What team is having a better off-season than the New Jersey Devils?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) CHIEF KEEFE
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
The fact that you cant think of a good reply and have to reach all the way back to 2012 for a comeback is hilarious and sad at the same time, and it really speaks volumes of the sad state of affairs the Devils have been in for what is essentially a decade of being at the bottom. Little brother complex is real with some NJ fans ITT

cool bro

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
imagine being a blackhawks fan and saying this about a team that hasn't averaged less than 14,000 fans/game since 1993...

Thats a heavily sugarcoated way of saying Jersey is in the bottom 5 for attendance. Lol @ using 14,000 as a bench mark for good attendance. All that really stated is that Jersey has trouble getting a sellout. The fact that you couldnt even hit 90% attendance in a season you made the finals is all that really needs to be said.
Are you more sore over 2000, 2012, or last season when the Devils edged the Panthers to get into the 'yoffs?

And people said Habs fans have a bad tendency of being stuck in the past...

Last edited:

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I'd say the Rangers did better, but not by a lot. Having the 2nd best off-season in the league isn't something to be upset about either.

The Rangers lost Hayes, Zuccarello, Shattenkirk and might lose Kreider. Easily the Devils.

Hayes and Zuccarello were traded last year for assets, they weren't lost and it definitely wasn't this off-season. Kreider is still on the team. Shattenkirk was bought out on purpose because he's not very good.

What the hell are you on about?

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I'd say the Rangers did better, but not by a lot. Having the 2nd best off-season in the league isn't something to be upset about either.

Hayes and Zuccarello were traded last year for assets, they weren't lost and it definitely wasn't this off-season. Kreider is still on the team. Shattenkirk was bought out on purpose because he's not very good.

You literally used the 1st rounder from Hayes to get Trouba. Good lord.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
You literally used the 1st rounder from Hayes to get Trouba. Good lord.

"You"? I'm not a Rangers fan or affiliated with them.

Also, what does that have to do with my post whatsoever? Poster I responded to said they lost Hayes in a topic talking about what team has had the best off-season.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
"You"? I'm not a Rangers fan or affiliated with them.

Also, what does that have to do with my post whatsoever? Poster I responded to said they lost Hayes in a topic talking about what team has had the best off-season.

Pretending that Hayes, Zuccarello, et al. aren't losses because they happened while other teams were still competing for the playoffs is stupid. The Rangers off-season effectively began when they traded off their vets for picks and prospects.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Not gonna read anything else and I know the talk is about the Devils vs Rangers so here goes.
The Rangers definitely got better players than the Devils this offseason, with Panarin being the best player of the bunch by quite a long shot. Trouba is no slouch either, but I, like many others, am wondering whether he will be able to handle being the #1 guy. Kakko will likely be a huge addition and will be great playing alongside Zibanajed.
The Devils also added some pretty good players as well. They finally got a #2 center in Hughes who should be good for 55-60 points, and will no longer force Zajac/Zacha to play above their role. They got Subban on the cheap, who will become their best defenseman, but we still have to determine whether Subban can rebound from his down year. Gusev is obviously another wild card in the situation, but being conservative, I'd say he is a guy who will probably put up 15-25-40, which is a nice addition to the top six. Simmonds is pretty much here to play a similar role to Boyle imo. Big, physical guy and a nice net front presence on the powerplay, but nothing more than that.
Now, my biggest issue in this debate is the subtractions. The Devils lost nobody while the Rangers lost both Zuccarello and Hayes. While I do understand that both players got overpaid, those are still two good players that the team is now missing because of their departure.
I think both teams had pretty comparable offseasons. It is hard to put one ahead of the other, as they most definitely had two of the best offseasons in the league. The Devils still need another top pairing defenseman, and the Rangers still need a top 6 center. I guess the season will truly show which team came out on top.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto

Post last seasons opening lineup then. They were on the team for most of last season unless you forgot. Then we should forget most of last season too then according to you? Did you purposely ignore "might" in front of Kreider? Shattenkirk had injury issues and well definitely be better next year. Can't say the same for Smith and Staal.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
i dont think toronto had a good or a bad offseason

team looks pretty similar on paper in terms of being competitive.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) CHIEF KEEFE
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Thats a heavily sugarcoated way of saying Jersey is in the bottom 5 for attendance. Lol @ using 14,000 as a bench mark for good attendance. All that really stated is that Jersey has trouble getting a sellout. The fact that you couldnt even hit 90% attendance in a season you made the finals is all that really needs to be said.

you would know, you drew less than that three times this century before wirtz' son took over.

also, they operated at 97% following the cup run and lockout. if we were gonna lose this team, it would have happened by now. sick burns, though.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
i dont think toronto had a good or a bad offseason

team looks pretty similar on paper in terms of being competitive.

I agree on a transaction-based metric, but their core players are another year older and better. They'll be better simply on internal development.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Only team I can think of is the Cleveland Browns. NJD have had a very nice offseason.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Jack Hughes with the beer league shot? That Jack Hughes?

I can understand not sharing the majority opinion that the Devils had a good offseason and can understand you thinking they have major holes in the lineup. That said, every comment you make sounds like you have a personal vendetta against the Devils. It's really taking away from any valid argument you may have.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I can understand not sharing the majority opinion that the Devils had a good offseason and can understand you thinking they have major holes in the lineup. That said, every comment you make sounds like you have a personal vendetta against the Devils. It's really taking away from any valid argument you may have.

So you think Jack Hughes has an NHL quality shot?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
So you think Jack Hughes has an NHL quality shot?

I'm generally not one to answer a question with a question so I'll first say yes, I think he has an NHL level shot, even if it's average.

Now let me pose a question: Do you think Hughes shot is only beer league level? I'd love to see Hughes against a few Beer league goalies.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I love seeing NJ as active as they were but their goalie situation isnt good and will cause alot of stress amongst fans once the season gets going.

But as far as it goes for whos had the best offseason, for me it is NYR and it is not even close

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad