What Should we name the Salt Lake City Team? (Mod: stop with the religious comments)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Fellas

Lets be adults here and respectful to the folks in Arizona .

Here are my top choices IMO as a part time Utah resident.

1. Grizzlies- Sick Jersey/ Logo plus they could have Jazz Bear show up for games as part time mascot
2. Golden Eagles
3.Miners/Prospectors - The wasatch mtns , particularly Park City and Alta were founded as mining towns. It also doesnt really have any divisive LDS connotation
4. Raptors or something Dino themed- this tracks: Dinosaur NM , tons of paleontology throughout the state

5. Could be something skiing themed/ in reference to “The Greatest Snow on Earth”

6. Lakers (GSL, Lake Powell). Utah is a big Lake State

7. Something canyon related- No state can come close to competing with Utah in terms or Canyons. Utah is the Canyon State

Grizzlies / Raptors / Lakers - I think you try to stay away from any name closely associated with another North American pro team. So these are all right out.

Not as sure about staying away from college names - Golden Eagles is Southern Miss. Cougars (mentioned by others) is BYU.

Miners / Prospectors is safe if nothing else (unless they're worried about infringing on the CFL's Sacramento Gold Miners from the 90s, which I very much doubt).

Bees, or bee related would seem to be popular (see Utah's new flag), but hard to land on a specific name. "Bees" seems boring, "Stingers" sounds pretty minor-league, "Yellowjackets" too close to "Bluejackets".

Maybe Utah Swarm?

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Salt Lake Tsunami sounds realnice. Great Salt Lake has had two tsunamis (okay fine, strongly speculated due to earthquakes in 1909 & 1934). Not major ones lol but let's make the team one big bad tsunami

I like the Salt Lake Grizzlies.

Salt Lake Sting. Rolls off the tongue and is relevant to the state

I think the public image of the state will probably land them a name like the Salt Lake Eagles or something. Golden Eagles sounds cool but your 2nd to last franchise already got named Golden

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
From the original post I like the Golden Eagles... because the Golden Eagle is the largest predatory bird in North America... however I doubt they will do another team with "Golden" in the name so soon.

I don't think there's enough teams named after birds.

The Northern Harrier is a common hawk in Utah... and the Harrier Jet was named after this hawk... so maybe the Utah Harriers?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Grizzlies / Raptors / Lakers - I think you try to stay away from any name closely associated with another North American pro team. So these are all right out.

Not as sure about staying away from college names - Golden Eagles is Southern Miss. Cougars (mentioned by others) is BYU.

Miners / Prospectors is safe if nothing else (unless they're worried about infringing on the CFL's Sacramento Gold Miners from the 90s, which I very much doubt).

Bees, or bee related would seem to be popular (see Utah's new flag), but hard to land on a specific name. "Bees" seems boring, "Stingers" sounds pretty minor-league, "Yellowjackets" too close to "Bluejackets".

Maybe Utah Swarm?

I don’t know how safe Miners is when announcers will have to talk about how team X has been beating miners all night, or how if they win the cup the NHL will be accused of providing alcohol to miners.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I said in another thread that I'd like the Utah Copperheads if only Utah had the common decency to have copperheads. Utah Raptors would be fun too.

If the team is moved from Arizona, which I hope it's not, they should stick with the Coyotes.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Salt Lake Tsunami sounds realnice. Great Salt Lake has had two tsunamis (okay fine, strongly speculated due to earthquakes in 1909 & 1934). Not major ones lol but let's make the team one big bad tsunami

I like the Salt Lake Grizzlies.

Salt Lake Sting. Rolls off the tongue and is relevant to the state

I think the public image of the state will probably land them a name like the Salt Lake Eagles or something. Golden Eagles sounds cool but your 2nd to last franchise already got named Golden
Salt Lake City Sting would be my choice. For the reasons you gave. They can incorporate meaningful locale images with that brand. It would feel very authentic to the community there.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Maybe Utah Swarm?

Utah Honeymakers ;)

Rubi

Photographer
Jan 9, 2009
Salt Lake City Crusaders.

or is that politically incorrect these days?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad