What The Hell Has Happened To The Florida Panthers?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
No surprises….pressure on a GM to win it all. Went all in and fell short

first off….you don’t trade 1sts without protections. when they acquired Reinhart post draft thry put protections on it. Thrn they acquire a rental who wasn’t worth a 1st by giving away an unprotected 1st.

then the rental D walks and they trade another is part of a trade. What do they have in D left?

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Maurice happened. Sh*t coach. Look what happened with the Jets and Laine and so on. How he handled talents like Heinola etc.
He just can't build chemistry between the best players.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
f***ing Maurice, it's amazing to me how untalented f*** up's keep getting a job in the NHL. Nothing to do with the f***ING OLD BOYS CLUB................. . Get your foot through that door and you're f***ing golden FOR LIFE. It's absolutely pathetic.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
f***ing Maurice, it's amazing to me how untalented f*** up's keep getting a job in the NHL. Nothing to do with the f***ING OLD BOYS CLUB................. . Get your foot through that door and you're f***ing golden FOR LIFE. It's absolutely pathetic.
posting this at 4 am just after xmas is bad for your health
:partytime:

*edit, 11 am in Finland :)

still bad for your health (Maurice does suck)

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Last season they had a stellar regular season record and were the highest-scoring team in decades. Now they're under .500 heading into Christmas.

Yes, they lost Huberdeau, but they acquired Tkachuk and he's been better this season (although probably not as good as Huberdeau was last season). They've also lost Weegar and Marchment. I don't think these subtractions alone explain their immense drop-off, however.

What's wrong?

They are also down Anthony Duclair, Claude Giroux and Ben Chariot and Ekblad, who was nearly a point a game last year, is producing at a much lower rate due to injuries and has missed a lot of games.

That being said, I think it's extremely foolish to look at the standings at Christmas and arrive at any kind of conclusions about how good or how bad any given team is.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
He talks reel gud

He doesn't, though. He's the NHL head coaching version of Ron Maclean. Homilies, cliches and homespun anecdotes with frequent excursions into bullshit. Pundits who are used to monosyllabic, cliché-spouting and outright hostile coaches have anointed PoMo as a Toastmaster-in-Chief and a brilliant communicator when he is IMO nothing of the sort, at least insofar as engaging usefully and productively with his players (and not just a small, hand-picked leadership group) is concerned. He's a bog-standard average coach who can bring some positive attributes to a struggling team but isn't going to take a good one over the top -- all IMO, of course.

A while back an HFJets board poster set out the difference between a coach who is an effective communicator, and a coach who is an orator. One is a teacher who actually talks with and learns from his players; the other just talks at them (and to the world).

I don't follow FLA and know little about this year's team, except that it's arguably weaker than last year's and is dealing with significant injuries. So maybe their new coach isn't actually hurting the team, but after watching him at work for years I doubt he's helping them much.

They have been a fun team to watch for a while now before this season. Hopefully they get back on that track.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I've said it before and I will say it again, I think the Panthers are f***ed.

I think they probably miss the playoffs this year but will make it once or twice in the next 4 years and do little.

You're paying your backup goalie 10 million dollars, have no 1st round picks until 2026, have a poor defense, and a one dimensional offence.

Everyone was on Florida's dick when they did the low rent tryout thing with a whole bunch of offensively skilled players who had stumbled and it was a clever way to do a quick reboot. But they also ended up with the Anthony Duclairs of the world who need to be insulated by a grinding, puck retrieval team, not thrown into a pile with a bunch of clones. Their game not thriving in the playoffs should have been predictable in retrospect (though I admit I thought they were 50/50 to beat Tampa going into that series, I felt like Carolina would smash them).

I respect Zito making the move to get Tkachuk and get away from two upcoming contracts he didn't like in Huberdeau (whom I have always liked) and Weegar, but to have no plan to replace Weegar when you've given up all of your future first round picks? What was he hoping for?

Barkov is an absolute stud superstar and he carries this team to being a lot better than they have any right to be.
If they can add another two top 4 D then they will be dangerous again, but I'm not sure how they can. Canucks are in a similar predicament (though we're obviously worse) and it's proven incredibly difficult to address.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
From Presidents trophy winners to last place holders in their division.

brunette.jpg
pm.jpg

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
They badly miss Huberdeau. :cf:
They have no mojo without him. They lost core pieces, lost their coach, lost depth to injury. "Comeback cats" had swagger and chemistry. Now they have a s***-disturber that is supposed to "drag his teammates into the fight" but nobody wants to back him up in scrums lmao

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Panthers hired the coach who's lost the most games in NHL history and people wonder why they're losing.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
From Presidents trophy winners to last place holders in their division.

View attachment 627336View attachment 627337
Hey, we have last place in the division thank you, Florida can stay right in 2nd last.

Honestly though I do think they rebound when they get out of cap hell this summer but if Maurice is still there next year they’re gonna struggle again, it’s kinda crazy too that Florida only didn’t lottery protect the chariot deal. The other side of that coin though is that when you map out the Calgary/Philly and Habs deals it’s a pile of spaghetti too figure out so had to start somewhere

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Last season they had a stellar regular season record and were the highest-scoring team in decades. Now they're under .500 heading into Christmas.

Yes, they lost Huberdeau, but they acquired Tkachuk and he's been better this season (although probably not as good as Huberdeau was last season). They've also lost Weegar and Marchment. I don't think these subtractions alone explain their immense drop-off, however.

What's wrong?
And I think they do. Clearly that is the case based on how much they've dropped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad