Speculation: What Tampa gonna do with their contract situations the next two seasons?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
What would Tampa want for Johnson from Minnesota after the drafts next year?

Edit: On second thought not sure there's a deal to be made there. Dumba has potential but hasn't lived up to it yet, and Minnesota doesn't have much else to offer that would interest us enough to trade our 1C (in everything but name) and second best playoff scorer behind Kucherov. If we move Johnson we can get a better price elsewhere.

Last edited:

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Edit: On second thought not sure there's a deal to be made there. Dumba has potential but hasn't lived up to it yet, and Minnesota doesn't have much else to offer that would interest us enough to trade our 1C (in everything but name) and second best playoff scorer behind Kucherov. If we move Johnson we can get a better price elsewhere.

Reasonable. I was thinking spurgeon would be the best fit. Good #2 guy that moves the puck well. More valuable than dumba imo. If either dumba our brodin breaks out I'd be willing to trade him, but I agree that neither work at the moment.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
They just signed Killorn. They're not trading him. Using that logic, we should trade Vasilevskiy and keep Bishop. Make sense?

Trade Filps, buyout Callahan and listen cautiously to Johnson's demands. If he wants over 6M, sorry, he will be the casualty among our unsigned core talent.

buyout callahan ? did you see that contract ?

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Some of you thinking that dropping Callahan and dropping Filppula is going to solve everything, I guarantee it won't be that easy. They're going to need a good amount of money, these guys won't come cheap.

Trade Bishop, get rid of Filp, let Johnson or Palat walk is what is going to happen. Re-sign Kuch and Drouin most importantly. They'll then still have Hedman, Kucherov, Stamkos, Killorn, Palat/Johnson, Drouin long term.

It sucks, but they're still a powerhouse. Vladdy is underrated and is a great skater and can take a 3C or 2C in time.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The cap comes calling for everyone eventually. It's death by a thousand cuts when you're trying to win and have to sign guys as you win. You can think about all the possible scenarios all day, but it never ends up going down the exact path you think it will. We'll let that guy go, we'll trade that guy, this guy will sign for this amount, we have this young guy in the minors, etc. The cap comes calling for everyone eventually.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
The cap comes calling for everyone eventually. It's death by a thousand cuts when you're trying to win and have to sign guys as you win. You can think about all the possible scenarios all day, but it never ends up going down the exact path you think it will. We'll let that guy go, we'll trade that guy, this guy will sign for this amount, we have this young guy in the minors, etc. The cap comes calling for everyone eventually.

Yeah, we're definitely going to lose people we don't want to lose. Hopefully we can win some championships along the way to ease our pain.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
The premise of this thread is that Yzerman should try to keep all his best forwards. I think it would be unwise. The smartest move is to trade one of them for prospects and picks. The Chicago model is a bad one. I know, people say they have made it work but the Kane/Toews contracts just kicked in last year and they got lucky finding Panarin. Chicago currently has 11 guys on the roster making between $575k and $875k. That is not a recipe for success. There is no middle class and good players coming off ELC can’t be retained. I say the smartest thing Yzerman could do would be to avoid the Chicago model.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

I'd love to get Tuch for Tyler, though i'd imagine that'll get some pushback from the Wild fans here.

Oh also, Sustr and Nesterov will be gone. They're essentially cheap and replacement level players, if not slightly better at times, but fully replaceable.

Johnson I think will be the likeliest to go out of that group, as well. Palat plays an almost Selke-level wing for us with some scoring, and generally stays healthy. Our wingers behind all of these guys project decently, but no guarantee - Yan looks like a steal so far, Erne still has high hopes because of his draft position and playing style, the rest from there leave a little something to be desired. For that reason, Kuch and Palat will stay at a minimum.

Behind Johnson we have Point, Peca, Stephens, Howden, and more. Little bit of a log jam, though we can take our time with the smaller guys adjusting (Peca, Point).

Ideally moving Johnson would mean a winger or defender coming back.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Moving on from Bishop after (or during) this season will help the overall cap situation of the team. Vasilevsky won't get that same huge contract. At least not for a few seasons.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Coburn's NTC starts 2018-2019 as per capfriendly.com, so they could probably dump him too?

edit: I replied before I saw this was a three-page thread.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
I'd love to get Tuch for Tyler, though i'd imagine that'll get some pushback from the Wild fans here.

Oh also, Sustr and Nesterov will be gone. They're essentially cheap and replacement level players, if not slightly better at times, but fully replaceable.

Johnson I think will be the likeliest to go out of that group, as well. Palat plays an almost Selke-level wing for us with some scoring, and generally stays healthy. Our wingers behind all of these guys project decently, but no guarantee - Yan looks like a steal so far, Erne still has high hopes because of his draft position and playing style, the rest from there leave a little something to be desired. For that reason, Kuch and Palat will stay at a minimum.

Behind Johnson we have Point, Peca, Stephens, Howden, and more. Little bit of a log jam, though we can take our time with the smaller guys adjusting (Peca, Point).

Ideally moving Johnson would mean a winger or defender coming back.
I'd easily put tuch on the table for Johnson.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
NMC's are on only an issue because of the expansion draft. Players also waive there's a lot so not that big of a deal. After the expansion draft passes players like Filpulla will have more value if they're not selected as they have a short deal and you don't have to worry about saving a spot for them. I can see Vegas not draft him but want him in a trade for the right price because he would help the team be respectable then he will be a hot commodity at the trade deadline and they can get some good assets for him.

But Filpulla would still have a NMC and be in control of his destiny...

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
But Filpulla would still have a NMC and be in control of his destiny...

He will have a year left on his deal, he has been passed on the depth chart already so if he wants to cash in on another big deal getting top 6 minutes on Vegas might be the way to go. Yzerman is probably already pushing him to waive and most players will waive if asked.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
i think yzerman can push all he wants in some cases but its not gonna help him. if a guy is comfortable there with a nmc or modified ntc they'll make difficult for him to make deals. i think he painted himself into a corner . almost like he used the wrong paint.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
i think yzerman can push all he wants in some cases but its not gonna help him. if a guy is comfortable there with a nmc or modified ntc they'll make difficult for him to make deals. i think he painted himself into a corner . almost like he used the wrong paint.

How often do players refuse to waive though? They may for a certain team but in the end they usually waive for one they don't mind going to. Not sure on the exact details of the deal but it is also a Modified NTC so he may have to submit a list of teams he will go to. Players typically don't hold the team hostage so Yzerman should be able to move him if he's trying to.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Moving Johnson leaves the 2C spot either to Namestnikov or Flip. They'll try their hardest to move a winger before they think a second about trading Johnson. So which winger ? Palat is a coach favorite, Callahan's contract makes him unmovable, Drouin and Kucherov are no-go. It leaves you Alexander Killorn. Young, good, reliable and locked-up on a manageable contract. That's the logic I used and it makes perfect sense.

Killorn's cap hit probably won't be enough to get us under (we'd have to get rid of Filppula with our hands clean). My thinking is that whoever has the better year between Palat/Johnson will price themselves off the team. Either way, Yzerman will get a good trade return for one of our RFAs.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
How often do players refuse to waive though? They may for a certain team but in the end they usually waive for one they don't mind going to. Not sure on the exact details of the deal but it is also a Modified NTC so he may have to submit a list of teams he will go to. Players typically don't hold the team hostage so Yzerman should be able to move him if he's trying to.

i dont know. if that was the case i would think you would have seen some movement by now. players dont hold a team hostage but they bargained in good faith and maybe like where there at. in tampa the weather would be great, competitive team. why would you give up your no trade clause or nmc when your settled and happy there ?yzerman shouldnt have been handing them out like he has. if you check out generalfanager and what they have is correct, they dont have to worry about who there keeping for the expansion draft. they will have to keep all the guys with the clauses.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
i dont know. if that was the case i would think you would have seen some movement by now. players dont hold a team hostage but they bargained in good faith and maybe like where there at. in tampa the weather would be great, competitive team. why would you give up your no trade clause or nmc when your settled and happy there ?yzerman shouldnt have been handing them out like he has. if you check out generalfanager and what they have is correct, they dont have to worry about who there keeping for the expansion draft. they will have to keep all the guys with the clauses.

There hasn't been much movement because of the expansion draft, teams aren't taking on those contracts like they used to. I was thinking we'd move Filppula after the draft as there would be more willingness to obtain a player with a NMC. We also wouldn't have to pay to give them away in that scenario too.

Every GM hands out NTC and NMC a lot, it's not just a Yzerman thing. Patrick Sharp was a cup winning team and waived, Spezza was the captain and with the only franchise he knew and waived, St. Louis waived, players waive I'm not worried Filppula will hold it against us if we asked him.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
While the answer is not simple, the most likely scenario that will fall into place will be that our players will remain constant communication about trying to keep the team together. They'll egging each other on to sign discounted contracts. One of our guys (I think it was Alex Killorn) went on record saying he reached out to Nikita Kucherov via text encouraging him to do the same.

And once next offseason rolls around, guys like Palat, Johnson and Drouin will be getting an earful form the guys who signed the year prior, i.e Kucherov, Hedman, Stamkos, Killorn.

It's about the closest thing to tampering as you can possibly get and the Lightning have made no bones about it.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
There hasn't been much movement because of the expansion draft, teams aren't taking on those contracts like they used to. I was thinking we'd move Filppula after the draft as there would be more willingness to obtain a player with a NMC. We also wouldn't have to pay to give them away in that scenario too.

Every GM hands out NTC and NMC a lot, it's not just a Yzerman thing. Patrick Sharp was a cup winning team and waived, Spezza was the captain and with the only franchise he knew and waived, St. Louis waived, players waive I'm not worried Filppula will hold it against us if we asked him.

Two of those three guys wanted out. Does Filppula want out of Tampa?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012

and then other guys will tell you not to bother like hartnell. tb has four forwards and 4 defense with clauses and 1 goalie bishop. these are not small contracts either so a lot of teams cant even take them.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Killorn's cap hit probably won't be enough to get us under (we'd have to get rid of Filppula with our hands clean). My thinking is that whoever has the better year between Palat/Johnson will price themselves off the team. Either way, Yzerman will get a good trade return for one of our RFAs.

They'll trade either Palat or Johnson only if they're totally handcuffed IMO. I see them buying out Flip's last year, let walk Bishop and try to trade both Garrison and Killorn before they think about moving one of the triplets. But sure you never know, just my 2 cents.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Two of those three guys wanted out. Does Filppula want out of Tampa?

He might if he's getting 12 minutes per game. Brewer wanted out for that reason, and we wound up getting a high 3rd for him. Not saying that happens here, but players waive for a lot of reasons.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
They'll trade either Palat or Johnson only if they're totally handcuffed IMO. I see them buying out Flip's last year, let walk Bishop and try to trade both Garrison and Killorn before they think about moving one of the triplets. But sure you never know, just my 2 cents.

We'll probably lose a contract in the expansion draft. I have a feeling we might wind up leaving Killorn exposed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad