What makes you hate/dislike a team?

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
as a habs fan

Boston : F*** that little rat Marchand
Ottawa : Tim Stuzle diving acting is better than Al Pacino acting
Toronto : Most annoying fan base , Tavares is an actual loser , HNIC riding them every chance they get . They actually threw that 3-1 lead against us in covid year and our GM should have been fired and instead gave us multiple dogshits contracts that offseason
Carolina : Owner is a loser
Columbus : I hate that freaking cannon so annoying
Rangers : Trouba , Kreider ramming Price , Being a GM is a joke for the franchise , always trade or gets ufa to build their teams.
Edmonton : fanbase think the entire world is against them.
Vegas : LITR abusers , like Rangers being a GM is a joke , ufas come there

im cool with Buffalo , Detroit , Florida , Tampa , Devils , NYI , Philly , Pittsburgh , Washington ,Arizona (Utah) , Chicago , Colorado , Dallas , Minnesota , Nashville , St-Louis , Winnipeg , Anaheim , L.A , San Jose , Seattle , Calgary and Vancouver

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
This grinds my gears more than anything: Fanbases with a victim complex. Their team always gets screwed by the league and never loses because the other team played better. It's always the refs fault. Even on rulings that are black and white (aka, the Makar non-offside goal STILL has Edmonton fans whinging, even though it was reviewed and very clearly onside).

The fun kind of hate towards other teams come from specific incidents which birth heated rivalries (aka, hating Detroit or Minnesota as an Avalanche fan).

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Toronto, Montreal, and to a lesser extent the Rangers are all just because they exist. I was always root against them and their franchise as long as their logo is represented in the league.

Teams like the Caps, Lightning, Blues will probably fade as time goes on and their current group of players leave for new ones. Although the Bolts are creeping into the above category.

bar1

Apr 16, 2012
I'm starting to hate Utah before it has even started. Just pick a name or come back when you have chosen a name.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
For me it's pretty simple. Nothing to do with geography, rivals, media, fans etc. I'm a fan of a specific team, but above all I'm a hockey fan and I'll watch any good hockey game.

What I like are teams that:

- Are commited to playing 200ft hockey (Aggresive forecheck and backcheck)
- That have solid depth rather than heavy top end
- Good structural play (Pack mentality)

Any team that meets this criteria I will like. Any team that plays strictly a skill game, that relies on a few players only, or that stretches the ice as main strategy I won't like. I quite like Tortorella teams because of that usually.

Also reflected in the players I like the most. Marchand, Barkov, Suzuki, Aho, McAvoy, Konecny, etc. Commited to playing both sides of the ice and playing smart hockey.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Whiney, conspiracy theory, tinfoil hat wearing fans. Which probably means I dislike most teams :)

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
Most of the time, it boils down to location and/or the team's fans. As a NY sports fan (Rangers, Jets, Yankees, Knicks) I'm pre-conditioned to hate all Boston and Philly teams. I loathe the NE Patriots more than anything, and love to see them be worse than the Jets now.

I also tend to hate teams that keep winning and I'm tired of seeing the same teams win all the time. I was happy to see Chicago win their first of 3 most recent cups, but after that, it got old seeing them keep winning. I never liked Pittsburgh, and it got really old when they were good (it's so refreshing to see them struggle these days!). I always like to see the teams that never win anything do well, and would much rather see a team like that win the Cup vs. a team that's won multiple already.

I think everyone can agree that it's impossible to hate Buffalo Sabres fans, they have been through hell the last 15 years. As a NY Jets fan, I can relate to the misery of missing the playoffs for over a decade.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
After over 20 years on this forum, including many years as a mod/admin, I can say that every fanbase has it's "good" and "bad" posters. Thus larger fanbases will have a larger amount of annoying fans, especially when their team is doing well. Not to mention I haven't met a single hockey fan in person that I disliked for any hockey related reason. Fanbases don't bother me, I've grown out of that.

What makes me dislike a team is the conduct of their players. Teams that are prevalent in diving, whining to officials, taunting opponents, faking injuries to draw a penalty, etc really bother me. And yes, I will have double standards when it's my team acting like I described. We're all biased, that's just the way it is.
This. Imagine hating on someone on this site just solely based on the team that they just happen to cheer for? Sounds extremely prejudice. Like grow up. Just because someone happens to like a team you hate doesnt mean theyre an annoying idiot who's entire opinion is worthless.

Thats literally how some people on this forum interact. Oh youre a fan of x? You shouldn't be talking about y then. As if they have some control over what the team they cheer for does or accomplishes.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The most popular answer in this thread is "The fans". But seriously now... y'all must realize fans aren't actually better or worse based on the team they root for. Obnoxious exists in equal proportions across every fanbase; if you're looking for it you'll find it.

Toronto, Montreal, and to a lesser extent the Rangers are all just because they exist. I was always root against them and their franchise as long as their logo is represented in the league.
^ This guy gets it.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
Being Devils or Islanders. That's it.

Never hated one or another team because of players- they come and go... I mean I might prefer one or another team to win a series, because of more eye pleasing style, and therefore more entertaining next round for neutral viewers, but that doesn't mean I hate the other team.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Genuine hate? Dirty players. Draisaitl is pretty easy to dislike, and I thought Evander Kane was dirty player before he even joined the Oilers. Elbowed Backstrom way back, elbowed Cale Makar in the WCF etc. Honestly don’t know how the Oilers have largely escaped the “dirty” label the past few years with a few other guys lol

“Hate” annoying fan bases, makes me root for chaos/bad stuff around a few teams. Don’t so much hate the actual teams themselves

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Being a thorn in the side of my team when it comes to the playoffs.

Playoff rivalries and playoff hopes and dreams being dashed is what makes me dislike a team.

I hate the uniform, not necessarily the players.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I was thinking, I don't hate Florida. No reason to. I'm starting to hate Edmonton. The constant fawning over McDavid, and it seems like every other thread is a 'Is McDavid good?', obsessive validation thread.

What makes you hate teams?
The real only answer is the teams fan base.

• Love
Reactions: Mike C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad