What team is having a better off-season than the New Jersey Devils?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Panthers, Rangers, Canucks.

The Devils defense and goaltending is putrid. Adding Gusev and "skating on stilts" Simmonds isn't gonna help that.

Reactions: Voight

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Leafs offseason has been a dream so far. Did everything HF said they couldn't

Leaf dreams:

Paying a first to get rid of Marleau
Re-aquiring Clarksson
Signing Ceci when you could have let him walk
Having Marner unsigned into aAugust

I know Leafs fans like to lower the bar until they can just step over it, but come on. Dumping Zaitsev was a good move. The Kapanen and Johnsson deals were solid. Barrie is good but doesn't fill a need and Kadri was the only skilled forward with any snarl. Leafs summer has been average at best.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
According to who?

Fox is a holdout who has cried his way to a team he wants. Nothing about his stats says top-10 anything

His production in the NCAA among the best of all time and his development along with DeAngelo is one of the top priorities this season. And between them and the addition of Trouba there was no room for Shattenkirk.

Shattenkirk was an awful fit when we signed him and an even worse fit now

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
His production in the NCAA among the best of all time and his development along with DeAngelo is one of the top priorities this season. And between them and the addition of Trouba there was no room for Shattenkirk.

Shattenkirk was an awful fit when we signed him and an even worse fit now
And where is this information stating he is an all-time scorer?

Not to mention Im sure if we pull up the list some of the names near him are probably nobodies. Just like the Baker award, scoring titles in the NCAA tend to mean nothing

Reactions: Voight

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'll echo above sentiments. Rangers might have challenged, but I think buying out Shattenkirk was misguided. You can't ignore that they lost a few pretty nice pieces as well.

Leaf dreams:

Re-aquiring Clarksson

I know Leafs fans like to lower the bar until they can just step over it, but come on. Dumping Zaitsev was a good move. The Kapanen and Johnsson deals were solid. Barrie is good but doesn't fill a need and Kadri was the only skilled forward with any snarl. Leafs summer has been average at best.
Just a few points:

- Clarkson is actually a positive for our cap situation, allowing us to maximize use of LTIR.
- Barrie fills a huge need, as our right side defense was an achilles heel for us. We desperately needed both quality and puck-moving ability on that side, and Barrie provides both.
- The difficulty of our cap situation can't be understated, and we got past it at the cost of a 1st. Could have been much worse.

But yeah. If we walk into next season with Ceci and Harpur as regulars, I wouldn't give it a better verdict than 'better than expected, way beyond feared'. I'm an optimistic guy, and my expectation was getting through this offseason with all core pieces intact but weaker than last year. Instead, we're of a similar strength. Hard not to be satisfied.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
And where is this information stating he is an all-time scorer?

Not to mention Im sure if we pull up the list some of the names near him are probably nobodies. Just like the Baker award, scoring titles in the NCAA tend to mean nothing

Then I guess following this logic there is no reason to be excited for Gusev since I pull up the list of names near him in the KHL scoring list and I see NHL legends like Grigorenko, Linus Omark, Taylor Beck and Matt Frattin

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Its not in any way shape or form a waste of cap space when the Devils have an abundance of if

If my team has 4 first rounds and they trade one for a 4th liner, is the trade not as bad because we had an abundance of first rounders?

Regardless, a guy like Gusev would have been better off a 1-2 million prove it deal. Devils will need cap space next summer for Hall + Hischier.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Yeah I think it's either us or the Rangers - you can make a solid argument for either. Which is great for the rivalry and bad news for the entire Metro, including each other. It's going to be a bloodbath.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
If my team has 4 first rounds and they trade one for a 4th liner, is the trade not as bad because we had an abundance of first rounders?

Regardless, a guy like Gusev would have been better off a 1-2 million prove it deal. Devils will need cap space next summer for Hall + Hischier.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

$4m for a guy dominating the KHL is not the same thing as giving away a 1st for 4th liner.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Then I guess following this logic there is no reason to be excited for Gusev since I pull up the list of names near him in the KHL scoring list and I see NHL legends like Grigorenko, Linus Omark, Taylor Beck and Matt Frattin
Again, where is this list of NCAA all time scoring?

And where did I say Gusev was a top-10 anything? I didnt.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Simmonds is done. He wasn't veyr good for the flyers and sucked for the Preds. Not only has age broken down his game, but the style and pace of the modern game has moved on from where he is relevant. I fail to see how he moves the needle.

Subban, injuries and decline. He was never good defensively which is what the Devils really needed, and last year if he was a #1... It was just. There is a reason why the Preds moved on from him, and it's that the writing is on the wall with his game.

Otherwise, some draft picks. 1 player is not going to come in and turn a bottom feeder into a playoff team. There are several teams who had better offseasons IMO. Not to say many teams added more talent, but a lot of teams didn't need to add that much talent, just navigate other factors of managing competitive rosters.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Leaf dreams:

Re-aquiring Clarksson

giphy.gif

Potentially the most biased or uninformed take, I can't tell which, I have read in a few days at least. You've (I suspect purposefully) misrepresented all of the moves to fit a narrative.

"Good luck signing all your players with no cap space and fixing the defense"

* Dubas trades a first, signs everyone, moves money from F to D (as people have been saying needs to happen for years), retools the defense and greatly improves the RD *

"No not like that".

As for the Marner dig, several teams in that boat. It's a reality of the new RFA market, not on Dubas. If he wanted to he could have signed him to the Matthews deal already. Why not wait till camp and see if you can bring him down?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Depends on perspective.

See, the Oilers were in a pit of fire, while it was raining fire, and they were being attacked by ninjas who were also on fire.

But then they got rid of Chia, and got Holland, and managed to get out of the Lucic contract.

So now we're just sorta like, in a pit of fire still, but it stopped raining fire, and theres no more ninjas on fire...
...and we have some semblance of hope we might possibly get out of it eventually?

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
I think the Leafs have had a very solid offseason, definitely one of the top 5 in the league. They traded all the dead weight they needed to and only gave up a 1st round pick, addressed their need of a top pairing right handed defenseman, got Kapanen and Johnsson signed to very solid deals, and added a good veteran 4C in Spezza which was lacking last season. All that’s left is Marner but a very solid offseason. Rangers have had the best offseason though.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Again, where is this list of NCAA all time scoring?

And where did I say Gusev was a top-10 anything? I didnt.

Fox (48 points, 9-39-48) had a historic season for Harvard as one of the top blue liners in the nation…Skated in all 33 games for Harvard…An AHCA/CCM First Team All-American, Hobey Baker Award Hat Trick finalist, the 2019 Walter Brown Award winner, ECAC Hockey Player of the Year, ECAC Hockey First Team and Ivy League Player of the Year selection…The top scoring player and defenseman (per game) in the country with 1.45 points per game…An Academic All-Ivy honoree, Fox broke the school record for points by a Harvard defenseman in one season, set by Mark Fusco '83, who had 46 points (13-33-46) in 1982-83…Became the fourth defenseman in Harvard history to reach 100 career points, joining Fusco (135 points), Mark Benning '87 (111 points), and Randy Taylor '87 (102 points). He is the first junior defenseman in college hockey to reach 100 points since Justin Schultz (Wisconsin) in 2011-12

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Thats not what I meant.

Just because you have an abundance of something doesn't mean you need to use it and doesn't make decision any less better.

You do use it if it’s just going to sit there anyway and you’re trying to show your star player that you’re trying to make the team as good as possible.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
You do use it if it’s just going to sit there anyway and you’re trying to show your star player that you’re trying to make the team as good as possible.

Could save it in case another Subban-esque deal pops up where you can get a good player for cheap because you have the cap space.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Canucks and Panthers hahahahah

Thanks for that. Go ahead and even try to explain that

Did you think getting Subban was plus?

Panthers added one of the best goalies in the league. The Devils have....god I don’t even know. Is Cory Schneider still a thing?

Canucks got JT Miller, Myers, Benn, Ferland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad