Player Discussion What is the Legacy of this Bruins Core?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
The legacy is underwhelming. The year they won the cup bergeron and marchand were not their 1st line players. It was krejci horton lucic. When those 2 elevated to the top line, they couldnt lift the cup once. They needed to be supported by better players, but they never got good enough to be who they needed. 1 cup in 20 years for bergy. 95% failure rate. Good player, hall of fame player. Not an all time championship level player though.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The legacy is underwhelming. The year they won the cup bergeron and marchand were not their 1st line players. It was krejci horton lucic. When those 2 elevated to the top line, they couldnt lift the cup once. They needed to be supported by better players, but they never got good enough to be who they needed. 1 cup in 20 years for bergy. 95% failure rate. Good player, hall of fame player. Not an all time championship level player though.

Such a terrible take.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Woof.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I have enjoyed being a fan of this core. The legacy of the Bruins franchise is their inability to close out series, and the fact that they had the talent to win more cups than they did.

Having said that, my dad regaled me with stories of the Big, Bad B's and I came of age in the mid-70s. I don't think any fan of that era would trade that in. Neither will I with this core. I'll look back on the Chara / Bergeron era with a smile,

Having said that, 2019 and 2023 will still be painful memories,.

Reactions: sarge88

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
I'm changing what I said before to success. Without this core this franchise would of continued into mediocrity for the prior decade +. Instead we got Bergeron,Krejci, Chara, etc that helped turn this franchise around. Without them the team is not on the map like it is today. Should we have more Cups? Sure but any team can say that. What we do know is this franchise is as popular as it is today because the contributions on and off the ice of those guys mentioned above, among many other core pieces throughout our domination. Not only that but those legends helped teach our new guys how to play and how to lead. McAvoy and Pasta are who they are because of Chara, Burger, and Marchand.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

What a dumb post.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I was thinking about this in a different, more abstract way earlier.....(boring meeting from 11-12:30 just after I saw that PB retired - so my mind wandered).

Imagine you know nothing about sports and somebody told you that every year teams will play 82 games but only 1/2 of those teams get the chance to play another 16-28.

But....the team that is the best for the last 16-28 games is the one that is celebrated and nobody cares who the best team was for the first 82 games.

I get it when people have the attitude that "only championships matter".

But, considering that just about every single fan has seen them play far more RS games than playoff games, and this team has won more RS games than any other team over the past 20 years -- it's very, very hard to say that this core wasn't successful.

Yes, 2019 was a huge disappointment, as was this spring --- but there are also, what 20+ teams who didn't play in a finals during that time period.

Al in all, this core/team since 2003 gets an A from me.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Underachieving.

Glad we got 1 cup. But should of had 3.
I'd have been happy with 2. Well, three would've been great, but two would've been fine. Better than one anyway (obviously lol.)

For me, they provided decades of happiness whilst winining more than others Always gave us a shot. Most teams cant claim that.

And one Cup. Good, certainly, but not good enough.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I was thinking about this in a different, more abstract way earlier.....(boring meeting from 11-12:30 just after I saw that PB retired - so my mind wandered).

Imagine you know nothing about sports and somebody told you that every year teams will play 82 games but only 1/2 of those teams get the chance to play another 16-28.

But....the team that is the best for the last 16-28 games is the one that is celebrated and nobody cares who the best team was for the first 82 games.

I get it when people have the attitude that "only championships matter".

But, considering that just about every single fan has seen them play far more RS games than playoff games, and this team has won more RS games than any other team over the past 20 years -- it's very, very hard to say that this core wasn't successful.

Yes, 2019 was a huge disappointment, as was this spring --- but there are also, what 20+ teams who didn't play in a finals during that time period.

Al in all, this core/team since 2003 gets an A from me.
All well and good if you "know nothing about sports", but not good enough if you do.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Wildly fun and 2011 was fantastic but Uber frustrating they didn’t get 2019

It comes down to game 7 2019

They win that completely different time line after

Bruins legacy is they won the big one in 2011 but to live happily ever after they needed 2019 at home especially

It will always bother me

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
For the last few years (summers) we've been thinking that maybe this will be the last of his career.
Now that it's over it's a bit surreal.
I just can't believe how empty this feels.
One Cup or 3, I still can't believe that the run is essentially over.
Bergeron is a superstar in our midst.
An unappreciated superstar (in Boston) IMO.
If no Tom Brady, PB would've gotten so much more attention.
Gone now, empty.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
For the last few years (summers) we've been thinking that maybe this will be the last of his career.
Now that it's over it's a bit surreal.
I just can't believe how empty this feels.
One Cup or 3, I still can't believe that the run is essentially over.
Bergeron is a superstar in our midst.
An unappreciated superstar (in Boston) IMO.
If no Tom Brady, PB would've gotten so much more attention.
Gone now, empty.

Think about where you were when this happened. My first true Bergeron memory.

Hard to believe it was nearly 20 years ago. But then think about all that's transpired since. Not just in hockey but life in general.

We literally watch a player enter as the youngest player in the entire league at barely 18-years old, all the way to his retirement as a Bruin two decades later. Surreal.

Victorias

May 1, 2022
Wildly fun and 2011 was fantastic but Uber frustrating they didn’t get 2019

It comes down to game 7 2019

They win that completely different time line after

Bruins legacy is they won the big one in 2011 but to live happily ever after they needed 2019 at home especially

It will always bother me

Agree. 2011 made up for the 3-0, 3-0 and I can live with 2013. But that Game 7 SCF at home was an embarrassing effort and to end with the 2023 flop leaves an awful taste.

Mad Dr Pepper

Jun 28, 2015
Quebec
A lot of good times.

This is what they achieved.

Even if we can agree that the core underachieved, in the end we've been blessed with incredible hockey with incredible players.

Even if I've been hurt, I've had a good time that's for sure.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
They've won more Stanley Cups than I have, so there's that........

Could they have won more? Maybe, but it ain't for me to judge. Its been a great 15 year run, and I'm thankful for it.

Looking forward to the next group to come along.......Might take a while, but they always do.

Reactions: sarge88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad