Player Discussion What is the Legacy of this Bruins Core?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
It was a pleasure to watch, 3 finals & 1 Cup. Tim Thomas....All World goalie for a few years. They altered the future of the Canucks, broke the hearts of millions of Leafs fans & pummelled the Habs a few times. Savard & Chara signing & Patrice blossom before our eyes. Looch, McQuaid & Thornton pulverizing people. Marchand become an elite winger....so much more !!!

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
So many spoiled takes.

No one is owed anything in this world.

That core brought the Cup to Boston

Not everything has been roses. Not by a long shot.

But not only did that core bring us a Cup to celebrate, it's also made it easy to be proud to be a Bruins fan through the ups and downs. I've cheered for so many players over these last 20 years whom I love unconditionally and felt a real privilege to be able to support.

And I think that will permeate for years to come. That will be the legacy.

Last edited:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I loved this core and everything they stood for and accomplished. I'm super grateful for the fun moments and life long memories.

Could they have won more? yes. Does it hurt that they didn't? Absolutely. Like Marchand said, those what-ifs will stick with them for the rest of their lives.

But life is littered with thousands of what-ifs. What if the Bruins didn't select Bergeron? What if the Bruins traded Marchand after his first 20 games as a pro? What if Chara signed with the Kings?

We have been lucky as fans to have had special players wear the Bruins jersey for this run.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
They should have had another Cup. The core was too talented, too good, for too long, not have won another. 2019 will be that one asterisk or blemish to a stellar resume. Could have taken this core from all time Bruins, to all time NHLers

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
great core, should had more cups but came up short. Definitely more fun times than not during the core seasons. Anyone around before this time know how lucky we have been. Years of has beens and Trent Mc types up and down the lineup. Belch

Reactions: Kegs

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
We should be lucky we got 1. This team needs to count its lucky stars for Tim Thomas and Aaron Rome going full bonehead. This team very well could of rolled over after going down 2-0 to Vancouver

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Now that it’s over, I’ve made peace with the fact that they only won the one Cup.

I’ve been among the most critical of this organization, including management and the core pieces.

It’s hard to say a team ever should win the Cup, so I’ll refrain from saying they should have won 2 or 3 Cups.

I will say they could have won multiple Cups. It was there to be had, but they came up short.

I have my poster of Tim Thomas Conn Smythe down in the basement.

The fact that that’s the only Cup they’ve won in my lifetime makes that season, and that particular group of players, a bit more special.

To put an overall letter grade on the thing? B+

Very very good.
Not great. Not an all time team.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Now that it’s over, I’ve made peace with the fact that they only won the one Cup.

I’ve been among the most critical of this organization, including management and the core pieces.

It’s hard to say a team ever should win the Cup, so I’ll refrain from saying they should have won 2 or 3 Cups.

I will say they could have won multiple Cups. It was there to be had, but they came up short.

I have my poster of Tim Thomas Conn Smythe down in the basement.

The fact that that’s the only Cup they’ve won in my lifetime makes that season, and that particular group of players, a bit more special.

To put an overall letter grade on the thing? B+

Very very good.
Not great. Not an all time team.

I agree almost entirely with this except I’ll say it… they absolutely should have won in 2019 and had one more cup.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Absolutely nothing beats 2011.

Could go 82-0, but it still wouldn't compare to seeing that happen.

A fun ride, but overall, a feeling of they could have gotten one or two, but couldn't get it done.

Some of my favorite sports times during Bergeron's time, and honestly, may just feel like I'm missing something knowing he's done.

A lot of whatifs, while not full blown regrets, winning was great, but the almosts will be forgotten with time. We'll remember 2011.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Absolutely nothing beats 2011.

Could go 82-0, but it still wouldn't compare to seeing that happen.

A fun ride, but overall, a feeling of they could have gotten one or two, but couldn't get it done.

Some of my favorite sports times during Bergeron's time, and honestly, may just feel like I'm missing something knowing he's done.

A lot of whatifs, while not full blown regrets, winning was great, but the almosts will be forgotten with time.
Yup, they unfortunately are in last place for the past 15ish years to all the teams comparable.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
It’s an “A” for me. Lots of winning. And they did it by always trying to win. Trying to lose to win is some other franchises moto as u can see by the list. I think it’s lazy and doesn’t always work. The owners of this team have come a long way as far as I’m concerned. I feel like the owners always want to win. And I like that. As nice as it would be to win 3 cups. If it means spending my money to watch a non competitive team for 3 years it’s not happening. I’ll be streaming those years….

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
2019 was a missed opportunity. That one will always sting a bit.

Brought the only cup in my lifetime and there is no question when looking at my time as a fan of the Bruins, this 2007-08 to present run is the most enjoyable era of my time.

Went from being a franchise that had alienated a lot of fans and players to a place where the building is consistently sold-out and players now force moves to get to play here.

We can debate all day about where they rank, but in my opinion, this franchise is unquestionably one of the Top 5 franchises of the salary cap era and one of the definitive teams thus far of the salary cap era.

As far as defensive prowess goes, the Boston Bruins took the mantel from the pre-lockout New Jersey Devils as the preeminent defensive team in the NHL. The numbers speak for themselves. When people think really strong defensive team, now most people think about the Boston Bruins.

Last edited:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I have mixed feelings about this core. Yes I loved them. Who wouldn't love guys like Chara, Krejci, Lucic & Bergeron? They were great players & are great people.

However IMO their legacy is one of underachievement when you look at the talent level. Yes they won a lot of regular season games but when it really mattered they faltered 2 of the 3 times they made the Final. 2019 is especially galling when you compare the Bruins to the Blues in terms of talent, at least in 2013 Chicago was equal/slightly better in talent than the Bruins.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I loved the team...but at the end of the day, I was disappointed that we only won 'once'.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned in the thread, and while I wasn't born during the glory years in the 70's, the one thing I've always read/heard/watched...those teams should've won a lot more than 2 - I think the same applies with this core.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I’d be curious to see someone historically versed in hockey to post similarly talented cores and their overall body of work results

Something tells me there have been a lot of great 5-6 guys on teams that never won or only won once.

The cores off the top of my head that were great enough to win multiple times are;

Crosby - Malkin - Letang et al

Lemieux - Jagr et al

Yzerman - Federov et al

Kucherov - Stamkos et al

Kane - Toews - Keith et al

LA I can’t even name that core beyond Brown Quick and Doughty but are they even seen as in the same echelon as the above? They had a lot of bad years surrounding the good ones. Bruins take care of the blues like they should have and they aren’t mentioned below LA that’s for sure

Who else? Devils? Avalanche? I didn’t bother with 80’s and before since it was such a different era that lacked the same parity, especially as the 2000’s

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
They bullied the Bruins. I have no issue with that.

I don’t mind bullying, what I don’t like is charging that ends with obvious targeting of the head. They did that constantly especially early on, it worked in taking out Gryzz (who we often forget is the only guy that scored in game 7) and then they let up a bit.

Bruins still lost that series and I give the blues credit for having the hockey gameplan they did, but I don’t have any respect for head hunting nor Berube’s antics, or Cassidy’s silence

I do really wonder how that series turns out if Lucic is on the roster instead of Backes (who wasn’t utilized in game 7 like he should have been anyways) and Karson f***ing Kuhlman

Reactions: BMC

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I never thought I’d live to see the Bruins win the Stanley Cup as long as the Jacobs family owned the team, but they did. So, thank you.

But there isn’t anyone here than can convince me that the Bruins shouldn’t have had at least one more. Probably two.

Color me “disappointed.”

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I’d be curious to see someone historically versed in hockey to post similarly talented cores and their overall body of work results

Something tells me there have been a lot of great 5-6 guys on teams that never won or only won once.

The cores off the top of my head that were great enough to win multiple times are;

Crosby - Malkin - Letang et al

Lemieux - Jagr et al

Yzerman - Federov et al

Kucherov - Stamkos et al

Kane - Toews - Keith et al

LA I can’t even name that core beyond Brown Quick and Doughty but are they even seen as in the same echelon as the above? They had a lot of bad years surrounding the good ones. Bruins take care of the blues like they should have and they aren’t mentioned below LA that’s for sure

Who else? Devils? Avalanche? I didn’t bother with 80’s and before since it was such a different era that lacked the same parity, especially as the 2000’s
Kopitar for LA.

Reactions: KnightofBoston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad