Speculation: What Tampa gonna do with their contract situations the next two seasons?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My two cents....

TB has 9 forwards of which they can only protect 7. They may move 1 of these forwards for exempt players or draft picks. One likely would be Filppula sent off to another team or to Vegas. His cap space likely can cover raises for the forwards who are resigned in 2017.

Callhan's cap space when it ends likely can be used for Kucherov or Drouin.

Filppula could be sent to Vegas with other prospects/picks.

In 2017 they will have about $18M+ cap raise for:

$5M to sign 2016 RFAs/roster spots filled
unload filppula (-$5M)
Johnson ($6)
Palat ($5M)

backup goalie ($1M)
2 younger Dmen (combined $3M)

total added salary is $15M

Getting tired of these conversations but this is likely what will happen. Instead could see Killorn or Namestnikov moved at expansion, Filppula moved maybe at the trade deadline? With Point about to break the NHL soon, it makes sense if we lose those two centers. Will still have Stamkos and Johnson at the 1C and 2C positions. I Don't see Drouin getting around a 6 and 6 deal after only one full NHL season. He'll get a bridge around 4 million. He needs a couple of full NHL seasons under his belt before getting that larger contract. Kucherov should be getting a big contract now. He has paid his dues, overpaid them. Which is why he is likely not signed yet.

Yzerman has bridged Vasy and will likely bridge Drouin and etc, so in 3 years , (well 4 years from now), when they are all due raises, Tampa will have contracts falling off, so Yzerman knows what he is doing. imo. Have Faith.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
This is a thread every month or so, Yzerman will figure it out... expect a trade within this month so Kucherov gets payed

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Mtl would be happy to help the Bolts and take Killorn for a prospect and a pick.

Andrighetto and a 2nd rounder should do it.

Yzerman would sooner leave him for Vegas to take. The player we save from expansion by doing so would be far more valuable than Ghetto and a 2nd, plus Killorn would be in the West on a team unlikely to make the SCF anytime soon rather than on a rival in the East.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Yzerman would sooner leave him for Vegas to take. The player we save from expansion by doing so would be far more valuable than Ghetto and a 2nd, plus Killorn would be in the West on a team unlikely to make the SCF anytime soon rather than on a rival in the East.

Not making this comment with respect to their SCF chances, but I have to think Anaheim would love Killorn and could make the trade worth our while without us being terrified of meeting him in the SCF.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We will work out a deal for Kucherov, we have 6.2 right now which is what he's worth on a 1 year deal, we can offer him that or a 2 year bridge, we don't need to pay him 7 right now when we don't have the money. Nesterov might not get signed and possibly traded for futures, hopefully with Condra to free up a few extra bucks.

We can entertain trades for Filppula, Coburn and Garrison all year, if no one bites we hold them to the expansion draft. Hopefully one of the 3 or Killorn get taken which will clear 3.7 to 5mil in cap which will pay Drouin and possibly Sustr/Koekkoek depending the player we lose. Bishop will be gone so his 6mil will pay the raises of Palat and Johnson. Let Boyle walk and with that and the cap raise fill in the roster with cheap ELC or 1 year deal cheap vets.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Not making this comment with respect to their SCF chances, but I have to think Anaheim would love Killorn and could make the trade worth our while without us being terrified of meeting him in the SCF.

That would be another option, yes. Basically all sorts of things would happen before we traded Killer to a rival, much less for so low a price.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
We will work out a deal for Kucherov, we have 6.2 right now which is what he's worth on a 1 year deal, we can offer him that or a 2 year bridge, we don't need to pay him 7 right now when we don't have the money. Nesterov might not get signed and possibly traded for futures, hopefully with Condra to free up a few extra bucks.

We can entertain trades for Filppula, Coburn and Garrison all year, if no one bites we hold them to the expansion draft. Hopefully one of the 3 or Killorn get taken which will clear 3.7 to 5mil in cap which will pay Drouin and possibly Sustr/Koekkoek depending the player we lose. Bishop will be gone so his 6mil will pay the raises of Palat and Johnson. Let Boyle walk and with that and the cap raise fill in the roster with cheap ELC or 1 year deal cheap vets.

Thats just disrespectfull towards Kucherov. The guy is clutch as hell and arguably been your best player the last couple of seasons. Not offering him a longterm contract after 42 points in 45 playoff games, 65+ points the last two seasons would be unfair and stupid and i highly doubt it would happen.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Thats just disrespectfull towards Kucherov. The guy is clutch as hell and arguably been your best player the last couple of seasons. Not offering him a longterm contract after 42 points in 45 playoff games, 65+ points the last two seasons would be unfair and stupid and i highly doubt it would happen.

He has been clutch in the playoffs but hasn't cracked 70 points in the regular season yet. Can't pay 7.5 for a 65 point player who isn't a center or shutdown forward.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
interesting pile of doodoo there no ? seems every player fans want to trade have no movement clauses i think theyll have 4 defenceman alone with no movement clauses

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Kucherov
Palat
Johnson
Drouin
Sustr
Nesterov

All of them need to be resigned before this season or the next. No chance they will be able to resign all of them unless they trade someone like Filppula or Callahan which will be hard and they will probably have to add something significant for someone to take them, and they both have a NMC in their contract.
How many of them will they be able to resign do you guys think and what can they get for the ones they have to get rid of? Positive for them is that all of them are RFA`s

People / Fans make these post while they like to mention expansion and pieces other teams will lose . Got to also thing in a city like Las Vegas will be open for business . I can see them wanting to contend quickly and paying a ransom for good players . They will have the cap space , They have an owner with deep pockets . I think a team with good players to trade because of cap reason will make out very well dealing with Las Vegas

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Agreed but he'll get something in the 6.5-7.0 range.

Which really isn't a lot of cap-space to clear for this year.

Next year we might have to move a real name, but if Filppula or Callahan have a bounceback season, they suddenly become a lot more than a cap dump. No one knows what exactly the situation will look like 12 months from now.

Right now, we're very slightly short on cash, and Yzerman's not exactly known for impatience. If we have to make a move, we'll make it. If we don't, we won't. Maybe something materializes with Bishop, maybe not. Maybe we move Coburn, or Filppula, or Condra. I sincerely doubt Yzerman's pulling his hair out.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Which really isn't a lot of cap-space to clear for this year.

Next year we might have to move a real name, but if Filppula or Callahan have a bounceback season, they suddenly become a lot more than a cap dump. No one knows what exactly the situation will look like 12 months from now.

Right now, we're very slightly short on cash, and Yzerman's not exactly known for impatience. If we have to make a move, we'll make it. If we don't, we won't. Maybe something materializes with Bishop, maybe not. Maybe we move Coburn, or Filppula, or Condra. I sincerely doubt Yzerman's pulling his hair out.

coburn fillipula and bishop all have nmc or ntcs so its not gonna be easy. same with garrison callahan killorn stralman hedman stamkos. i think stevie y has been a little to free with these clauses

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
coburn fillipula and bishop all have nmc or ntcs so its not gonna be easy. same with garrison callahan killorn stralman hedman stamkos. i think stevie y has been a little to free with these clauses

NMC's are on only an issue because of the expansion draft. Players also waive there's a lot so not that big of a deal. After the expansion draft passes players like Filpulla will have more value if they're not selected as they have a short deal and you don't have to worry about saving a spot for them. I can see Vegas not draft him but want him in a trade for the right price because he would help the team be respectable then he will be a hot commodity at the trade deadline and they can get some good assets for him.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Buy out Flip, trade Killer, let Bishop walk and probably trade Garrison also.
They just signed Killorn. They're not trading him. Using that logic, we should trade Vasilevskiy and keep Bishop. Make sense?

Trade Filps, buyout Callahan and listen cautiously to Johnson's demands. If he wants over 6M, sorry, he will be the casualty among our unsigned core talent.

Last edited:

TheGreat

Dec 5, 2012
That was my point: I was implying that Yzerman would give his left nut to sign Kuch that cheaply.

Ahh ,

By the way I think Yzerman will find a way to sign most of the RFA , there's still a lot time for him and Tampa

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
They just signed Killorn. They're not trading him. Using that logic, we should trade Vasilevskiy and keep Bishop. Make sense?

Trade Filps, buyout Callahan and listen cautiously to Johnson's demands. If he wants over 6M, sorry, he will be the casualty among our unsigned core talent.

Using that logic, he wouldn't have an NTC.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012

Moving Johnson leaves the 2C spot either to Namestnikov or Flip. They'll try their hardest to move a winger before they think a second about trading Johnson. So which winger ? Palat is a coach favorite, Callahan's contract makes him unmovable, Drouin and Kucherov are no-go. It leaves you Alexander Killorn. Young, good, reliable and locked-up on a manageable contract. That's the logic I used and it makes perfect sense.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Kucherov
Palat
Johnson
Drouin
Sustr
Nesterov

All of them need to be resigned before this season or the next. No chance they will be able to resign all of them unless they trade someone like Filppula or Callahan which will be hard and they will probably have to add something significant for someone to take them, and they both have a NMC in their contract.
How many of them will they be able to resign do you guys think and what can they get for the ones they have to get rid of? Positive for them is that all of them are RFA`s

Next season is a WIN NOW situation for Tampa Bay big time

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Once we can put Callahan on LTIR for the first month, Yzerman probably re-signs Kucherov.

From there, there are some cap games we can play with demoting Condra (either he gets claimed or ~900k of his 1.2 cap hit goes away) and Nesterov (who will likely get claimed or all of his cap hit goes away) to free up around 1.8 in cap space. That would leave us with functionally 8 million for Kucherov's contract.

More than enough. I think we probably already have a deal in principle but are waiting until we can play these games with waivers before we sign the contract.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
What would Tampa want for Johnson from Minnesota after the drafts next year?
3) One of the Triplets are traded. Palat is damn near untouchable in this system right now, so I think he gets a 5-6 year contract. Kuch will get resigned, likely to around 5-6 mil for 5-7 years.
Wait so your plan is to hope your best players like getting screwed over financially?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad