What team is having a better off-season than the New Jersey Devils?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Holland managed to trade Lucic without retaining 50% and including an unprotected 1st, that’s good, but the Devils have had a wicked offseason (being terrible the year before helps lol) and will be an exciting team to watch for sure!

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Lol, losing leadership fans on here can’t see cause they’re not in the room it goes a long way in Marleau and hainsey. They’ve given up six guys who have scored twenty goals or
More in the last year in bozak jvr konorov brown Marleau kadri not to mention a high offensive defensemen in Gardiner.

They lost the sandpaper they had in kadri as well as a guy who could score thirty goals in the fight setting and the best two way center they had.

They also got rid of a ton of depth defensemen, replaces a broken down ennis with a broken down spezza (probably a slight upgrade), Dubas continues to overpay his players and become terrible in negotiations, while Babcock has lost the trust of the fanbase and the Players.

Yeah borgman, Rosen, Zaitsev hainsey and Gardiner weren’t the best but it’s a lot of moves and changes to take time to adding Barrie and ceci.

Then there’s kerfoot. And the ongoing Marner thing.

Taking into account everything I’m not even sure this team is any better on paper or the ice, and I didn’t even get into throwing away some pucks and a legit back up in mciilehney and now even sparks.

So you saying the leafs off-season has been a dream is quuuuite the stretch my man.

Did you mean you dreamt about the leafs off season being better? Because that would make more sense

There was some shuffling with their team and everybody knew there would be. Id say that considering we all knew that and we knew they would have a tough summer with the cap, I think they made out pretty well compared to what people thought. I think there are arguments to be had that they improved their team, but I think you made a decent argument why they didnt. I think that alone to me makes it out to be better than many thought. Many just predicted doom and gloom for them. Dubas did alright.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I think Buffalo has done well this off season for a homer vote but just look at the moves, it’s pretty great.

Traded a guy who can’t even score in the ahl for a top four dman in Henri Jokiharju. Just trading for him would be a big deal but everyone in here would say it would take at least Reinhart or mittlestadt to get him. So a huge win there

Fired Phil Housley.

Hired a great motivator and only guy to have some success with that horrid Oiler Team in Ralph Krueger. The jury still is still out on him of course but he has to be an improvement on the last two.....especially since the team Will Be better or should be then before.

Drafting Dylan Cozens at seven is solid.

Taking the fourty goal scorer skinner out of free agency after many said he’s never resign with buffalo, his spot with Eichel and the teams Hopeful outlook they have, as well as being close to home likely influenced his decision. Not to mention the pricey deal, probably overpaid but we couldn’t lose this guy and we didn’t, even bigger win knowing we traded him for Pu.

Signing Marcus Johansson a ufa every team
Would want in their top 6 or top 9 if you’re a really deep team. Bruins fans raved about him and he’s always been a great player.

Trading a third for vesey is a decent risk but kind of meh. We need depth any way we can get it so this is a good move.

-added Ryan Johnson as our second first round pick (31st overall) a dman many said could go as high as 20 and this was apart of the ROR trade, while awful this makes it look at least Somewhat better even if it Will Always be a loss, adding Colin Miller who is also now apart of the ROR deal as a third pairing dman, Solid addition.

So yeah Colin Miller.

-Pliut when healthy will be a big impact but boterill teally needs to start Trading defensemen there’s way too many.

-Olofsson and UPL are signed and ready to rock (Olofsson anyway, upl will be a bit perhaps, it’s huttons last year so maybe he joins Ullmark next year as the back up to begin)

Might be forgetting some but I’ll just Summarize it again here below, only this time shortly incase didn’t want to read my opinions above next to
The moves:

buffalo as a homer vote has done well but not New Jersey or rangers well....the moves:

-Jokiharju for Alex flippin Nylander

-taking skinner out of free agency (after adding him for Pu)

-Marcus Johansson

-Housley Out :Krueger in

-Jimmy vesey

-Colin Miller

-UPL, Olofsson, Pulit signed and on the way and each could be vital to the sabres for the next ten years if all break out as expected.

-Cozens, Johnson drafted 7th and 31st

I mean that’s very good. Not
Top of the line but very good
As a homer vote or as any vote in general. Add a years experience To dahlin, Eichel getting better and better as is Reinhart statistically and mittlestadt who even in games he didn’t get points was strong and improved s the year went on, Ullmark also with a year experience could and should help things. just the divisin is rough, at best we get the fourth or fifth spot and at worst probably seventh.

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I agree NYR and NJ are having good offseasons, but until it translates, it doesnt mean a whole lot.

Time will tell if NYR regrets giving Panarin that much money too. Very expensive contractor for a very long time.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
There was some shuffling with their team and everybody knew there would be. Id say that considering we all knew that and we knew they would have a tough summer with the cap, I think they made out pretty well compared to what people thought. I think there are arguments to be had that they improved their team, but I think you made a decent argument why they didnt. I think that alone to me makes it out to be better than many thought. Many just predicted doom and gloom for them. Dubas did alright.

No I get that, I actually like the model
Of having a core of six guys and adding around that, so your right in saying Dubas did alright INO that’s how I’d build a team with that model.

But the guy I quoted said it was a dream so that’s why I posted that. Trying to add some objectivity.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I think Buffalo has done well this off season for a homer vote but just look at the moves, it’s pretty great.

Traded a guy who can’t even score in the ahl for a top four dman in Henri Jokiharju. Just trading for him would be a big deal but everyone in here would say it would take at least Reinhart or mittlestadt to get him. So a huge win there

Fired Phil Housley.

Hired a great motivator and only guy to have some success with that horrid Oiler
Team in Ralph Krueger. The jury still isnout but he has to be an improvement on the last two especially since the team Will Be better or should be then before.

Drafting Dylan Cozens at seven is solid.

Taking the fourty goal scorer skinner out of free agency after many said he’s never resign with buffalo, his spot with Eichel and the teams Hopeful outlook they have, as well as being close to home likely influenced his decision. Not to mention the pricey deal, probably overpaid but we couldn’t lose this guy and we didn’t, even bigger win knowing we traded him for Pu.

Signing Marcus Johansson a ufa every team
Would want in their top 6 or top 9 if you’re a really deep team. Bruins fans raved about him and he’s always been a great player.

Trading a third for vesey is a decent risk but kind of meh. We need depth any way we can get it so this is a good move.

-added Ryan Johnson as our last first round pick (31st overall) a dman many said could go as high as 20 and this was apart of the ROR trade, while awful this makes it look at least Somewhat better even if it Will Always be a loss, adding Colin Miller who is also now apart of the ROR deal as a third pairing dman, Solid addition.

-Pliut when healthy will be a big impact but boterill teally needs to start Trading defensemen there’s way too many.

-Olofsson and UPL are signed and ready to rock (Olofsson anyway, upl will be a bit perhaps, it’s huttons last year so maybe he joins Ullmark next year as the back up to begin)

Might be forgetting some but

Tl ;Dr

buffalo as a homer vote has been well but not New Jersey or rangers well

-Jokiharju for Alex flippin Nylander

-taking skinner out of free agency (after adding him for Pu)

-Marcus Johansson

-Housley Out :Krueger in

-Jimmy vesey

-Colin Miller

-UPL, Olofsson, Pulit signed and on the way and each could be vital to the sabres for the next ten years if all break out as expected.

-Cozens, Johnson drafted 7th and 31st

I mean that’s very good. Not
Top of the line but very good
As a homer vote or as any vote in general. Add a years experience To dahlin, Eichel getting better and better as is Reinhart statistically and mittlestadt who even in games he didn’t get points was strong and improved s the year went on, Ullmark also with a year experience could and should help things. just the divisin is rough, at best we get the fourth or fifth spot and at worst probably seventh.
Lol this is nothing compared to what NYR and the Devs did this offseason.

Mojo is good when healthy, but consistently puts himself in awful situations. He is one or two concussions away from being toast. Heck, he even got rocked in the playoffs a couple times. There is a reason he signed a 2 year deal and couldn't get longer term.

Vesey is an average 3rd liner.

Miller is a #4.

Couple the above with the other offseason moves and it still isn't remotely close to the adds by NYR and NJD.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Leafs offseason has been a dream so far. Did everything HF said they couldn't
giphy.gif

Leaf dreams:

Paying a first to get rid of Marleau
Re-aquiring Clarksson
Signing Ceci when you could have let him walk
Having Marner unsigned into August

My thoughts exactly.

source.gif

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Lol this is nothing compared to what NYR and the Devs did this offseason.

Mojo is good when healthy, but consistently puts himself in awful situations. He is one or two concussions away from being toast. Heck, he even got rocked in the playoffs a couple times. There is a reason he signed a 2 year deal and couldn't get longer term.

Vesey is an average 3rd liner.

Miller is a #4.

Couple the above with the other offseason moves and it still isn't remotely close to the adds by NYR and NJD.

Ugh.

Dude I even said most of the Things you did and admitted Miller was a bottom pairing defensemen and vesey was meh.

You literally didn’t read a word I wrote since I even wrote this wasn’t comparable to the rangers or devils but still a good off season and a homer vote! Get a grip..... Maybe try and read before you come back with insults that were actually already said by me and not necessary.

Who cares if MJ is almost toast he’s not toast and very effective, nice of you to forget about skinner for Pu, and taking a 40 goal scorer out of free agency, and adding Jokiharju for Alex I can’t score in the ahl Nylander whilst getting rid of the worst head coach in nhl history (up there)

and bringing in a good motivator as well in coach K fas well as the hurricanes goalie coach who works wonders last year with MC and mrzark and drafting two first rounders Cozens and Johnson’s

He also add montour a few months ago and I think he will be even better with a full training camp with the guys and a full season.

Tons of young guys coming in too Olofsson pilut and UPL as well as Ullmark mittlestadt and dahlin all with a years experience and Eichel and Reinhart who get better every year.

Even drafted two first rounders in cozen and johnson.

So I was looking at all that too and even admitted it was a homer vote and not near NJ and NYR if you only read the post, also if you only read my post you’d see I don’t expect them to even Make The playoffs, but you probably didn’t even read this either. Or you wouldn’t of felt the need to go LOL these guys suck lol LOLLz.

Those who think buffalo didn’t have a good off season I’m sorry but they have to be sabres haters.
It wasn’t top five off season but it was very solid and could compete with almost anyone after the top few teams since most teams in this league
Did less then buffalo this off season.

Last edited:
Reactions: lauraP

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You can make a strong argument for Florida they upgraded their goaltending forwards and defense and gave up literally nothing to do it.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
They've had a great summer, but what they do or do not with Hall is everything for me. If they re-sign him ,awesome. If they lose him for nothing and miss the playoffs or even lose in rd1, then its a loss for them.

But one year of Hall with Hughes could drastically help his development so who knows.

But overall, they went from a bad team to a bubble team. Lets not pump their tires too much. Losing Hall will send them right back to a lottery team unless Gusev goes off.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) CHIEF KEEFE
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
You want me to explain how the guy who had 6 full seasons, and 2 half seasons, all full seasons with a +/- minus in double digits, (which doesn't mean too much, but it's fancy), and helped carry the back-end to conference finals and a Stanley cup appearance turned out fantastic for us? You may be all ears, but I'm not sure about the brain.

As for posters acting rationally, what did you expect with your initial post, your response, and then posting a photo of what your remember McDonagh for?

yikes. don’t see how my mcdonagh nonsense correlates to my *actual* intelligence, but ok.

keep it easy. it’s almost as if you guys can’t take banter after spending literally a decade trying to propagate the henrik being more elite than marty charade. not saying that that’s even the topic here, just saying it goes both ways and you should lighten up.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
You want me to explain how the guy who had 6 full seasons, and 2 half seasons, all full seasons with a +/- minus in double digits, (which doesn't mean too much, but it's fancy), and helped carry the back-end to conference finals and a Stanley cup appearance turned out fantastic for us? You may be all ears, but I'm not sure about the brain.

As for posters acting rationally, what did you expect with your initial post, your response, and then posting a photo of what your remember McDonagh for?

You're right, McDonagh was a great defenseman, and congratulations on redirecting the conversation from Gomez, who was a terrible FA signing, to the guy The Rangers turned him into because of the idiocy of Montreal's front office. That's like saying the Devils drafting Larsson 4th overall (terrible) worked out great because Edmonton traded an elite forward for him. That doesn't make the pick itself any better.

Reactions: New Jersey

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
They've had a great summer, but what they do or do not with Hall is everything for me. If they re-sign him ,awesome. If they lose him for nothing and miss the playoffs or even lose in rd1, then its a loss for them.

But one year of Hall with Hughes could drastically help his development so who knows.

But overall, they went from a bad team to a bubble team. Lets not pump their tires too much. Losing Hall will send them right back to a lottery team unless Gusev goes off.

Sans Hall they have a good young core (Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Blackwood, Zacha, Wood, Smith, McLeod, Anderson) but definitely will need more top end defensive prospects. I'm very jealous of Colorado in that regard.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
yikes. don’t see how my mcdonagh nonsense correlates to my *actual* intelligence, but ok.

keep it easy. it’s almost as if you guys can’t take banter after spending literally a decade trying to propagate the henrik being more elite than marty charade. not saying that that’s even the topic here, just saying it goes both ways and you should lighten up.

Can you imagine how salty you'd be if your team had one cup since the advent of network television?

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
You're right, McDonagh was a great defenseman, and congratulations on redirecting the conversation from Gomez, who was a terrible FA signing, to the guy The Rangers turned him into because of the idiocy of Montreal's front office. That's like saying the Devils drafting Larsson 4th overall (terrible) worked out great because Edmonton traded an elite forward for him. That doesn't make the pick itself any better.

Gomez was good for the Rangers...

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
St Louis is obviously having the best offseason travelling around with Lord Stanley's Cup:thumbu:

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
Gomez signed a Panarin contract, 14.5% of the cap for seven years. You're going to be happy if Panarin scores 70 points next year and 58 points the year after? Rangers fans were howling, the league was laughing at them. Montreal bailed them out big time, it was one of the worst trades I've ever seen.

He scored at a 0.82 PPG pace including 16 pts in 17 playoff games for a team that was 2nd to last in scoring. The 08/09 team was particularly f***ing horrible. He was good for the Rangers

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
a sub-30 year old scott gomez scored for the rangers at only a 0.12 ppg clip better than a 40+ year old jaromir jagr did for the devils. :laugh:

Jagr is a f***ing freak of nature. Plus, Gomez was just as productive as Jagr in 07/08

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad