Player Discussion What is the Legacy of this Bruins Core?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Not sure why no one talks about how they blew it in 2013, but they sure as f*** did.

Game 4 was right there for them. Right there. And they gave it away (after blowing a two-goal third period lead in game 1).

I used to say this same thing but people were ok with 13 because we just won in 11.

Chicago imo wasn't leagues better than the Bruins which is how a lot of fans here seemed to cope with things.

Very little would have had to have gone different for the Bruins to go up 3-1 in that series. (Before anyone says it obviously the reverse is true)

I vividly remember the 3rd period boychuk goal in game 4 and I had never been more sure in my life the Bruins were going to win it in the 3rd. Would have been a classic Bruins game of that era that was following a well known script until Chicago won it in OT.

Bruins go up 3-1 and there's no way they blow that kind of series lead right?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I used to say this same thing but people were ok with 13 because we just won in 11.

Chicago imo wasn't leagues better than the Bruins which is how a lot of fans here seemed to cope with things.

Very little would have had to have gone different for the Bruins to go up 3-1 in that series. (Before anyone says it obviously the reverse is true)

I vividly remember the 3rd period boychuk goal in game 4 and I had never been more sure in my life the Bruins were going to win it in the 3rd. Would have been a classic Bruins game of that era that was following a well known script until Chicago won it in OT.

Bruins go up 3-1 and there's no way they blow that kind of series lead right?

I'll go to my grave believing they gave away a Cup in game 4 when the opposing goalie couldn't catch a beach ball.

Short Side High

Jul 11, 2006
Obviously feels like it should have been more than one cup. But as a fan who has no responsibility for the way things went, it’s been a really nice ride. The Bruins have been consistently decent to really good for a long time, and looking at the big picture, we’ve had it better than the overwhelming majority of the league.

I was resigned to a crushing first round defeat to Toronto in 2013 and then they made an insane comeback that I’ll always remember. After that it was house money and as a bonus they hammered Pittsburgh and New York. Losing to Binnington and the Blues sucked because Boston was the better team but it was still a great run. Only losing to an inferior Montreal in the second round and this past year were bitter playoff defeats to me. Ultimately I’ll grade on a curve and give this core an A- as a fan.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Ya, much like the rest of you I think ultimately it's underachieving. There was a lot of enjoyable hockey and a lot of great wins and compared to most other teams it was a great ride but game 7 against St. Louis will be painful forever much like Florida this past year. Great teams should win game 7s.

I cut them a little slack against Chicago because I think that was bad luck more than underachieving. I still believe if Bergeron is healthier we win that series.

Also wish we could have seen what a healthy Rick Nash could have delivered. We were always that one top winger away and tried so many things with Jagr and Iginla and so on and it just never quite got us there.

I will never however, forget beating Vancouver and the riot it caused. That was just pure ecstasy.

Reactions: NDiesel

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I was thinking about this in a different, more abstract way earlier.....(boring meeting from 11-12:30 just after I saw that PB retired - so my mind wandered).

Imagine you know nothing about sports and somebody told you that every year teams will play 82 games but only 1/2 of those teams get the chance to play another 16-28.

But....the team that is the best for the last 16-28 games is the one that is celebrated and nobody cares who the best team was for the first 82 games.

I get it when people have the attitude that "only championships matter".

But, considering that just about every single fan has seen them play far more RS games than playoff games, and this team has won more RS games than any other team over the past 20 years -- it's very, very hard to say that this core wasn't successful.

Yes, 2019 was a huge disappointment, as was this spring --- but there are also, what 20+ teams who didn't play in a finals during that time period.

Al in all, this core/team since 2003 gets an A from me.
Well I guess you could say that playoffs are basically an owner invention to make more money.

I was a Notre Dame football fan growing up in the mid to late 60's. They won a National Championship in 1966 just playing a RS schedule and blew a National Championship in 1964 losing to USC last game of the RS. So I actually remember
RS only producing Championchips.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Not sure why no one talks about how they blew it in 2013, but they sure as f*** did.

Game 4 was right there for them. Right there. And they gave it away (after blowing a two-goal third period lead in game 1).

Game 4 the Bruins never led. Chicago did blow a 2 goals lead, though.

They really did blow Game 1. And of course, Game 6.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Is there a way to go back and watch all of the games from this past season? Even just highlights? I tried on nhl.com and had technical difficulties.

I regret not paying closer attention to each game and soaking it all in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad