bros with the players.

What has Lou shown since leaving that you think this was a good idea?

26 of the last 31 cups have been won by GMs in their first NHL GM role.

I don't expect this to get much of a response...

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Could the JT signing have worked? Maybe if they had used either that great Kadri contract or Nylander to land that stud D via trade immediately. By holding on to the big 4 and Kadri as soon as summer 2019 they were in cap crunch mode which led to brutal trades like the Kadri for Barrie/Kerfoot, pay a 1st Jarvis to get out of Marleau, losing Hyman for nothing etc.

imo this was the plan. create a scenario where we have a surplus of top offensive talent to be able to attract a trade from another team for one of there top Defensive talents. something we had seen happen in the past with the Ryjo/Jones deal. Tavares signing was our chance to replace say a Kadri/Nylander who would be dealt in that scenario for free.

unfortunately Kadri did what he did and they felt forced to move him the following off season and now if they still got a quality top 4 guy in return they would have been fine instead that trade was a disaster. and that to me is the biggest failure of the current team because if that trade was for a quality Dmen who was a long term top 4 guy for us that would have changed a lot of the future moves. Barrie was a complete disaster tho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad