Speculation: What (if anything) does Colorado do about their goaltending?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I mean it's a pattern with Grub. Good first games of the series and then he completely falls apart.

Two series is not enough to say its a pattern. He was fine against Calgary, Arizona and St.Louis. I get Grubs isn't a goalie who can win you a series by himself (he also doesn't get paid like one); but he shouldn't get a disproportionate amount of blame either.

Reactions: IWantSakicAsMyGM

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Two series is not enough to say its a pattern. He was fine against Calgary, Arizona and St.Louis. I get Grubs isn't a goalie who can win you a series by himself (he also doesn't get paid like one); but he shouldn't get a disproportionate amount of blame either.
I'm just saying he's one of the problems. He wasn't good enough and that's why he isn't here anymore. Just like Nemeth, Graves, and Soda. Obviously there are other factors for Grub and Graves not coming back, but I don't see what the issue with saying Gru wasn't good is considering literally everyone of the Avs board was saying that his entire tenure.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I'm just saying he's one of the problems. He wasn't good enough and that's why he isn't here anymore. Just like Nemeth, Graves, and Soda. Obviously there are other factors for Grub and Graves not coming back, but I don't see what the issue with saying Gru wasn't good is considering literally everyone of the Avs board was saying that his entire tenure.

The issue is that the facts don't seem to match up with what you're saying. The Avs were actively trying to re-sign Grubauer right up until he signed with Seattle, so apparently Sakic thought he was good enough and wanted to bring him back for 5 more years. The only reason he isn't here is that Seattle offered him a 6th year and he signed with them.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The issue is that the facts don't seem to match up with what you're saying. The Avs were actively trying to re-sign Grubauer right up until he signed with Seattle, so apparently Sakic thought he was good enough and wanted to bring him back for 5 more years. The only reason he isn't here is that Seattle offered him a 6th year and he signed with them.
The facts do though? We've gone out the last 3 years in the 2nd round and outside the Dallas series the team wasn't good enough to win a series. Grubauer statistically is part of that problem. Just like Jost, Compher, Graves, Nemeth, and Soderberg not being good enough. Sakic may have tried to re sign him but that doesn't mean it would've been the right move. This is all coming from one of the few guys who defended Grub throughout his tenure from all the criticism he got while he was here.

Reactions: Alienblood

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
The facts do though? We've gone out the last 3 years in the 2nd round and outside the Dallas series the team wasn't good enough to win a series. Grubauer statistically is part of that problem. Just like Jost, Compher, Graves, Nemeth, and Soderberg not being good enough. Sakic may have tried to re sign him but that doesn't mean it would've been the right move. This is all coming from one of the few guys who defended Grub throughout his tenure from all the criticism he got while he was here.

Sure, overall the team wasn't good enough and Grubauer was part of that. But when you make claims like "He wasn't good enough and that's why he isn't here anymore", the facts do not support those claims. The facts are that Sakic was actively trying to give him a 5 year contract and wanted him to continue to be our starter, and Seattle offering him the 6th year is the real reason why he's not here. It had nothing to do with the Avs thinking he wasn't good enough, no matter who said what on the Avs boards.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Price was great. Who knows what he is after another injury, off ice issues and age.
Price won't be traded until healthy. Which is not this year. But he is the only goalie who can get AVS close to a Cup. All other good ones not available. AVS be gone second round at latest. Sets up potential trade next year.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Price won't be traded until healthy. Which is not this year. But he is the only goalie who can get AVS close to a Cup. All other good ones not available. AVS be gone second round at latest. Sets up potential trade next year.
This loaded Avs team doesn’t need a better goalie than just solid. They’ve got the talent to win with Grubs, Kuemper or Frankie. They could win with that guy. It’s @ team sport and the Avs already have all they need.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

One more year older. No thanks.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
These Habs fans just don’t understand the meaning of the word no. We don’t want Price for the umpteenth time.

It’s like Drouin all over again. Surprised he’s not being pawned off in these Price offers because you know, we just have this burning desire to pair him with MacK and make the best line in the league about 100x worse…

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Price isn't available he won't be traded.
Yes!!! Price stays with the Habs!!!

Kuemper is 7-0-0 since returning from injury. Nearly a 0.93% save percentage and 7.02 goals saved above expectation (3rd best in NHL). Stats per Peter Baugh.

the Avs already have their playoff goalie. His name is Kuemper and he’s good. He has been a good NhL goalie for several seasons.

Reactions: Alienblood

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Kuemper was awesome tonight in crushing Peg.

He was fine overall, but his rebound control and ability to freeze a puck was hot garbage IMO. There were multiple times that I was glad a Stastny or Wheeler weren't on the ice. Those guys have a knack for picking up those goals down low against us.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
He was fine overall, but his rebound control and ability to freeze a puck was hot garbage IMO. There were multiple times that I was glad a Stastny or Wheeler weren't on the ice. Those guys have a knack for picking up those goals down low against us.
Kuemper is the only reason that score wasn’t 7:4 last night. The PK (EJ and LOC) really blew the only goal. That was entirely on those two for losing their positioning. Kuemper made a sick save on the deflected shot from the point. LOC can’t be in la La land at that moment.

the 3 on 1 save was sublime. That one stole a goal away from Peg.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Media said this but I'm not entirely sure the Avs were.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Kuemper is the only reason that score wasn’t 7:4 last night. The PK (EJ and LOC) really blew the only goal. That was entirely on those two for losing their positioning. Kuemper made a sick save on the deflected shot from the point. LOC can’t be in la La land at that moment.

the 3 on 1 save was sublime. That one stole a goal away from Peg.

Perhaps I watched a different game where there were rebounds and scrambles off fairly routine shots.
I wouldn't question your insight, especially in a trade thread.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Perhaps I watched a different game where there were rebounds and scrambles off fairly routine shots.
I wouldn't question your insight, especially in a trade thread.
I definitely question your insights.

Did you miss the final score of 7:1 where Kuemper had a 97.1% save percentage and faced the same number of high danger chances as their goalie?

I don’t think Kuemper is better than Winnipegs goalie in general. Pegs goalie is top 5 IMO. Maybe top 3.

But last night, the goalie with rebound control issues was very clearly the visitor’s goalie. Was definitely one of Kuemper’s best games. He bailed out the Avs lousy PK several times.

Reactions: Avaholic29

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I definitely question your insights.

Did you miss the final score of 7:1 where Kuemper had a 97.1% save percentage and faced the same number of high danger chances as their goalie?

I don’t think Kuemper is better than Winnipegs goalie in general. Pegs goalie is top 5 IMO. Maybe top 3.

But last night, the goalie with rebound control issues was very clearly the visitor’s goalie. Was definitely one of Kuemper’s best games. He bailed out the Avs lousy PK several times.

It is well established only 1 goalie in a game can have rebound issues and all rebounds become chances because the opposition is in a good position to capitalize.

As I said, far be it from me to disagree with you in a trade thread. I will try harder to improve my impression of the game play on Saturday. Promise

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Kuemper got better as the game went on, but he was not good in the first period.

That PPG was absolutely his fault. Can't be giving up rebounds that juicy even on a deflected shot. Just can't happen.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Kuemper got better as the game went on, but he was not good in the first period.

That PPG was absolutely his fault. Can't be giving up rebounds that juicy even on a deflected shot. Just can't happen.
That goal was absolutely EJ and LOCs fault for skating around like morons out of position and unaware of where the puck was and their responsibilities in a PK.

EJ allowed an uncontested tip from the slot and LOC was lost in the middle of the ice covering no one or nothing as he’d lost all gap control.

EJ is too slow to be your top PK defender. He and JJ have been much worse than Graves at PK defending. Too slow to loose picks. Too slow to block off passing lanes or get into shooting lanes. Slow sticks. Avs have a real weakness on the defensive side of their PK. Starts with JJ and EJ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad